Bradford Fire anniversary.

Discussion in 'football' started by 1927, May 11, 2014.

1. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

29 years ago this weekend.

How come media is full of Hillsboro every year, but the 56 at Bradford have been forgotten?
    We also never hear of the 66 who died at Ibrox in the 70s!

2. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

I can think of a fair few reasons why the disaster hasn't received the same sustained coverage. Most of them justifiable - but this is not, i would have thought, a proper place to discuss them? Maybe not though.

There is a service at Centenary Square, then the main stand at Valley Parade will be opened until 1pm.

RIP to the 56 and thoughts with those still suffering today.

Favelado likes this.
  3. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

I remember watching footage of the fire at a first aid training course several years back - frightening. :(

RIP to those who died. :(

4. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

RIP

Badgers likes this.
  5. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

I was just coming on to post this. Obviously that video contains some pretty upsetting scenes. RIP.

I hope there's remembrances at the games today.

6. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

7. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie BeRightOn

8. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

9. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

10. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

The lack of media interest is probably partly because the Valley Parade one was thought to be caused by a dropped fag and therefore just one of those things. The families who lost someone had nothing to gain by going over it again. This book may change that

Hillsborough has had several stories that have kept it in the headlines on and off . Everyone knew it was a fuck up by the police; the police cover up; the Murdoch press echoing the police line and blaming the Liverpool fans; etc

11. nastybobby

nastybobby Well-Known Member

Stafford's previous fires were well known among City supporters at the time. I don't for a moment think he was involved in starting it deliberately.

Speaking as someone who still struggles with what that happened on that day from time to time and especially when the 30th anniversary is just around the corner, I'd have preferred it if he hadn't written the book or it hadn't been released at such a sensitive time. But, he's suffered far more than I ever will and that's his prerogative.

12. Batboy

Batboy Trumpeting is good for you...

My God, I remember being mortified watching this. I would like to think Bradford, Ibrox and Hillsborough will never ever happen again. RIP all 200 plus people who died for simply wanting to watch a football match...

Favelado and dessiato like this.
  13. nastybobby

nastybobby Well-Known Member

RIP the 56 souls who went to a game 30 years ago today and never came home, gone but not forgotten.

14. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

RIP

nastybobby likes this.
  15. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

RIP the 56. More victims of the way we were treated.

The suggestions of the chairman setting the fire seem to have come to naught.

16. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

33 years... seems like only yesterday it happened :(

17. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

I remember the fire. At the time I wasn't a great football fan, but for some reason was watching this match.

RIP all those who perished. Maybe one day the truth will out as it did eventually for the Hillsborough fans.