1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bonnington Cafe faces closure

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Nov 11, 2017 at 12:31 PM.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

I lived in Bonnington Square from 1987 to 1990. Loved that cafe, so when they say more than 20 years they actually mean 30. Looks like it’s been tarted up a fair bit mind. And I wonder how these new members suddenly came to the management committee. :hmm:

Good luck to them, but there’s always been dodgy politics going on in that square along with all the good stuff that’s happened there.

hipipol likes this.
  3. krtek a houby

krtek a houby If specified, this will replace the title

Oh that's a shame. We went there years ago for a really decent cheap vegetarian meal. Real sound people.

4. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

:(:( So many good memories of meals there - at least one with urbanites.

dynamicbaddog, oryx and Orang Utan like this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yes, it's a nice, non-corporate old school place. Good to see the Buzz article has really boosted the petition (for what it's worth).

dynamicbaddog, oryx and Orang Utan like this.
  6. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

me too

7. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

went once many years ago and had one of the best meals i've had out
    would like to go again, hope they stay open

8. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

who owns the building that the caf and centre are in?

9. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Oh no :(
    Been there a few times, though not recently, great place.

10. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Fingers crossed they can come to an agreement.

Lesson to all co-ops, non-profits of this kind: Make sure your legal structure and ownership is 100% watertight. It's just a matter of time before some arseholes figure out how to take advantage of well-meaning people's good will.

11. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

Indeed. I'm really curious to know all the structures behind this and why a new bunch of people can decide to make such a decision. The petition doesn't really explain - does anyone understand what's going on?

12. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

I believe it's the community centre themselves.

I used to live in Bonnington Square in 1983/4 and (to the best of my knowledge) the buildings in Bonnington Square and Vauxhall Grove were originally owned by either the GLC or the Inner London Education Authority. There were plans to build a school on the site which never happened and the empty houses became squatted. Many of them were eventually bought by housing associations (including I believe the café/community centre building which was sold or gifted to the community centre).

Like Brainaddict, I'm really curious to know more, especially as an ex-resident and someone who's enjoyed the café a fair few times. Not when I lived there - that was before it started and Bonnington Square was seriously not for the fainthearted.

ddraig likes this.