Brady's, Brixton (Railway Hotel): history, chat and plans

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by citydreams, Sep 7, 2005.

1. boohoo

boohoo No.

Thaw - people use the word community as a feel good word to denote a neighbourhood where local residents all talk to each and have shared values. However as we are all aware within a neighbourhood there can be many communities (even the cosy world of urban75 has a varied of communities with differing opinions). Wahaca has said they offer community spaces but to which of Brixton's communities? I'm sure they are open to all but what is the cost of using this space? Some community projects would not want to spend money on where they go to have a meeting or will find it odd that some of those attending a meeting in that space would not be able to afford to eat there.

People can offer facilities til they are blue in the face but if they are not of service to the local people or they don't make sure that the community know about them, they become redundant. I'm sure someone will use their community spaces but you might just find it's more likely to be the wealthier newer members of Brixton than the more established communities (although of course not all over the established older community are poor or less wealthy than the new comers!)

SarfLondoner and editor like this.
  2. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

tbh it could have been much worse. Wahaca at least does okay food at fairly affordable prices. Depends what you compare it to I suppose. Worse than something of actual community use but better than a Slug and Lettuce. I suppose that's damning it with faint praise, but the food really isn't bad :D

boohoo likes this.
  3. editor

editor hiraethified

I remember asking the developers of the Canterbury for details about how their vaguely proposed 'community space' may actually be used and who they expected to be using it. And their answers were much in line with your comments above.

4. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I recently filled in a survey instigated by an Urbanite about an excellent but sorely under-utilised community space local to me and what people really want from it. It will be interesting to hear what comes out of it. She has not posted on here for a couple of months.

boohoo likes this.
  5. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Only if you find vagueness-to-the-point-of-incomprehensibility "good enough".
    "Space for community events" could mean literally anything, including "you can use our broom cupboard once a year" or "we'll charge you 'mate rates' to hire our rooms, rather than the full wonga".

editor likes this.
  6. editor

editor hiraethified

Just stumbled across these two pics from when Brady's was squatted some 13 years ago. They put on some really interesting events there for a while.

bradys1.jpg bradys.jpg
    isvicthere?

7. playghirl

playghirl Well-Known Member

My second wedding party was in there, we left and were involved in a 6 car police chase up past a long queue at the fridge bar, we were caught up near The Windmill... We'll it is a long story...1997/1998 it was... My first wedding party/ reception was in The Queen, I host salubrious wedding, does I! Brixton, I love you!

editor likes this.
  8. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

9. playghirl

playghirl Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten lit by candlelight. I'd go in in the morning in winter if I wasn't working and get warm by the little 3 bar radiator. Mid 90s!

editor likes this.
  10. editor

editor hiraethified

That'll be because it was cold.

11. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

That second one looks pretty hipsterish to me. But if it was 10+ years ago maybe they were ahead of the curve

12. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

The last thing you'd find in a nineties squat is young people wearing consciously alternative outfits. All clothing and accessories were 100% functional.

13. editor

editor hiraethified

What are you on about, please? I know it's bound to be something sneery and condescending, but this latest post from you seems particularly bizarre.

14. boohoo

boohoo No.

Yes - a raggedy edged jumper was suitable for vomiting over after over indulging. Totally functional.

15. Rushy

The curly hat looks very cosy.

16. editor

editor hiraethified

17. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

In the Prince Albert?

T & P likes this.
  18. editor

editor hiraethified

[​IMG]

The old pub A-board was only briefly stored at the Albert after the eviction of Rushcroft Road. Fair breaks my 'eart to see, it it does

[​IMG]

I'm guessing Wahaca will just shove up one of these somewhere and bang on about keeping the heritage alive or summat.

19. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

editor likes this.
  20. Rushy

I have heard that they are planning a Brady's Burrito and and a Clash Caipirinha.

21. editor

editor hiraethified

Wouldn't it simply be divine if the well heeled folks from the edgily named Brady's block in Brixton Square could toodle across to Wahaca and enjoy a Brady's Burrito? That would work on so many levels of nu-coolness.

22. Rushy

Washed down with a Hendrix and Tonic.

CH1 and MrSki like this.
  23. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl All lost in the supermarket

Just walked past, it looks awful. Such a shame, I wish they'd been obliged to retain more of the character of the building.

editor and cuppa tee like this.
  24. editor

editor hiraethified

The interior has been completely ripped out. It could be one of countless trendy bar/restaurants anywhere in the UK, such is the total removal of any character or original features.

leanderman likes this.
  25. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

26. editor

editor hiraethified

27. editor

editor hiraethified

The multi million business is doing awfully well too.

28. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Let's hope their profits go through the floor then and they go out of business and stop employing people. That way we can get Bradys back to what it used to be.

choochi likes this.
  29. editor

editor hiraethified

What a strange comment.

30. Rushy

Regular financial tit bits are a great way of attracting new readers to Urban who would normally only have time for a cursory 10 minutes perusing the FT in between deals. A kind of Brixton Reuters or Bloomberg, as it were. Good work!

Winot likes this.