Braintree v Dulwich, Sat 7 September

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Bugpowder Dust, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

It's a repeat of one of the contests in our recent FA Trophy run, where we drew 0-0 at Braintree then demolished them 5-2 at Champion Hill.

Seem to remember in the first leg that Braintree petulantly banned the travelling rabble from their clubhouse and segregated the ground unnecessarily.

Anyone know if there will be a repeat of that at the weekend?

2. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I'd be very surprised if there's segregation for this match. They were in the National Division at the time so possibly segregated all their matches as a matter of course, and I think they'd recently had crowd trouble against Dagenham. Their attendance figures are no more than middling for this division.

The Orange Tree in Cressing Road was the designated pub for away supporters last time and everyone seemed happy with it. A decent large pub with good service:

The Orange Tree Pub in Essex

No planned engineering works on the railway this time, it's an hourly service from Liverpool Street departing at 48 minutes past the hour, journey time 62 minutes, also calling at Stratford. The ground is about a 15 minute walk from the station.

crocustim likes this.
  3. Bugpowder Dust

Can second the Orange Tree, £1.80 a pint iirc

Pink Panther likes this.
  4. Matte Bergqvist

Matte Bergqvist New Member

Hi all,

I will travel from Sweden for tomorrows’ game. Is there by any chance any Hamlet fan who could help me out bringing a home shirt in kids size (to my 9 yr old son)? I will of course pay for it and buy you a pint in the pub before kick off.

Cheers,
    Matte

Son of Roy and pompeydunc like this.
  5. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Hey Matte Bergqvist - given your Herculean effort in travelling to Braintree for the game, I’d be happy to try and grab a shirt for your son before heading to the game. I need to check stock though.
    A chest measurement is usually the best way to get the right size for the young’uns if there’s any chance of providing that? (9 year olds don’t come in standard sizes in our experience).

Moroccan Sunset and crocustim like this.
  6. The Balance

The Balance New Member

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  7. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

I have some shirts for you. I’m sure one of them will fit. They’re £30 each. I’ll pm you with my mobile number.

Cat Daisy, Son of Roy and B.I.G like this.
  8. cg__

cg__ Active Member

I'm excited to see (/hear on the radio) what Hunte can do, thought he showed a lot of promise last season.

9. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

1-0 Mills

10. ftg6

ftg6 Member

Been a forgettable half other than the goal - nice run by Mills forward from a floating free kick. Quick control then slotted it in.

Referee is inept but at least he's unbiased in his ineptness.

11. editor

editor hiraethified

1-1...

12. editor

editor hiraethified

Fuck, Braintree have scored an injury time goal :(

13. cg__

cg__ Active Member

Sounded like we were good for a point from that game

14. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

Another defeat.

15. Bugpowder Dust

Been tweeting through the match, this is now a worrying patch of form.

Despite the new faces, it's another defeat. Ref was appalling and on another day we would have had at least one penalty but he seemed to have made his mind up before the game that he wouldn't be giving one today. His theatrics best summed up by walking slowly alongside a Braintree player as he trudged off, then booking Nyren for entering the field of play a second too quickly on his sub.

Mills sub was baffling. And we desparately need to find someone who can take a decent free kick...

16. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

So I'm confused: is this implosion instead of our annual January implosion, or will we get one then too?

Ian Kaye and editor like this.
  17. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Quickest booking I’ve ever seen

18. JoeBoy1959

JoeBoy1959 Active Member

Sorry, but I love Gavin and Junior, but that's something going wrong here. There seems to be too many formation changes and unclear instructions. Perhaps it's time for a change. Heresy, I know, but...

19. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Wasn't there today, but it feels like the same problems but with more expensive players.

20. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Its not heresy, its neither a possibility nor a probability. Therefore pointless, its also one month into a season when we barely stayed up last season.

Pink Panther likes this.
  21. Pink Panther

I wasn't there either (saw Ashley Carew play centre forward for Beckenham Town at Fisher instead) but we seem to be making 3-5 changes to the starting XI every time. This often seems to happen when we get trapped in a sequence of poor results. We need to find a combination that works then stick with it as closely as possible, which is also what seems to happen sooner or later.

EDC likes this.
  22. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

That was a game we should have won at a canter. Totally on top for the first half but failed to go for the kill. Didn't come out for the second half until 2-1 down.
    However, McCoy booked for simulation when taken out in the penalty area and Allassani wiped out from behind in the act of shooting. When even the mild mannered JL is describing him as the worst official seen in years it will tell you how bad he was. Looked like a Sunday League official who only stood in the centre circle.

23. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Listening to Bale Boy commentary we seemed to dominate the vast majority of the first half and all but 20 mins in the second
    could have easily scored to make it 2-1 but in our search let in another

A number of one on ones and a dead cert pen

Resise very frustrated again

Questionable ref - not getting any luck

Next game Hungerford - we need to sort this out

editor likes this.
  24. Cat Daisy

Cat Daisy Active Member

A game of two halves but unfortunately Dulwich forgot to come out for the second half and handed the initiative straight to Braintree. After that it just got a bit chaotic with substitutions and seemingly changes of tactics / formation every time a sub came on. It was all a microcosm of the season to date.

We led deservedly at half time. It was good to see Hunte in the line-up and he was positive while Mills did what he does and took his goal nicely.

I have no idea what was said at half time or whether players were carrying knocks or recovering from bugs but we never fully recovered despite having more urgency as the second half wore on. Ashley was the busier keeper as Braintree ran through and past the defence. There was a bit of disbelief when Vose came on but to be fair he could have levelled right at the end!

Yes the ref wasn't very good and yes we were denied certainly one and probably two penalties. Michael Johnson in the home goal more or less said as much. However he has a deserved reputation as a penalty stopper so no guarantee we'd have scored. His save when Reese was one on one was a cracker. We can't use refs as an excuse (and Braintree didn't seem enamoured with him either).

editor and Bugpowder Dust like this.
  25. editor

editor hiraethified

26. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Interesting post match interview, Rose saying they've got the same mentality as last season.
    Amazing seeing how few players are left from last year's squad.

pompeydunc likes this.
  27. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

So blaming the players has started already. A bit later than last year mind...

Question for the panel - has the addition of Reise helped improve the performance of the team as a whole, or hindered?

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  28. Bugpowder Dust

I can't really say if it hindered as I missed first few games of the season but I listened to the ForwardHamlet podcast from 12 August on the way to work this morning after 3 straight wins and it is amazing how positive everything was going at that point.

Obviously Reise wasn't around at that point but we also had injuries and played most of games 1 and 3 with ten men.

So maybe we just need to get someone sent off early doors each week and then watch each player raise their game to compensate.

Jules P and Nivag like this.
  29. Pink Panther

I think we're making too many changes from one game to the next. I believe only Maynard-Brewer and Barnes have started all ten matches. By contrast 9 Wealdstone players have started all of their ten matches and look where they are. (Obviously they must have had greater luck with injuries and probably no one sent off and suspended. )

It's all fine margins in this division. We could easily have dropped points in most of the games we've won, but beating Tonbridge and St Albans with ten men, and beating a good Wealdstone side who haven't otherwise dropped a point, perhaps makes people overlook that.

Looking at the highlights Braintree barely seemed to have any chances until right at the end, their equaliser was well taken but we seemed to be sitting very deep and looked rather static as the move unfolded just after half time. Regarding the penalty shouts, if that was a dive by McCoy it was very convincing, the defender just swung a leg without getting near the ball; the second one on Allassani was blatant, the defender pulled him down by the arm. However we can't do anything about those decisions whereas we could have done better with several of the chances we created.

blueheaven likes this.
  30. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

How many games have we won that he's started?
    But equally, how many games that he's started has he been played in his best position?

Moroccan Sunset likes this.