Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brexiteer complains he has to wait in queue at EU airport: ‘This isn’t the Brexit I voted for’

Yossarian

free shrugs
I take it all back. With Boris at the helm, what can possibly go wrong? In fact, we'll probably go through immigration even quicker now that our great nation has got independence from Europe and its bendy banana rules.
Maybe after being incessantly reminded of Britain's contribution to the Second World War, they'll introduce a special fast-track "Liberator" queue where groveling Dutch officials will wave British citizens through after presenting them with flowers.

The39thStep

Since the fast lane is tied to single market countries, if Al Johnson pivots to the EFTA, they won't. This currently looks fantastically unlikely, so British citizens would be expected to join the non-E.E.A./Swiss queue, the one any remotely frequent traveller to the Continent will have noticed is often packed (and bizarrely, quite a few British travellers insist on using it).

Can't see this going down well with many who voted for Brexit, which, along with everything from job losses to the loss of pet passports, will pile on the pressure to get talking to Norway and pals.
I can’t say I’m an expert of every EU airport but my experience of queues at the ones I use is very different , and you are right the non EU lanes are full of Brits . I think very often they sign posted as EU plus others.

The39thStep

Maybe after being incessantly reminded of Britain's contribution to the Second World War, they'll introduce a special fast-track "Liberator" queue where groveling Dutch officials will wave British citizens through after presenting them with flowers.
Tulips one would hope and small statues of some kid with a finger in a dam.

littlebabyjesus

one of Maxwell's demons
Nothing has changed yet because, I have already patiently explained many posts again, the UK is currently in a transition period with the EU during which travel arrangements will not change until January 2021. And after that, things will almost certainly change and - unless you blindly believe in the awesome negotiating power of the Tories - there is, I believe, a very good chance that things will get worse.

I do hope this fairly obvious statement will now fully sink in and you won't switch back to SHOUTY CAPITALS and employing unhinged, reality-lost words like 'Trumpian.'
tbf, the best hope for reasonable travel arrangements to/from the EU is the absolutely appalling negotiating power of the Tories. As Azrael said, there's a long way to go and a lot to happen, and while EFTA/Norway+ may look unlikely right now, come November it might be looking increasingly plausible.

As a British citizen, it is my sincere hope that the EU negotiators trample all over Boris Johnson's ambitions in every single sphere of the negotiations.

The39thStep

My position would be on HS2, money for bus services, bailing out Flybee, money for high streets and what ever they get from Brexit negotiations is that they don’t go far enough rather than just opposing every issue they try and resolve . I certainly be cheering on the EU either .

Saul Goodman

It's all good, man
Banned
How will it be any different to travelling to a non-EU country now? I don't recall ever having to wait for hours at passport control in a non-EU country. Although the last time I went to America, they did insist on doing an iris scan, which was a little scary, but I don't recall ever thinking 'I didn't think it would take this long'. I don't see how that's going to change.

Marty1

Ok Boomer
Spread by fake delivery drivers.
Right, go on then - I’ll finally bite as this is the third or so time you’ve spouted that.

How am I a fake delivery driver?

:facepalm:

If you could hurry up so as not to derail this thread any longer.

editor

hiraethified
How will it be any different to travelling to a non-EU country now? I don't recall ever having to wait for hours at passport control in a non-EU country. Although the last time I went to America, they did insist on doing an iris scan, which was a little scary, but I don't recall ever thinking 'I didn't think it would take this long'. I don't see how that's going to change.
I had a 3 hour wait last time I visited New York.

editor

hiraethified
I've waited longer in my GP's waiting room for a pre-booked appointment.
Well there's a totally on-topic and relevant comparison, but it's great to know that you're so time-rich you're happy to wait three hours in any given queue. Some people have places they need to be, and deadlines they have to meet, and they can lose money and sometimes their own job when they're unnecessarily held up by bureaucracy.

Saul Goodman

It's all good, man
Banned
Well there's a totally on-topic and relevant comparison, but it's great to know that you're so time-rich you're happy to wait three hours in any given queue. Some people have places they need to be, and deadlines they have to meet, and they can lose money and sometimes their own job when they're unnecessarily held up by bureaucracy.
It's not that I'm time-rich (but I actually am. I never have to be anywhere at any time :cool: ). It's just that I'm a realist, and realise that travelling to another country may result in an hour or three between getting off the plane and exiting the terminal. If you have to be there before a certain time, take an earlier flight.

Azrael

circling Airstrip One
tbf, the best hope for reasonable travel arrangements to/from the EU is the absolutely appalling negotiating power of the Tories. As Azrael said, there's a long way to go and a lot to happen, and while EFTA/Norway+ may look unlikely right now, come November it might be looking increasingly plausible.

As a British citizen, it is my sincere hope that the EU negotiators trample all over Boris Johnson's ambitions in every single sphere of the negotiations.
Given that some 60 Tory MPs voted for a basic E.E.A. deal in the indicative votes (and more would've if the payroll had been given a free choice), there's at least a theoretical caucus for it within the parliamentary party. They're currently whipped in every sense, but when the economic reality starts to bite, who knows. It's the only way Brexit has half a chance of being accepted long-term, so I'd be overjoyed if it somehow happened.

Honestly though, of all the many issues to get vexed about, including potential consequences of leaving the EU, waiting longer in airport queues is a bit of a shit one. And I say this as somebody who hates airports (am fine with flying, hate the stuff either end) and who fully understands how stressful flying with young kids etc is. But still.

editor

hiraethified
It's not that I'm time-rich (but I actually am. I never have to be anywhere at any time :cool: ). It's just that I'm a realist, and realise that travelling to another country may result in an hour or three between getting off the plane and exiting the terminal. If you have to be there before a certain time, take an earlier flight.
Has that happened to you often on the Eurostar, then? Or between EU countries?

Azrael

circling Airstrip One
Honestly though, of all the many issues to get vexed about, including potential consequences of leaving the EU, waiting longer in airport queues is a bit of a shit one. And I say this as somebody who hates airports (am fine with flying, hate the stuff either end) and who fully understands how stressful flying with young kids etc is. But still.
Yeah well, this is the country that saw a string of news reports in the late '90s about the woes of family pets stuck in quarantine, leading to the pet passport scheme being set up. A successful Brexit's far likelier to be foiled by people having their holidays wrecked than any number of earnestly argued papers about a percentage drop in GDP.

Saul Goodman

It's all good, man
Banned
Exactly. Even if the story were true, it's still a non-story.

Has that happened to you often on the Eurostar, then? Or between EU countries?
I've never been on the Eurostar, and no, I've never had major delays at an EU destination, but I have had to wait an hour at Boston, which I didn't believe was anything remotely resembling a tweetworthy experience, and if it does transpire that clearing customs takes a little longer, what harm? It'll be one of the many joys of not being in the EU. Thankfully, I have an Irish passport :cool:

Yeah well, this is the country that saw a string of news reports in the late '90s about the woes of family pets stuck in quarantine, leading to the pet passport scheme being set up. A successful Brexit's far likelier to be foiled by people having their holidays wrecked than any number of earnestly argued papers about a percentage drop in GDP.
Fair point. See also unavailability/high prices on non essential food & stuff. Although I don't see prohibitive checks/queues at borders being a real issue, maybe temporarily in right circs I suppose. But it serves noones interests.

MrSki

Who am I to say you're wrong

Sorry I don't want to break the rules and just post a video. This thread is even more fucked than the UK will be next year. Colin is experiencing his 30 minutes of fame & has to live with it. For him it might even be worse than brexit.

Bahnhof Strasse

A-wob a-bob bob
It’s numbers.

Last time I landed in New York I had my missus and two kids with me, we walked off the plane, through immigration and picked up our luggage within about ten minutes of the 747 docking at the gate.

There were 400 people behind us.

The secret is positioning yourself ahead of them, if your time is so fucking precious that a thirty minute wait affects your schedule, buy a first class ticket. You’re a rock star after all...

MrSki

Who am I to say you're wrong
Let's all laugh at everyone who voted for Brexit at every available opportunity, that will make us feel better right? Told you. Fucking muppets.
I am not laughing but I hope those that did will stand up and own it.