1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boomtown 2017 festival - news and discussion

Discussion in 'festivals' started by sim667, Nov 3, 2016.

1. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

I think the fact there are no sin bins and the gates close early has caused quite a few issues tonight.

I'm not working, I'm just on a lot of crew pages.

2. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

"We have traders ... saying some at the front of the queue to be sited at Boomtown have been waiting 26 hours"

that's not good

3. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Well at least it minimises the risk of a field full of cars catching fire again

wiskey and William of Walworth like this.
  4. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    It's not that bad...

5. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

had a call about half an hour ago from people with crew tickets trying to get onsite with a van.

Big queues and backlogs of vehicles trying to get in from early evening, rumour was they were going to keep the gates open until midnight, but they closed the gates just after 10pm and told everyone tough luck, basically. Not sure if this was a wise move, with vehicles having to drive away and park up for the night in surrounding areas, which is bound to piss off local living folk.

Vehicles that got in were apparently getting bogged down and stuck in the mud (which maybe vindicates the decision), my mate said a van with people they knew in took 2 hours just to get across site, because its fucked.

it stopped raining onsite an hour ago approximately. Mates driving from Bristol said they couldnt believe the intensity of the rain down south compared to the weather they had left in Bristol.

had a few more texts from stewards onsite, who are presumably a bit fucked by now as you do at Boomtown :D, saying its "mud, mud, mud". Chinatown is meant to be particularly badly flooded.

I dont think it takes a genius to work out it aint gona be a sit down and chill affair! and definitely not like last year...But Boomtown are no mugs and will surely be lashing down the hay/woodchip etc tomorrow. The main thing to remember is that apparently the rain is more or less over for the weekend now, so it cant get much worse once all the public have got in and settled.

So prepare yourselves for a fucking muddy and messy time i reckon. Never stopped me before:thumbs:

6. chainsawjob

chainsawjob Cautiously impulsive

It's muddy as fuck, should get better tomorrow. Dries well here though, not like Glasto sticky mud.

Long shift, long slow queues for people today, start again a.m. Rain just didn't stop today.

zzzz

Ground Elder and editor like this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Please report back in the morning. And have a good sleep - it's going to get noisy! :D

chainsawjob likes this.
  8. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Enjoy it all folks. Our festival (Farmer Phil's, much further North) has had less rain and is a much tinier event so we'll be OK with very little or no rain forecast, but I hope you all cope OK! :)

9. t0bytoo

t0bytoo Well-Known Member

I have a Sunday only ticket and I really wanna see the specials. Can someone post here if they know what day they are playing? thanks

10. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

8 hour queues to get in according to social media. Fuck that for a laugh.

11. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

mate posted that people are having a go at the fence!

12. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

and another being dragged through mud to get to where they're performing in time for set

13. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Seems like a huge fuck up.

Locked down the Facebook page now so people can't complain anymore but twitter is full of it.

14. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

People queing for 6 hours and have barely moved seems to be a common theme.

15. Ranbay

Ranbay The same rules apply

Pah, i qued for longer to get into glasto, fucking milenials. :D

ruffneck23 likes this.
  16. chainsawjob

Yeah gates have been awful, long waits, all my mates have had a nightmare getting in. But it's drying up nicely now, and it's been really hot and sunny.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

We got in pretty swiftly, but then we were going through the crew entrance. Some poor woman in front of us had the sniffer dog get excited, so she was undergoing a full on search.

spitfire likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The mud isn't that bad. It's churned up where vehicles have been going through, but there's plenty of grass everywhere.

William of Walworth and spitfire like this.
  19. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Tbf when we punted in err ... 2011? the queue to get in was horrendous, I seem to remember Callie taking hours.

20. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

21. Callie

Callie Pivoting

I'm very slow. It's not my fault. I have lots of things. I blame sniffer dog distractions.

22. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Only cos you kept trying to pet them :D

23. girasol

girasol visual spaceship pilot

2011, yeah, that was the year I went, also have memories of long queuing, but they did have portaloos outside the gates, I seem to remember? Also a trek along a somewhat tortuous path. That was the year I realised I couldn't be bothered with any of that anymore :D (as this sign clearly signalled it to me)

Attached Files:

ddraig, chainsawjob and wiskey like this.
  24. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

My girlfriend broke her ankle at Onetribe last weekend after slipping on wet straw, so be careful!

25. chainsawjob

Saturday unfortunately 21.30 Lion's Den

t0bytoo likes this.
  26. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Festivals shouldn't be using straw I'm their wet weather policy because once it dries it is incredibly hard to clean up, very allergy triggering and extremely flammable.

Ground Elder likes this.
  27. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

They were using straw bales as soundproofing, but obviously after a few days of people climbing on them etc there was a lot of straw around on the floor. We were stood between the bales and a tree during a heavy rain storm and it appears it may have been a combination of exposed tree root covered by straw that caused her to slip and break here ankle.

She's going to be letting them know the severity of what happened though, as at the time the medics were not taking it too seriously and seemed to be writing it off as a sprain, it took me to point out that the dark/black area on her ankle may indicate a break... she ended up with a double fracture.

anyway, sorry this isn't the thread for all that! have a good one, weather looks spot on this weekend :)

28. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Well that was fun.

From thinking I ought to leave to packing up the tent and getting home took just over 2 hours which was pretty good.

Hope you all get out as easily tomorrow.

chainsawjob and Ground Elder like this.
  29. chainsawjob

Certainly was. Favourite so far I think.

I'm nearly ready for the off. Nice to see/meet a couple of urbs, safe trips all :)

wiskey likes this.