Bread Making

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Epona, May 6, 2019.

1. Epona

Epona Down with battered parsnips

I have not been able to make bread for a while due to arthritis in my hands and wrists - but I have found a food processor which will get me over that hurdle!

Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for dough for a small bloomer type (ie not in a tin) loaf, preferably with an eye on the amount of salt? I know a certain amount of salt is required to stop the leavening process of the yeast, but 10g that I see in many recipes seems excessive.

UnderAnOpenSky and Badgers like this.
  2. Epona

I think I picked the worst day to do this, the weather is cold and dismal. Have sat the bowl of dough over my computer to keep it warm so it can rise :D

farmerbarleymow, TopCat and Badgers like this.
  3. Epona

And now one of my cats is going "oooh what are you doing there?" and is trying to mess with the bowl of dough :rolleyes:

4. Epona

It is rising, but very slowly - we'll be here all day at this rate - any tips?

Badgers likes this.
  5. 8ball

8ball Chipperer than average

They add protein.

[​IMG]

6. Epona

:D :D

Badgers likes this.
  7. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

A slowly risen dough is often superior. Play with cats for a bit.

8. Epona

My cats are like brooches, they spend all day pinned to me :D

(I feel I should add, I do not physically attach them to me, they of their own free will climb onto me and spend most of the day being quite frankly bloody annoying but also incredibly sweet :D )

UnderAnOpenSky and TopCat like this.
  9. Epona

And then I decided to do something else for a bit and watch the latest episode of Game of Thrones, and then I went "Oh fuck, I left some bread proving in the kitchen 4 hours ago".

It is now in the oven.

Honestly I think the dough could be a bit firmer - next time a little less water and I shouldn't be frightened of giving it another 30 seconds or so in the food processor. We'll see how it turns out. I will report back once it is cooked!

TopCat and weltweit like this.
  10. Epona

Yeah it doesn't look great - the dough was not firm enough and it kind of spread during cooking so I have ended up with a massive flatbread. It is fine, it is edible, which isn't a terrible result tbh. I'm good at cooking, but baking is something I do rarely, so for a first attempt I think it is ok-ish.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  11. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

This is my basic light/bloomer type bread recipe - works well in tin or tray.

Flour - 450g, usually it is a 50/50 mix of white and wholegrain/multigrain to help keep it light. a hundred grams or-so of Spelt flower also adds excellent flavour but too much can make it into the bread equivalent of The Blob..!
    Sugar - Two tablespoons, lightly heaped (40g approx) or a similar amount of honey.
    Salt - about a third to half a smaller teaspoon (2.5-3g)
    Olive oil - two tablespoons. Also works well with cold pressed rapeseed oil .
    Yeast - one to two teaspoons, depending on brand and how fast you want it to rise. Two tsps Doves Farm is impressive!
    About 50mins for a fine bloomer!

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    ShiftyBagLady and Epona like this.
  12. Epona

I am scoffing some now - although it ended up flatter than I imagined, the taste and texture are good, this is a solid start. :)

13. Schmetterling

Schmetterling I saw something nasty in the woodshed!

As far as anyone else outside of the thread is concerned? You meant to make flatbread. ;)

14. Epona

See this is why I baulked at the amount of salt, cos I have scoffed a lot of it and that is 10x more salt than I usually eat in a day. I am going to store the rest for tomorrow.

I am definitely going to do this again, I think I know where I need to adjust things to do better next time, so that I have a firmer dough :)

I think that, taking into consideration that the dough was a bit wet and a little under-kneaded, it actually turned out pretty well.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  15. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I'm still a bit of an amature, but did you stretch and fold it? I do this, even through I use a food processor and does make the dough firmer. Appolgies if you can't because of the arthritis.

16. pogofish

Apologies to anyone who might try my recipe but that should read - Two Teaspoons of yeast, not tablespoons. Which would probably engulf your kitchen..!

ShiftyBagLady likes this.
  17. pug

pug Well-Known Member

How much water do you put in approximately ?

18. pogofish

Approx 290ml. Generally warmed-up

pug likes this.
  19. AnnaKarpik

AnnaKarpik Queen of all she surveys

Top tip for cold days; put covered dough in the oven with a bowl of boiling water. It will rise a treat!

20. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Look up Jin Lahey’s no-knead bread. It’s very easy and has great flavour because of the overnight fermentation. I have made a sourdough for years now and everyone thinks I am some kind of baking genius. :thumbs::D

21. Epona

The recipe I used called for 320ml water, but the dough did end up a bit wet so I'd be inclined to reduce that in future.

I think in general, if kneading by hand the water should be around body temperature (so 1 part boiling/very hot water to 2 parts cold), but if kneading in a food processor the friction in the bowl creates sufficient heat and you should use cold water (and add it gradually once the processor is running), using warm could heat the dough enough to kill the yeast.

pug and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  22. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

I too have been doing this for years, following Ms T's technique, and it's so un-labour intensive I've had no trouble making a loaf every week however busy I am.

Badgers likes this.
  23. Sodapop

Sodapop Well-Known Member

You can buy a bread machine for about 30 quid these days, it changed my life. Real bread for less than 3 minutes work

UnderAnOpenSky and Badgers like this.
  24. pug

pug Well-Known Member

I had a bread machine, it broke so I just made bread by hand instead. I keep the dough in the fridge now for up to a week and just cut off lumps and bake them when i feel like it, it's not really much more work than the bread machine but I rarely make or want big loaves it's mostly rolls, flatbreads, pizzas and for all of those I don't have to wait for the dough to warm up I just put the dough on the tray, squish it a bit and then put it in the oven.

25. Sodapop

Sourdough bread is probably the best bread in the world

26. MrCurry

MrCurry Home cook in exile

I’d be interested in copying someone’s recipe for a tin loaf, as I have some big loaf pans (probably 800g-1kg) which I’ve never used even once. Something I could machine mix then turn out into the pan for an overnight rise then bake in the morning would be good. I’ve always baulked a bit at hand kneading - too much mess, sorry!

27. Epona

I have managed to get hold of a small loaf tin, so will try halving a dough recipe - with only 2 of us it is difficult to get through a standard loaf in the period of time that one stays fresh without all the preservatives, so small loaves more often are definitely the way to go for us.

I am not going to get a bread machine, I am already short on counter space due to all the gadgets - I cannot knead by hand, but I have a decent food processor and an oven and that should be sufficient to make bread with little effort once I get into the habit of doing so.

28. Sodapop

Do you have a freezer? If so would be worth making two loaves and freezing one.

29. Epona

I have a small freezer which is usually full of other stuff, no room for bread. I need to make bread and eat it.

30. MrCurry

MrCurry Home cook in exile

I found this video yesterday, while researching how to make tin loafs. His “around the clock” kneading method seems like it would be easier and use less muscle powder than what I understood a traditional kneading technique to be, so I don’t know if this might help you Epona. I think the initial mix to just combine the flour and water could certainly be done in a food processor.

His results look good, so I might try and copy his method, even though it’s quite complex. At least I have a better idea now of the stages I need to go through and the state of the dough at each stage. Probably (hopefully) not as hard as it looks.

Ps. He has other videos for naan bread and pizza dough too!

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 7:43 AM