Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Boomtown 2014 - new plans

Gerry1time

pities the neurotypical
cool, beats my plan of finding anyone in a pink tutu and a hi viz and shouting 'urban?!' at them. :)
Rarely works I find, though maybe I've been shouting it in the wrong places.

Balls, I'm in a crew camp with a bunch of people I don't know well ... but it's expected I'll camp there otherwise it would have been good. Would be nice to meet up for a pint or something.
Ace, likewise. If I get the time off work booked then, will let you know!

Sweet FA

✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪
16024_10152375579315502_7264283186431379311_n.jpg
This just came up on my fb:

Hampshire & Isle of Wight Air Ambulance
We've had a fantastic response for our Boomtown Fair volunteering campaign but we need more people to offer their support and volunteer at this years Boomtown Festival between the 4th and 10th August to help us raise in excess of £16,000. For your hard work you will receive free festival passes, discounted food and staff camping with hot showers. Email james@hiow-airambulance.org.uk now for more info.
Please share! #boomtown #festivals #volunteer#HIOWAA

Email me for the sign up link james@hiow-airambulance.org.uk

wiskey

Albatross Admirer
Refundable deposit yes.... £30 non refundable 'booking fee' :confused:

I know someone else who is recruiting workers for boomtown.

Sweet FA

✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪
Refundable deposit yes.... £30 non refundable 'booking fee' :confused:

I know someone else who is recruiting workers for boomtown.
Yeh, I should've added that I know nothing about volunteering so no idea if this is a good deal or not...

eta tho that fee is £10 isn't it?

sim667

Licking windows on the 303 bus.
I think green stewards and oxfam take a £5 fee out of your deposit, (I think, not 100% on oxfam), so £10 is double but could be worse.

Are they not having oxfam again then? I did it with green stewards and it was pretty tough going, but still enjoyable still. I did it once direct for the festival too, one 4.5 hr shift for me ticket, those were the days :D

JTG

Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.
I think green stewards and oxfam take a £5 fee out of your deposit, (I think, not 100% on oxfam), so £10 is double but could be worse.

Are they not having oxfam again then? I did it with green stewards and it was pretty tough going, but still enjoyable still. I did it once direct for the festival too, one 4.5 hr shift for me ticket, those were the days :D
Oxfam's roles have increased massively - these roles are for other things

Oxfam don't take anything out of your deposit afaik, just an admin fee if you cancel your place after the cancellation deadline

shambler

24 days :rolleyes:

TALK ABOUT BOOMTOWN, PEOPLE! :D

edit: I'll start with - has anyone got any good fancy dress ideas/plans? So far I'm thinking Drexl from True Romance

but to be honest I normall never get round to sorting it :facepalm:

Last edited:

stereoisomer

tits and quiche
Hello Boomtown thread!

Sorry not got time to read the whole thing. I'm going for the first time this year, I always work my ticket at festies so I'm going to be on Pedestrian Gate 3A.

Quick question... do any of you guys know Rachel and Lek? I've not met Lek but I was friends with Rachel when she was a just one of the party people in west Wales, back in the day. Unfortunately we fell out on Facebook over, erm, scientific differences... I expect she's too cool to be friends with me now anyways. :(

sim667

Was it on here I was talking about the bodyshop and they said they hadn't seen a line up and maybe they'd got rid of it?..... Which in turn panicked me as music wise its normally the highlight of the festival for me.

Well if it was, I found it :D

The few harder music loving people I know going are all talking about some kind of assimilation and proper munt fest for Producer VS Deathmachine if anyone fancies.

I saw Producer VS Hellfish a couple of years ago, I'd like this to live up to that.

10511242_633323706765848_4221088216058646688_n.jpg

stereoisomer

tits and quiche

I usually work for greenstewards at SGP. They take £10 out of your deposit now! Found this out because was supposed to be going this year then cancelled. Going to boomtown instead, same deal. Maybe it's standard now or something.

tbh I find that greenstewards are a bit disorganized... shift changeovers take hours. Oxfam I've heard are more on it, but you have to work 8hr shifts as opposed to 6hr with greenstewards. For the last 2 years I've been doing 'early bird' shifts at SGP which is way better :) not this year though :(

sim667

I usually work for greenstewards at SGP. They take £10 out of your deposit now! Found this out because was supposed to be going this year then cancelled. Going to boomtown instead, same deal. Maybe it's standard now or something.

tbh I find that greenstewards are a bit disorganized... shift changeovers take hours. Oxfam I've heard are more on it, but you have to work 8hr shifts as opposed to 6hr with greenstewards. For the last 2 years I've been doing 'early bird' shifts at SGP which is way better :) not this year though :(
Yeah they are a lot more organised, but I do have memories of basically being forgotten about by oxfam at glade (although this was in 2008), I was left on the backstage gate for nearly 14 hours and was basically told to suck it up. I've done shambala and beautiful days with them since then, shambala was easy, but the jobs were boring (they just do fire towers and campsite stuff there), beautiful days was better, they made me supervisor out of the blue which I didn't really want to do, but at least I had specific missions to do, I didn't like the actual beautiful days festival at all though.

Green shift changes aren't normally too bad in my experience, but they can be a bit disorganised, it depends on the festival, I normally work shambala with them and its usually pretty rapid. A lot of how green stewards work seems to depend on whether they know your name, and how you've done for them previously, the people who run the green stewards are really sound, their training camps are good too, and they help you work towards (admittedly a pretty menial) qualification, but its something. Oxfam do write good references Ive been told though.

I worked as a driver for festaxi lately, thats a good giggle if you've got a driving license. They took a deposit, but I don't know if they take a fee from it as I've not had it back yet.... But I cant complain, I made about £40 in tips over the weekend. The drivers who have done it a lot were making about £30-40 tips per shift :eek:

You work the early bird shifts at SGP with green stewards? We might have met then, I'd done it most years, but haven't for the last 2 as I worked set up one year, and broke my foot last year. Have you met mike and sue doing the early birds? They make me chuckle (in a good way). I can't really be fucked now though, unless im doing setup or something creative, or can work early shifts I'd rather just pay and have my fun. Stewarding seems to be a good way to meet people who can help you into more interesting stuff, thats how I saw it anyway.

stereoisomer

tits and quiche
Yeah they are a lot more organised, but I do have memories of basically being forgotten about by oxfam at glade (although this was in 2008), I was left on the backstage gate for nearly 14 hours and was basically told to suck it up. I've done shambala and beautiful days with them since then, shambala was easy, but the jobs were boring (they just do fire towers and campsite stuff there), beautiful days was better, they made me supervisor out of the blue which I didn't really want to do, but at least I had specific missions to do, I didn't like the actual beautiful days festival at all though.

Green shift changes aren't normally too bad in my experience, but they can be a bit disorganised, it depends on the festival, I normally work shambala with them and its usually pretty rapid. A lot of how green stewards work seems to depend on whether they know your name, and how you've done for them previously, the people who run the green stewards are really sound, their training camps are good too, and they help you work towards (admittedly a pretty menial) qualification, but its something. Oxfam do write good references Ive been told though.

I worked as a driver for festaxi lately, thats a good giggle if you've got a driving license. They took a deposit, but I don't know if they take a fee from it as I've not had it back yet.... But I cant complain, I made about £40 in tips over the weekend. The drivers who have done it a lot were making about £30-40 tips per shift :eek:

You work the early bird shifts at SGP with green stewards? We might have met then, I'd done it most years, but haven't for the last 2 as I worked set up one year, and broke my foot last year. Have you met mike and sue doing the early birds? They make me chuckle (in a good way). I can't really be fucked now though, unless im doing setup or something creative, or can work early shifts I'd rather just pay and have my fun. Stewarding seems to be a good way to meet people who can help you into more interesting stuff, thats how I saw it anyway.
Mike and Sue.. names ring a bell but dunno! I probably have met you. Probably see you at Boomtown then!

Gonna work on my costume this weekend. I've got a few looks, new one this year is steampunk. Got the corset already, need to make a bustle.

JTG

Was it on here I was talking about the bodyshop and they said they hadn't seen a line up and maybe they'd got rid of it?..... Which in turn panicked me as music wise its normally the highlight of the festival for me.

Well if it was, I found it :D

The few harder music loving people I know going are all talking about some kind of assimilation and proper munt fest for Producer VS Deathmachine if anyone fancies.

I saw Producer VS Hellfish a couple of years ago, I'd like this to live up to that.

View attachment 57723
Producer v Hellfish at Bangface Weekender the other year is one of my happiest raving memories :)

wiskey

Albatross Admirer
The issue I have with green stewards is its a profit making organisation... You work for free, they take your wages.

Whereas oxfam give it to charity.

Callie

Pivoting
I may not be talking about boomtown but I am excited!

is there a vague plan for a meet? it was difficult last year because things had all moved around so we'd need to pick a standard feature and arrange a time to accumulate. if people want to do it ill try and get my thinking hat on.

sim667

The issue I have with green stewards is its a profit making organisation... You work for free, they take your wages.

Whereas oxfam give it to charity.
Yeah there is that. I guess it the difference between working just to get it and raising money for a good cause.

Most stalls don't pay staff either do they?

JTG

Yeah there is that. I guess it the difference between working just to get it and raising money for a good cause.

Most stalls don't pay staff either do they?
I dunno but most people I know who've worked for traders have been paid. Treated like shit and sometimes sacked for refusing to do unpaid overtime, but paid all the same

wiskey

Albatross Admirer
Stalls seem to be family enterprises or commercial businesses, I guess perhaps the family ones/small ones don't pay but the big ones do.

stuff_it

stirred the primordial soup
wiskey said:
Stalls seem to be family enterprises or commercial businesses, I guess perhaps the family ones/small ones don't pay but the big ones do.
I think a lot will be voting with their feet this year anyway due to pitch prices.