Bohemian Rhapsody - Freddie Mercury film

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by editor, Nov 10, 2018 at 1:10 PM.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

[​IMG]

Saw this a couple of days ago and it was miles better than I expected. Anyone else seen it?

Bohemian Rhapsody's portrait of Freddie Mercury isn't homophobic – it's inspiring | Gary Nunn

Badgers likes this.
  2. Saffy

Saffy Under the duvet..

Yeah I've seen it and I thought it was brilliant.
    I was pretty obsessed with Queen when I was younger and I've watched the videos countless times. How they've recreated their movements and expressions is amazing.
    It was always going to be sad. The bit where he was leaving the clinic and the young man sang 'ey oh' to him had me sobbing.

PippinTook, editor and Badgers like this.
  3. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

Almost went to see it but our local place was sold out; probably going to wait for it on DVD/streaming now. One criticism I did hear is that they played a bit loose with the timings of some events, such as his AIDS diagnosis, so they could up the drama.

My 14-year-old daughter went to see it and it has turned her into a massive Queen fan now. :D

PippinTook likes this.
  4. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I'm inquisitive about it but the whole premise is flawed. You can't make a film with the band so heavily involved. Where's the perspective? as SB Cohen found out and other lost directors. There's alot of fact changes too to make the film 'work.' I'll wait till it comes round on TV which I'm sure won't be long. Rami Malek does look amazing mind.

PippinTook and Reno like this.
  5. PippinTook

PippinTook A flower does not ask to bloom, it just does.

Just searching YouTube for clips and came across this.
    Had me in tears. Especially how he used to phone to talk to his cats..
    He was so committed to his music right to the end.

Rosemary Jest, clicker and Badgers like this.
  6. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

I would have been curious about the SB Cohen movie which would have been far more edgy and irreverent. From everything I’ve read, this looks like a fairly bland paint-by-numbers biopic. The movie hasn‘t been well received apart from Malik‘s performance, not even taking into account issues around Mercury’s sexuality.

I liked Queen in my early teens. I thought A Night at the Opera was the last good album they did and Under Pressure the last good song. Everything after that I find hideous and then my musical tastes moved on anyway. Mercury wasn’t a hero of mine as a queer kid. So many gay celebs deeply in the closet despite being absolute flamers in the 70s and 80s. I totally responded to what Bowie did in regard of playing around with sexuality and gender. Maybe ironically he could do that because despite rumoured experimenting, he was more straight than gay.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 9:06 AM
    editor, Badgers and PippinTook like this.
  7. PippinTook

That took some courage to do....

Badgers likes this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's what I was expecting but I thought it was a pretty good film. I don't think it was bland either.

9. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

I went to see it yesterday and I thought it was fantastic.

I wouldn't describe myself as a Queen fan particularly - my dad loved them, so I used to listen to some of their stuff as a kld (my dad listened to 'Save Me' over and over when my mum left him). My musical tastes changed as I got older and by the mid 80s I had no interest in them whatsoever, and I didn't watch Live Aid. Freddie Mercury''s death almost passed me by unnoticed.

I saw a trailer for this when I went to see A Star is Born and I couldn't get over how much they looked like the band and it piqued my interest. I had almost no idea about Freddie's life before - his relationship/friendship with Mary, his love of cats etc.

When I came home I voluntarily listened to a few of my old favourites for the first time in decades!

PippinTook, Saffy and editor like this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I was a bit surprised that the crowd in the Peckham cinema were almost entirely under 30.

11. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Haven't seen it yet but am planning to.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, I also recommend this which is a really good doc/drama on Freddie (and definitely not made for a 12A audience either).

Saffy, clicker and editor like this.
  12. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

Yes, pretty similar in ours. A Facebook friend was raving about it and she was born in 1987. Maybe 80s music is coming back into style!

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It definitely is, but not all of it, thankfully. In the one bar I DJ at, they go WILD for Bon Jovi and A-ha!

PippinTook likes this.
  14. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

My kids love queen, they're massively popular with the youth for reasons which aren't totally clear to me.

Saffy and PippinTook like this.
  15. PippinTook

Because they're really good? Maybe? :D

16. Saffy

Saffy Under the duvet..

My son is listening to them all the time now.
    He was most surprised that I knew all the words to most of the songs.
    Sheer Heart attack is my favourite album. I don't really know the newer stuff.

BoxRoom, PippinTook and editor like this.
  17. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

I'm a big fan of Queen (I own all their albums, even the rubbish ones) but I struggle to explain why they're quite as popular as they are - a recent yougov has them as the most popular musical artist in the country, by a huge margin (Freddie Mercury is also in the top ten by himself - presume not many of those voting for him solo have heard Mr Bad Guy...)

Rosemary Jest, Saffy and PippinTook like this.
  18. PippinTook

Look at it this way...kids need more than Ed Sheerin and Queen were and are brilliant. Young people are discovering lots of music from the 60s 70s 80s and they like it.

19. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

yeah - Brain May in particular looks uncannily good from the clips & that's the key support role after FM himself - ( having said that does anyone actually know what John Deacon looks like ? :hmm: ) seems shallow but I mean Johnny Rotten in the Sid & Nancy film :facepalm:

For the younger crowd the Live Aid thing does seem to have assumed a sort of Woodstock-style place in pop mythology

20. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

I was tempted to go and see it, but reports that it was a 12 and skated over a few things put me off - along with the band being involved. But then, good reports... :hmm:

Anyway, for balance:

The 30 Harshest Musician-on-Musician Insults in History

RubyToogood likes this.
  21. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

From the sounds of things, it was Sacha Baron Cohen who ended up saving the movie from being some May/Taylor vanity project by walking and it getting a re-draft.

Sacha Baron Cohen: I quit Freddie Mercury biopic after dispute with Queen

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Personally, I'm really glad Sacha Boron Cohen wasn't in the film.

FabricLiveBaby!, BoxRoom and hash tag like this.
  23. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

How do people think it compares to the Ian Dury biopic, which was brilliant?

24. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

My mum approves, she even took a rubbish pic with her tablet :cool:

My sister bought her the tickets for her birthday.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think it's easily as good - maybe better in some regards because it's such a big story.

26. FabricLiveBaby!

FabricLiveBaby! /wɜːst tɜːf ɒn ɜːθ/

I saw it yesterday. Was a bit worried about seeing it.. I do love Queen. Saw Queen and Adam Lambert live a couple of years back, was excellent. I think when May in particular has input it generally does OK, but was still worried.

Thought it started a bit weak but improved towards the end and ended up loving it. Probably needs a rewatch. Casting was great, acting was superb. A few niggliy bits (those teeth were just TOO big) but all in all very enjoyable.

Glad it ended on a high and the personal dramas post death were left out (Everett, Jim, Mary etc).
    Really liked the guy who played Taylor, and Miami. Timeline was a bit squwiff but it's a Big screen biopic not a documentary so I can allow it.