Boris's ban on alcohol on London Transport (with poll)

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, May 5, 2008.

?

What do you think of Boris's proposed ban on drinking on public transport?

1. Yes! Ban! Ban! Ban! I'm 100% for the ban

8.8%
  2. Not bothered but think it's probably a good idea

12.8%
  3. Couldn't give a monkey's chuffnut either way

7.5%
  4. Not a big deal but I'm against the ban

22.0%
  5. It's a fucking stupid idea. 100% against

47.6%
  6. My tofu underpants live inside a rubber ball and talk Cantonese

1.3%
  1. GarfieldLeChat

GarfieldLeChat fucking awesome but wrong

usual circle jerk in full effect today i see...

I'm sure you can continue this in the pub later... :rolleyes:

2. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

i reckon i've met up with you in the pub more often than anyone else on this thread!
    are you off on... is it june 6th? pub in the park.

3. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Get a grip, garf

There aren't two sides of an argument here, one sayingn "alcohol is harmless - glug away!" and the other saying "alcohol kills, even a little bit!"

You know full well that the situation is a lot more nuanced than that.

PS: The last thing I'd want to do is jerk the editor off - my opinions are my own and if I disagree with him I'll say so.

4. dream_girl

dream_girl waiting for my ban

I'm slightly embarrassed that I appear to be agreeing with editor on this - but so be it - can't be helped - I'm only stating my actual opinions.

5. editor

editor hiraethified

I can't say the prospect excites me too much either.

*goes for cup of tea to remove the dreadful image now lodged in brain

6. ovaltina

ovaltina Well-Known Member

7. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

Over 1300 posts and no ones getting jerked off? :mad:

I wonder why BoJo is so anti drinking in public and yet was against the smoking ban despite the overwhelming scientific evidence that second hand smoke damages people's health? Wonder if the up to £10,000 donation he received from the Tobacco industry had anything to do with it?

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=143546&in_page_id=34

8. editor

editor hiraethified

The RMT union have declared themselves to be very unhappy about Boris's booze ban, declaring it unenforceable.

9. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

The ban is such a stupid PR stunt. I completely oppose the tarnishing of anyone who wants to enjoy a drink on the tube as a wrongun, just because there's been the (supposed) occasional rowdy behaviour by a few who have been drunk in the past.

Of course there's no way to measure how much they have drunk before getting on the tubes, and there's no way to stop drunk people travelling anyway. Stupid, thoughtless, PR stunt with no financial support or training to back it up causing headache for staff who I suspect couldn't care less if people drink so long as they behave and don't fuck about.

10. editor

editor hiraethified

Well, exactly. If people behave, why should it matter what they're drinking? And if they do misbehave, there's already ample laws in place to penalise them without making up extra unenforceable and pointless legislation that makes no difference at all in the real world.

11. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Presumably this is because it isn't an arrestable offence, as stated earlier in the same article?:confused:

Anyway - I have continued to drink on the tube with the same frequency as I did before, and haven't been challenged once.

As for the RMT - why are their members bothering to try and enforce it? Are they now technically required to do something if they see someone drinking - or is it discretional?

12. editor

editor hiraethified

Our Northern Line tube to Old Street was packed full of drinkers tonight and the only mild irritation came from a (non-drinking) oddball transsexual dressed in a bizarre Muslim costume who insisted in cavorting around the carriage floor.

13. Endeavour

Endeavour -- --- .-. ... .

Yeah it's odd isn't it.

The RMT allowing their members to become pretend police with the sole power of asking 'offenders' to leave the transport system.

The RMT's Steve Hadley said:
    Must have changed for the worse for them since the ban I would have thought for them, amen.

14. Boris Sprinkler

Boris Sprinkler Jah bless

I've just ignored it whenever I have been over to be honest. Carried on as before
    . I am more worried about this though

"Kulveer Ranger, said: "We feel it's been a good thing for Londoners, it has improved the environment on the Tube, there's aren't those empty cans and bottles of beer rolling around."

If that is a journo's typo then ok. If not, what the fuck are they doing working in PR

15. Oswaldtwistle

Oswaldtwistle Banned

I would strongly suspect that is a typo by the journalist.

16. winjer

winjer holocene death beat

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...by-police-and-thrown-in-jail-115875-21583044/

17. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

i still drink on the tube, mainly going to/from footy matches, and to be honest, no-one ever gives me a second glance. no one really cares!

18. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

HELP my eyes have rolled right into the back of my head and won't come back!

19. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

I still have the odd drink on the bus. Not had anyone look at me disapprovingly at all. One time, on a fairly busy bus, a 'well to do' lady sat next to me started rummaging in her bag, and pomptly decanted some wine from a bottle into a more anonymous flask :)

20. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I've seen a few people drinking on the buses since the ban.

I don't think all the seats are visible to the driver and as long as you are not making a nuisance of yourself or someone complained, it's very unlikely the driver would challenge you about it.

21. grit

grit an ugly force for good

As a new arrival I'm really surprised that it was actually allowed in the first place.

Personally I dont really care once they are not causing any trouble to any other passengers. I'd imagine thats a lot of peoples view on it?

22. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Not only was it allowed, there used to be bars on certain tube platforms.

23. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

On Berlin's S-Bahn, there's places selling cold beers. On some station platforms there's even tables to perch up at, have a smoke etc. Very civilised over there. :)

24. grit

grit an ugly force for good

Poo as always I miss the best bits of the party :) Thats pretty cool though

25. upsidedownwalrus

upsidedownwalrus RIP R.I.P.

:D

26. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

On longer train journeys I find a few beers (ideally from the offy not the buffet car) is very pleasing.
    I suppose that the tubes/buses are a bit more confined but still think the whole things is a bit lame really.

27. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty