Bodyguard - BBC1

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by MrSki, Aug 27, 2018.

1. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

Anyone else watched the first two episodes?

I have enjoyed it even if it was a bit predictable in places. Good idea to do two in a row over the Bank holiday & if I remember I will tune in next Sunday.

Wonder how much of an insight the writers have to the MPS & security services & whether it is an accurate (if condensed) reflection of how they operate.

Have you seen it? If not & you have a spare couple of hours then catch it on iplayer just so you can slag off my thread. ;)

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

Is it a TV remake of the Houston/Costner classic?

pianistenvy likes this.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

and of course you don't need to have seen the programme to slag off the thread :p

MrSki and Badgers like this.
  4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i've been enjoying it thus far.

MrSki and Badgers like this.
  5. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

I've got the first 2 episodes recorded, only 4 more to go, so I'll probably wait & binge watch them.

I see the critics' reviews have been good; Bodyguard: What the critics say

6. TruXta

TruXta tired

Absolutely not :D

Pickman's model likes this.
  7. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog rolling turds in glitter

He is a bit fucking highly strung.

But so would you be if almost all your family had been murdered brutally at a wedding

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    smmudge, keybored, Saffy and 3 others like this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Watched one episode and it looks a good 'un so far!

9. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

I agree it’s a bit predictable, and what happens in episode two does have parallels with the Houston/Costner namesake

The writing is pretty good though and it manages to keep piling on the tension with a lot of help from the score

10. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I watched some of the first ep, looks good so far.

11. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

It's a bit cheesy, so far, but it is the highest quality cheese, so I don't mind too much. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't be able to identify the other ex-army bloke almost immediately, and to make the connection between the two of them, but let's let that lie for the moment. The internecine fighting is fun.

Kaka Tim, AnnO'Neemus, MickiQ and 4 others like this.
  12. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Up against the wall motherfucker.

Just watched the first one. Pretty terrible IMO, lacking any realism and all a bit predictable.

13. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Just caught up with episode two, enjoying so far.

Shame they had to already go down the start fucking each other route! :rolleyes:

keybored and LynnDoyleCooper like this.
  14. LynnDoyleCooper

No! Tell, me it isn't so!? Did I say predictable? :D

15. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

Nah. Watched ep 1. Had to force myself to stay until the end. Got super bored in ep 2 after the big meeting at the beginning and then some other "incredibly tense" terror incident started happening. I really don't like the main character either. He's so expressionless. The constant "tense" music is also irritating.

16. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

It’s stretched credulity beyond breaking point, it hinges on ludicrous coincidences, the ease of getting a bodyguard gig with the Home Secretary is surprisingly easy and the failure to spot PTSD somewhat surprising.

It’s brilliant!

InfoBurner, D'wards and MrSki like this.
  17. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Keeley Hawes who plays the home sec, looks too much like Suranne Jones and I keep thinking she’s Doctor Foster.

Mrs Miggins likes this.
  18. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Apparently twitter has been having a tantrum because so many characters in the police/security services are women.

The poor, underrepresented menfolk...

19. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

I thought it was great. Yes it's a bit far-fetched at times, but do we at Urban75 watch things to pick holes or just to enjoy it, ahem.

The train scene and the lorry scenes were both thrilling imho

20. LynnDoyleCooper

Watched the second episode last night and thought it was much better than the first. Aside the holes around his connections to the assassin (and probably numerous other holes and contradictions, as well as the predictable hook-up) I enjoyed it, and I agree, the lorry scene was good. Nicely gory and realistic shooting too. Hope it's not going to go too conspiratorial though.

MrSki likes this.
  21. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

Have you ever watched line of duty? :D

22. MrSki

Only a couple of months ago, The PM, Home Sec. & head of MPS were all women. Not sure about head of the security services & can't be arsed to look it up.

Someone will be along soon with answer. ;)

23. MrSki

Amazingly the teacher managed not to spill her tea. :facepalm::thumbs:

AnnO'Neemus and keybored like this.
  24. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

We had female heads of MI5, though not since 2007.

The heads of london's police, ambulance and fire services are all women, as is the deputy mayor in charge of policing and security.

One of the particular grudges was that in the first bit on the train, the lead officer with SO19 was a woman, and so was the explosives officer. (And presumably the train guard and bomber added to the female overload). It's just so... have these men got any idea of how many of these roles are normally, automatically written as / cast as men? Doesn't the very fact that they've noticed make them realise with their every next thought, how unbalanced in the other way things normally are?

I'm pissed off that our protagonists had to have sex, btw. I think the conflict of loyalties underpinning Budd's character line would be more interesting without it being a romanctic/sexual thing.

25. MrSki

I shall hold judgement till the storyline has developed. It was a bit predictable but there might be a twist.

spanglechick likes this.
  26. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

Where do we think it's going? A bit Homeland? Will Budd administer violence on those who employ him?

27. MrSki

I don't know the reference. Don't really watch much TV but caught the first episode & enjoyed it so watched the second & thought even with its faults it was gripping stuff. I was surprised there was not a thread already. Will try & catch Sunday's or watch it on iplayer.

28. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Hopefully it’s not the the all too predictable he realises he’s being played by both sides.

29. The Fornicator

The Fornicator Well-Known Member

She is certainly manipulating the hell out of him and he probably knows that but, as it's been since the dawn of time, your cock is your cock.

It's Jed Mercurio so there will be outlandish, bonkers twists but it's never less than fun. Can't wait for the first set-piece lanyard adorned interview fest!

Kaka Tim likes this.
  30. Grump

Grump Well-Known Member

Embarrassed to admit I only just realised the bodyguard is the king in the north.

Mrs Miggins likes this.