Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BMW R1100GS - Non runner revival..

TopCat

Organise...
I have posted before regarding this bike. Current status. Its 21 years old, has 99,000 miles on its clock, has been stored for a few years in the open, in my back garden.

It's got no MOT, nor tax and has not been started for all of this time.I want to get it going.

I'm planning on moving into my GF's flat and am ensuring everything that I bring with me is worth having and in good repair.

I will take and post pictures tomorrow. I will then blog about it here. Maybe do a time lapse video showing what can be done in an anarcho syndicalist zone with a really ill work force and an impressively long timescale.

I want it running and legal by Spring and with my feet firmly under her table by Summer.

That is not the only problem. She has two cats.

If all of this love provoked shnennigans works out it will be a triumph of hope over experience.

:)

Saul Goodman

It's all good, man
Banned
What does it need?
I was gifted one very recently. It only needed a clutch and a small problem with the ABS sorting. It would have cost more to fix it than it was worth, and if it has final drive problems, forget about it, as good second hand final drives are hens' teeth.
Not trying to put you off, just warning that it could get ridiculously expensive.
I sold mine for scrap.

TopCat

Organise...
A battery, speedo cable, speedo console light, swap the back wheel for another (which I have), new fuel. Final drive is good. My worry is rats in the wiring loom. Hopefully the cat will preclude these.

dessiato

Proudly European.
A battery, speedo cable, speedo console light, swap the back wheel for another (which I have), new fuel. Final drive is good. My worry is rats in the wiring loom. Hopefully the cat will preclude these.
Before getting too deeply into it, check it turns over. I’ve a friend who spent ages trying to get a car back running before realising it was solid.

Sweet FA

✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪
Excellent - love a build thread.

When was it last running, TC? Didn't you got to Kent Custom on it?

weltweit

Probably the battery will need either a trickle charge or replacing.

The front tyre may have a flat spot, you might notice that after you get it going.

Turn the engine over on the starter to be sure it rotates.

Sometimes petrol can create crystals if it is left for long enough, in the days of carburettas jets would need cleaning, in your case you probably have injectors which are probably ok. There might be an inline filter possibly which could be cleaned.

My bet is - charge the battery, check the oil, put some petrol in the tank, turn it over and I bet it starts! :)

TopCat

Organise...
Excellent - love a build thread.

When was it last running, TC? Didn't you got to Kent Custom on it?
I went to Bulldog Bash.
Just trying to pin down when it was last used. I think about 4-5 years.
It came up really well after a cursory wash. I have all the parts bar a battery. Mulling on whether to spend money on a new one or something else.

The top box still had the pillion lid and a few bits and Bob's in it.

So I will attempt to put a socket on it tomorrow and crank the engine. All being free I get a battery. Check it turns over on the starter motor. Drain tank and add fresh fuel.
Start it up. Check for defects. Air in tyres.

All be good to go. Or sell it for parts if it wont go. Be on classic insurance. About 80 quid a year.

weltweit

All be good to go. Or sell it for parts if it wont go. Be on classic insurance. About 80 quid a year.
Or sell it for parts .. what are you thinking, that is a fine motorcycle you have there!!

BTW the front brakes will take a few uses to clear the rust but should be ok after that.

TopCat

Organise...
Probably the battery will need either a trickle charge or replacing.

The front tyre may have a flat spot, you might notice that after you get it going.

Turn the engine over on the starter to be sure it rotates.

Sometimes petrol can create crystals if it is left for long enough, in the days of carburettas jets would need cleaning, in your case you probably have injectors which are probably ok. There might be an inline filter possibly which could be cleaned.

My bet is - charge the battery, check the oil, put some petrol in the tank, turn it over and I bet it starts! :)
I used to be a courier, seven years in London. I know quality. I have done 500,000 plus miles on Japanese bikes. All bar the ST1100 would have rotted to pieces left out like this.

I do like German engineering. Designed to be serviced. I think the brake calipers might need careful fettling. The centre stand was propped up and kept weight off of both wheels. No flat spots.

I stopped riding as some fool nearly took me out sideways as was updating her phone e.g. looking down whilst going 80mph.
I could not mitigate this risk. Now I live with cancer I have a different viewpoint.

weltweit

I stopped riding as some fool nearly took me out sideways as was updating her phone e.g. looking down whilst going 80mph.
I could not mitigate this risk. Now I live with cancer I have a different viewpoint.
Yes, I stopped riding for similar reasons, it just became too likely I was going to be badly injured.

weltweit

Yeah. I will get a cam on the bike and grass up any cunts who need to send texts whilst driving. Or attack their cars. Or join a patch club. Or put it back in the garden and wistfully start it from time to time.
I think you were right earlier when you said to be ready for summer. Bikes are bliss when the tarmac is hot and the tyres warmed etc …. think of the places you and your gf could go when the sun is out :)

TopCat

Organise...
I ordered a battery. Got to get the plugs out later and squirt a bit of oil down the bores.
I might wash it again. Probably not though.
Cold out there!
The squirrels which sat on my bike every day eating nuts and staring at me look really confused given bike has been moved.

TopCat

Organise...
I do think we may need a bigger flat though.
I have been slimming down belongings for months. Gf is a little impatient but hugely unrealistic about the emotional and physical practicalities of packing up a life time of stuff and moving it in with someone else.

Empty and tidy every man drawer
Tidy under the bed
Empty the attic
2 understairs cupboards full of er stuff
Furniture
Tools, air weapons, weapons generally
Motorbike
Cat
All my shit

Today she is trying to sort and cull her Tupperware. And failing. This I hope will provide context.

The love is strong or I would not even bother trying.

TopCat

Organise...
I have spent weeks just trying to sort and cull clothing. Makes me really stressed.
Haven't tried the loft yet. Got my Bessie mate to go up there and retrieve and remove from house a lifetime bag of cards and love letters etc. I never got anything done up there. Would start reading and get all weepy.

TopCat

Organise...
I have lived in this little house longer than anywhere else. I like the area. I worry for the cat. I worry for stressing my relationship with my full time uber bloke ways

TopCat

Organise...
I'm thinking about past relationships and how much I contributed to their demise . I did do the MZ rebuild in the front room. I also had a PX200 scooter in the same room every winter in one place. She used to dust it. I married her but not just because of accepting my bikes.

I think it was other stuff that fucked up every live together moment.
I will avoid messing the new place up for sure. No secret drug use. No setting up massive grow ops. No fighting the police. Hold hands and that.

TopCat

Organise...
I’m rather disappointed that it seems we are to be denied a full engine rebuild on the kitchen table; a thread chronicling the strains on a beautiful relationship and “assistance” provided by the cat. I feel this thread could have delivered a whole lot more. :p
Better now?