1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston question

Discussion in 'New York/US' started by BigMoaner, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Miss Caphat

Miss Caphat I want it that way

Uh yeah, no, :D if you're staying in the Back Bay and then the harbor (not quite sure what that means but I'm assuming somewhere equally upscale and centrally located, near the harbor) I highly doubt you'd be travelling to or through any of the suspected neighborhoods. They're not tourist areas and Boston is pretty huge. Also if you did, you'd realize what I mean about so many places looking exactly as BigMoaner described. Sorry :(

Hope you have a great trip though! You're lucky that we're having an exceptionally warm winter. This time of year we're usually still covered in snow and freezing.

catinthehat likes this.
  2. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I looked out this morning and the sun was gone

Miss Caphat likes this.
  3. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

Thank for that - glad to hear about the weather. Hotel is near airport and I assumed it was a harbour as it mentioned a water bus. My preference would be not up market and tourist but I am traveling with a sensitive soul who will cry if she cant plug in her hair straight things. Any must see things or must do things ?

Miss Caphat likes this.
  4. Miss Caphat

water bus? they probably mean a ferry from the airport/ hotel to the waterfront which will be fun...it's a pretty ride

[​IMG]

I didn't mean to sound like I was scoffing at your choices of places to stay...they sound great! Back Bay will be great and there's lots in walking distance.
    It's just that logistically, if you're staying in town, you probably won't travel through most of those areas we mentioned because they're mostly not on the way to anywhere you'd be going*...which is why a lot of them have stayed working class while the rest of Boston gets sky-high rents and gentrification. With the exception of Jamaica Plain, and certainly Cambridge & Somerville, which do have a lot more going on for visitors...I highly recommend all 3 of those areas, and they do have a lot to do.

*for example, having lived in and around Boston for most of my life, I have never been to South Boston myself...there just never has been a reason...it's mostly residential afaik.

catinthehat likes this.
  5. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Has the baseball season started? If so, go see a Red Sox game. Just for the completely different atmosphere to uk sporting events.

The aquarium is good if it rains. Or if it doesn't and you like penguins. They have three types! And a gigantic turtle.

Walk the freedom trail. (Edit: every time you see a reference to Faneuil (so?) Hall, pronounce it as "Fanny". It's the gift the keeps giving, in puerile comedy terms).

Eat lobster roll; Boston cream pies; Boston baked beans; chowder.

Miss Caphat likes this.
  6. catinthehat

All the above makes me think you must know me very well! Thanks Spanglechick.

spanglechick likes this.
  7. Miss Caphat

catinthehat there are also a few longish threads in this forum about things to do in and around Boston. I would link to them but I'm on my phone. Baseball season starts in April in Boston - April 11 this year

catinthehat likes this.
  8. catinthehat

Thanks Miss Caphat - a good set of info - I had not really thought about the literary connections and now I am a lot more looking forward to it. Little Women ahhh.

Miss Caphat likes this.
  9. catinthehat

I can report that enjoyed Boston a lot more than I enjoyed New York. The Fine Arts Museum and the Contemporary Media Center were worth the trip alone. We went to see the Boston Symphony which was an experience. Followed a lot of the suggestions from here so thanks to all those who made them. Overall happy to be back in Iceland though.

Miss Caphat likes this.
  10. Casually Red

Casually Red tomorrow belongs to me

I've a few relatives out there.

Any of this look familiar ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]