BorisWatch

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Jun 3, 2008.

1. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

It is out of date, by four three (April to July).

You linked to Porche's legal position prior to the court hearing, I linked to the position after the court hearing. Let me post the opening sentence from the latter:

As I understand it the legal issue is Ken consulted the public with a set of data, and then some of the data was re-interpreted so the original consultation was underminded. Yet he continued with a policy based on the original data.

If you're disputing the current authenticity of the Kings College data - which says pollution will rise as a result of the CC changes Ken proposed - I'd be very happy to see them as I'd like Ken to have been right?

2. London_Calling

With all respect, you'll need to explain the relevance of a council membership sitting 27 years ago when London was a hugely different place.

Fwiw, there are no tube stations but Beckenham and Bromley together (yes, they're both in the borough) have 10-11 train stations between the two towns and journey time to Victoria is 17 minutes. The tram link does have around 5 stops and one terminus in the borough.

There was a strong anti-Ken vote this time when in the past people have been ambivilent, and a lot of that was to do with the re-focusing of the charge from being congestion to emission based, in my local opinion.

3. ovaltina

ovaltina Well-Known Member

London assembly to investigate Boris Johnson's appointments

From The Guardian: "An investigation is to be launched into Boris Johnson's appointment of key staff and advisers at City Hall, the London assembly announced today.

The move follows the resignation of two of the mayor's most senior appointees in the space of two weeks."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/jul/10/boris.london2

4. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

There is plenty of relevance, to suggest that there is none, rather avoids the uncomfortable truth that Tory boroughs like Bromley have consistently set their face against any changes that reduce pollution and increase access to public transport. Indeed, much of the anti-Ken vote came from boroughs like Bromley.

5. London_Calling

"the uncomfortable truth" :D

It's a democracy - an 'uncomfortable truth' is the BNP gets elected council seats in East London. That a maj of the city's population don't agree with the idea of turning a congestion charge into a (proven to be) poorly-founded emissions charge isn't.

6. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

Laugh all you like. You can bleat "democracy" too but the sad fact is your idea of democracy is rooted in myth.

This mysterious "majority" of Londoners who want to see the CC scrapped and more cars on the streets. Who are they and where do they live?

7. London_Calling

According to this there were 1,168,738, how many of their names and addresses do you want me to post up? :D

As before, I'm not sure what point you're making?

8. citydreams

citydreams on the road again

Porsche formally applied for the judicial review in March.. Their position is based on that application.

1. The data was not re-interpreted, either by Ken or by Tfl.

2. It's no secret that ERG messed up. But their numbers weren't used in the consultation so it's a bit of a non-story.

3. Ken's decision was made on the basis that he could withdraw the Band AB exemption. In so doing, all modelling work points to a reduction in CO2, an improvement in air quality and a large chunk of revenue for TfL to spend on cycling schemes.

9. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

Meh, nonetheless, Johnson's strongest support came from places like Bromley, where historically there has been a great deal of antipathy towards Labour-controlled London governments.

10. HackneyE9

HackneyE9 Well-Known Member

Bromley - the council that wanted to concrete over Crystal Palace Park for a carpark and multiplex....:rolleyes:

11. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

12. bluestreak

bluestreak HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica

goddam it, i love these pedestrianisation projects. damn you johnson :mad:

13. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

14. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

London Assembly to investigate Johnson's appointments...according to The Guardian.

15. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

16. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Do you think everyone who voted for Boris wants the congestion charge scrapped and more cars on the streets, then? :confused:

17. HackneyE9

18. Oswaldtwistle

Oswaldtwistle Banned

19. HackneyE9

20. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

I see he's still trying to claim the credit for some of Ken's ideas.

21. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

possible opportunities for Boris..

Closing ceremony

1300 BST-1600 BST, Beijing National Stadium.

The closing ceremony will last three hours.

There will be a short section within it marking the official handover to London 2012.

The Mayor of Beijing will hand the Olympic flag to the Mayor of London - which is the moment when the UK officially becomes the next host of the Olympic Games. :eek:

22. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

23. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

I love this bit of politicking at the end of that article:

Well, I'd like to own a home too, if I could afford it, but if you took my HA flat away from me I wouldn't be abel to suddenly muster up the couple of hundred thousand I'd need to buy it - and that couple of hundred k is after taking the 'affordable homes' reduction into account.

24. London_Calling

Yesterday was the 100th day, I believe.

25. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

that part of london will be fucked...the average joe is going to lose out big time

26. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

"Nu-liar-bore out now! Go Boris lol!" - well that worked out nicely for you then you shitty little middle England fuckheads.

Keyboard Jockey - come back and defend your hero's cutbacks in social housing provision if you dare.

27. bluestreak

bluestreak HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica

[KBJ]at least he wasn't giving them to democacy-hating swp fundies and using tax-payers money to buy new islamic-themed hats for his newt. that's far worse :mad: [/KBJ]

28. Xanadu

Xanadu Masterful but awkward

Didn't he flounce or something???

29. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

30. untethered

untethered For industry & decency

It was a very Tory resignation. Unlike most of the Labour lot who'll cling on for dear life once they get their snouts in the trough, this chap felt his time could be better spent elsewhere.

I hope the saving of his £1 salary isn't squandered.