Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BorisWatch

London_Calling

Pleasant and unpatronising
It's not out of date at all. .
It is out of date, by four three (April to July).

You linked to Porche's legal position prior to the court hearing, I linked to the position after the court hearing. Let me post the opening sentence from the latter:

Porsche today announces a formal victory in its legal campaign to prevent the introduction of a £25 charge on larger vehicles driving in London. The Administrative Court in London has quashed the increase to the charge. Porsche has been awarded legal costs - expected to be a six figure sum
As I understand it the legal issue is Ken consulted the public with a set of data, and then some of the data was re-interpreted so the original consultation was underminded. Yet he continued with a policy based on the original data.

If you're disputing the current authenticity of the Kings College data - which says pollution will rise as a result of the CC changes Ken proposed - I'd be very happy to see them as I'd like Ken to have been right?

London_Calling

Bromley has a history. It was Bromley Council who, in 1981, began a campaign to thwart Fares Fair. Bromley is full of Tory voters who drive gas guzzling vehicles. They don't have a Tube station nor do they have access to the Croydon Tramlink. One suspects that a combination of envy and bloody-mindedness is to blame.
With all respect, you'll need to explain the relevance of a council membership sitting 27 years ago when London was a hugely different place.

Fwiw, there are no tube stations but Beckenham and Bromley together (yes, they're both in the borough) have 10-11 train stations between the two towns and journey time to Victoria is 17 minutes. The tram link does have around 5 stops and one terminus in the borough.

There was a strong anti-Ken vote this time when in the past people have been ambivilent, and a lot of that was to do with the re-focusing of the charge from being congestion to emission based, in my local opinion.

nino_savatte

No pasaran!
With all respect, you'll need to explain the relevance of a council membership sitting 27 years ago when London was a hugely different place.

Fwiw, there are no tube stations but Beckenham and Bromley together (yes, they're both in the borough) have 10-11 train stations between the two towns and journey time to Victoria is 17 minutes. The tram link does have around 5 stops and one terminus in the borough.

There was a strong anti-Ken vote this time when in the past people have been ambivilent, and a lot of that was to do with the re-focusing of the charge from being congestion to emission based, in my local opinion.
There is plenty of relevance, to suggest that there is none, rather avoids the uncomfortable truth that Tory boroughs like Bromley have consistently set their face against any changes that reduce pollution and increase access to public transport. Indeed, much of the anti-Ken vote came from boroughs like Bromley.

London_Calling

"the uncomfortable truth" :D

It's a democracy - an 'uncomfortable truth' is the BNP gets elected council seats in East London. That a maj of the city's population don't agree with the idea of turning a congestion charge into a (proven to be) poorly-founded emissions charge isn't.

nino_savatte

No pasaran!
Laugh all you like. You can bleat "democracy" too but the sad fact is your idea of democracy is rooted in myth.

This mysterious "majority" of Londoners who want to see the CC scrapped and more cars on the streets. Who are they and where do they live?

citydreams

on the road again
It is out of date, by four three (April to July).
Porsche formally applied for the judicial review in March.. Their position is based on that application.

As I understand it the legal issue is Ken consulted the public with a set of data, and then some of the data was re-interpreted so the original consultation was underminded. Yet he continued with a policy based on the original data.

If you're disputing the current authenticity of the Kings College data - which says pollution will rise as a result of the CC changes Ken proposed - I'd be very happy to see them as I'd like Ken to have been right?
1. The data was not re-interpreted, either by Ken or by Tfl.

2. It's no secret that ERG messed up. But their numbers weren't used in the consultation so it's a bit of a non-story.

3. Ken's decision was made on the basis that he could withdraw the Band AB exemption. In so doing, all modelling work points to a reduction in CO2, an improvement in air quality and a large chunk of revenue for TfL to spend on cycling schemes.

nino_savatte

No pasaran!
London Assembly to investigate Johnson's appointments...according to The Guardian.

In a statement, the assembly said its investigation would look at four key questions:

• How did Johnson pick his senior City Hall policy advisers?

• Were proper recruitment procedures followed?

• Was the mayor properly advised about the use of his powers of appointment?

• What lessons can be learnt for future changes of administration at City Hall?

The investigation was launched following questioning of Tim Parker, first deputy mayor and chief executive of the GLA group, appearing before the assembly this morning.

John Biggs, the assembly member who proposed the investigation, told the assembly:

"To lose one adviser might be considered unfortunate but to lose two in two weeks looks like carelessness. Beyond the headlines there are important issues about the appointment of publicly funded staff that need to be addressed to ensure the good management of this authority.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/jul/10/boris.london2

extra dry

Happy to be here
possible opportunities for Boris..

Closing ceremony

1300 BST-1600 BST, Beijing National Stadium.

The closing ceremony will last three hours.

There will be a short section within it marking the official handover to London 2012.

The Mayor of Beijing will hand the Olympic flag to the Mayor of London - which is the moment when the UK officially becomes the next host of the Olympic Games. :eek:

scifisam

feck! arse! girls! drink!
I love this bit of politicking at the end of that article:

"A census of all council tenants in 2007 identified that 72% of people living in council housing would like to own their own homes if they could afford it. This development helps make their aspirations a reality by providing 70 homes for low-cost sale."
Well, I'd like to own a home too, if I could afford it, but if you took my HA flat away from me I wouldn't be abel to suddenly muster up the couple of hundred thousand I'd need to buy it - and that couple of hundred k is after taking the 'affordable homes' reduction into account.

Jeff Robinson

"Nu-liar-bore out now! Go Boris lol!" - well that worked out nicely for you then you shitty little middle England fuckheads.

Keyboard Jockey - come back and defend your hero's cutbacks in social housing provision if you dare.

bluestreak

HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica
[KBJ]at least he wasn't giving them to democacy-hating swp fundies and using tax-payers money to buy new islamic-themed hats for his newt. that's far worse :mad: [/KBJ]

Xanadu

Masterful but awkward
"Nu-liar-bore out now! Go Boris lol!" - well that worked out nicely for you then you shitty little middle England fuckheads.

Keyboard Jockey - come back and defend your hero's cutbacks in social housing provision if you dare.
Didn't he flounce or something???

untethered

For industry & decency
It was a very Tory resignation. Unlike most of the Labour lot who'll cling on for dear life once they get their snouts in the trough, this chap felt his time could be better spent elsewhere.

I hope the saving of his £1 salary isn't squandered.