Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BMW R1100GS - Non runner revival..

TopCat

Organise...
I googled is WD40 bad for rubber.

Interesting to note that there are quite a few materials that are commonly known as rubber.

A guy tests an O ring from a chain in WD40 for a month. Unfortunately I don't see them specify exactly what rubber the O ring is made from.

So, materials commonly known as rubber include: Nitrile, Buna, Silicone, Viton, FFKM, FKM, EPDM, Neoprene, Natural Rubber, Flourosilicone. They all have different chemical compatibilities, so ideally you do need to know what material your brake seals are made from. Sorry about TopCat :)
Ta for info. I am a bit frustrated with the brakes. Everything else has been straightforward. It will erk me to pay for new calipers.
That said my brakes need to be in good order.

RubyToogood

can't remember what goes here
Ta for info. I am a bit frustrated with the brakes. Everything else has been straightforward. It will erk me to pay for new calipers.
That said my brakes need to be in good order.
Like I said you can always post them off. My mechanic had been battling with mine on and off for years and not really resolved a caliper that always glued itself up overnight. Then I posted them off for refurb and have had no trouble since.

weltweit

You wouldn't need new calipers, there is probably a rubber dust seal on the outside of each piston and then another rubber seal perhaps inside. It is only these seals that might be damaged if you are unlucky. The metal of the caliper itself will almost certainly survive a bit of WD40!

TopCat

Organise...
Like I said you can always post them off. My mechanic had been battling with mine on and off for years and not really resolved a caliper that always glued itself up overnight. Then I posted them off for refurb and have had no trouble since.

how much?

RubyToogood

how much?
£36.99 per caliper in this instance. I sent them to a place called Ragged Moto. I don't know that I'd particularly recommend them over all the other postal caliper refurb places but they were the only ones to answer my email so.

TopCat

Organise...
£36.99 per caliper in this instance. I sent them to a place called Ragged Moto. I don't know that I'd particularly recommend them over all the other postal caliper refurb places but they were the only ones to answer my email so.
That could be worth it to me to get new seal sets correctly inserted and seated.

How do you find the GT550? I must have done 300, 000 plus miles on those as a courier. Dont see many on the road now.

RubyToogood

That could be worth it to me to get new seal sets correctly inserted and seated.

How do you find the GT550? I must have done 300, 000 plus miles on those as a courier. Dont see many on the road now.
I love it. It's very comfy and surprisingly fast getting away from the lights. It is HEAVY though. On the plus side you feel securely planted on the road because of that. It's in its twilight years though and I will be very sorry when it goes, which it will do when I'm well enough and together enough to find a replacement.

I get lots of middle aged men leaning out of their vans at the lights and going "ooh I used to have one of them" at me.

not-bono-ever

They are ringing the bells now but soon...
You wouldn't need new calipers, there is probably a rubber dust seal on the outside of each piston and then another rubber seal perhaps inside. It is only these seals that might be damaged if you are unlucky. The metal of the caliper itself will almost certainly survive a bit of WD40!
yup, refurb kits for the soft bits are easily available and not massively difficult or expensive to sort out

TopCat

Organise...
I love it. It's very comfy and surprisingly fast getting away from the lights. It is HEAVY though. On the plus side you feel securely planted on the road because of that. It's in its twilight years though and I will be very sorry when it goes, which it will do when I'm well enough and together enough to find a replacement.

I get lots of middle aged men leaning out of their vans at the lights and going "ooh I used to have one of them" at me.
They were a sea change in despatch rider lives. If you maintained them, they worked. Fabulous. Get on with earning money.

Saul Goodman

It's all good, man
Banned
Saul Goodman Do you take it out much?
I don't use it much now but I had it out last summer when my nephew was over. I wanted him to experience the thrill of being on a bike, so I got them all up and running for him, and he loved it.
The ST1100 is a really nice ride. Extremely comfortable, but a little... uninspiring. But for long journeys, the riding position is perfect. I absolutely loved the riding position, and although they do actually handle really well (it's the traction control/ABS model), I wanted something a bit more lively, so I bought an FJR1300, which is now my go-to bike for long distance/continent runs.

TopCat

Organise...
I don't use it much now but I had it out last summer when my nephew was over. I wanted him to experience the thrill of being on a bike, so I got them all up and running for him, and he loved it.
The ST1100 is a really nice ride. Extremely comfortable, but a little... uninspiring. But for long journeys, the riding position is perfect. I absolutely loved the riding position, and although they do actually handle really well (it's the traction control/ABS model), I wanted something a bit more lively, so I bought an FJR1300, which is now my go-to bike for long distance/continent runs.

Ah the FJR. We were lent them on a long term trial and I found them just too quick. I could not see how I would keep my licence or life given the "warp speed mr scottie" mode available at all times. Superb fun though.

Saul Goodman

It's all good, man
Banned
Ah the FJR. We were lent them on a long term trial and I found them just too quick. I could not see how I would keep my licence or life given the "warp speed mr scottie" mode available at all times.
They're basically the same engine as an R1, but with 300cc more, but they're a lot more refined, and tuned for torque rather than top speed, although It is quite easy to reach the speed limit on a motorway, in second gear.
I have a 50th anniversary limited edition V&M Honda Blackbird that doesn't get brought out half enough these days. That'll do over 100mph in first gear :D

TopCat

Organise...
They're basically the same engine as an R1, but with 300cc more, but they're a lot more refined, and tuned for torque rather than top speed, although It is quite easy to reach the speed limit on a motorway, in second gear. I have a 50th anniversary limited edition V&M Honda Blackbird that doesn't get brought out half enough these days. That'll do over 100mph in first gear :D
Sweet.

TopCat

Organise...
They're basically the same engine as an R1, but with 300cc more, but they're a lot more refined, and tuned for torque rather than top speed, although It is quite easy to reach the speed limit on a motorway, in second gear.
I have a 50th anniversary limited edition V&M Honda Blackbird that doesn't get brought out half enough these days. That'll do over 100mph in first gear :D
I opened up a fj1300 on the A3 and bottled out at approx 135 mph. So smooth and refined as you say. All that mid range.

Saul Goodman

It's all good, man
Banned
I'm looking at the ZZR1400, the Kwaker is it a 1400 ?
That could be worth the fuss.
They ZZR14 is an excellent bike. One of the nicest I've ridden, and one of only two modern (ish) bikes I still want to own. The BMW S1000RR is the other.

RubyToogood

What's the replacement RubyToogood though? The convenience of the shaft. Total lack of rusty chrome. Superb riding stance.
It's hard to know. ULEZ. My need to lug musical instruments around. My personal taste, which inclines towards classic or at least traditional. Plus shouldn't we all be going electric in this day and age? My agonising is on the Motorbike Suggestions thread.

I want to try out a Kawasaki W800 but my mobility is really limited and sporadic atm and I haven't found one nearer than Dobles which is a bit far for me atm.