1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bobble hats - wtf?

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by campanula, Feb 18, 2018.

1. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Has the population devolved to 6year olds or something? I admit to never having worn a bobble hat in my entire life - not as an infant and not even during that blessedly short period of football fanning back in the 80s...and yet this winter, here they are, being worn by adults, without even an ironic smirk. I love hats, and have many of them, but can't help feeling that the population of GB has now fatally rubbished our once proud hat wearing tradition.
  2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model funhouse thrills

3. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Bobble hats have been 'a thing' for years now.

They're good, granddad. Calm down :)
    campanula and Pickman's model like this.
  4. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

campanula and Pickman's model like this.
  5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model funhouse thrills

This weekend I've seen people wearing them in lincoln, louth, grimsby and cleethorpes

They all seemed happy enough
    kebabking, campanula and Fez909 like this.
  6. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

A friend knitted me one for Christmas a few years ago. Not really my thing (though I do like a woolly hat) but I wear it when I see her.
  7. sealion

sealion Marilise Legijuana

I blame the hipsters :mad:
  8. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

They really have become ubiquitous this winter. No other hat is permitted to exist.
    And they have to have the tail of a dead animal on them. Who the fuck wants that? Even if it is fake, just why, god, why? :mad:
  9. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

I love them, I’ve worn them for years. I’ve got a mustard one with a knitted bobble and a black one with a fake fur bobble.
    They’re warm, can be shoved in my bag and suit me. I shall continue to enjoy them.
  10. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

I like them. I've 3.
    All Aran knit...one black one navy and one cream. They have a knitted bobble on top. Not a ridiculously big bobble but just a nice wee one.
    They've been really handy this winter.
    Rebelda, kebabking and Looby like this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The bobbles are getting bigger too.
    campanula likes this.
  12. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Yes, basically.:(
    campanula and PursuedByBears like this.
  13. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

Joyless old farts.
  14. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Hang on, is the bobble not just a pompom? Never heard of animal tail/ knitted bobbles. :hmm:
    campanula likes this.
  15. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog Well-Known Member

Do they do them with chin straps, I keep getting my none bobble hats blown of and into puddles of mud/the sea
  16. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

remember wearing a bobble slouch hat for 2 years solid whilst growing out his hair for the first time

not so much fun
  17. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

Yeah I meant wool pompom not knitted.
  18. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Was just wondering if there was some new bobble technology I was unaware of. :)
  19. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam 'He bloody well thinks he's staff!'

It’s a serious problem. Look what these bobble sporting hipsters are behaving like.

campanula likes this.
  20. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Well I normally don't notice stuff like that but had to ride my bike into town (which means paying attention) and I was astonished. We are well over peak baseball cap, my last era of headwear despair and had thought we were moving into a new age of hattish pride and innovation. It's not exactly the hat itself I query (much), just wondering how they have become such a ubiquity.

although a bobble?
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    sealion and MadeInBedlam like this.
  21. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

There is. A faux fur bobble is very this season, pay attention darling :rolleyes::D
    Saffy, Looby and Sue like this.
  22. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

My faux fur bobble is lush. I like that they’re everywhere now as it gives me more choice. I should buy lots before everyone starts wearing something else.
    Saffy and Shirl like this.
  23. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

From here. An article about bobble hat ubiquity. 2016 ;)
    Sue likes this.
  24. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

Many of the faux fur bobbles aren't faux any more. The cheaper the hat, the more likely it is to have actual fur on it, apparently, whatever the label says.
  25. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

Sue likes this.
  26. onenameshelley

onenameshelley is Major Morgan's bitch

I was gonna say moose I shudder everytime i see one on a hat/keychain etc.:(:mad:
  27. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

Not a bobble hat, but I liked this one I spotted recently.

28. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Saw a big rasta hat (filled with dreads) with a bobble on it yesterday
    looked a bit like a classic scottish bobble hat (not sure the proper name)
    eta Tam O Shanter
    friendofdorothy likes this.
  29. campanula

campanula plant a seed

I had forgotten about animal hats - now more convinced than ever, the UK is becoming totally infantilised.

See Fez's post - have fucked up the quote thingy in (deranged) dismay. I knitted 2 such hats this year...but they were for 5 and 6 year old girls...although I narrowly avoided wearing a knitted pixie hat (gave it to DiL as age appropriate, sort of).
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  30. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

I have a disco balaclava bobble hat :cool: