Blythe Hill fields -Ladywell Fields -Hilly fields

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by hipipol, Jul 31, 2009.

1. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Bored shitless yesterday watching the morning long monsoon, I decided to for a wander....up towards Blythe Hill Fields, back roads, few peeps about, view from the top looking staight at the Towers of Mordor....
    [​IMG]

Then short stroll down to Lady Well Fields, followed the path of the Ravensbourne, wow, they put up a weir and diverted a fast flowing stream thru the park!!!! I'd never bothered walking all the way along it before

[​IMG]

Its all a bit new and hasn't established itself yet, but........

Quick peek at the church, St Mary the Virgin????? - nope, not that keen me.....

Then off to Hilly Fields, oh my, that mad school in the middle looks like a Victorian mental home, but the rest is ace. Actually the mad achool is pretty ace really, the one time West Kent Grammar I believe

[​IMG]

More Gormenghast than Prenderghast methinks

Wander back home stopping off at Ye Jamm Ciorcus, which despite the crap name, is a good pub, well the tables outside with the nutters on are cool (includes me like).

Oh, I am getting into this place......what now of the "Love Peckham or Die" tat on my arse????????

2. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Space/time supply indicators near to zero

ex SE4 1YD here

lovely place, but got a bit out of my league when I had to look at buying

3. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Yep v unlukely for me unless house prices REALLY plunge, or find a lrge bag full of unmarked, used notes !!!

That post codes v close to mine

Gee, neighbours, but seperated in time......

4. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Yep, def. Went through it myself a week ago for the first time - it's on the official cycle route. Obviously done a lot of work, looks great. A lot of people were using it as well.

A nice route between there and Catford Bridge.

5. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Map links pls.

6. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Put this Ref: TQ378746
    In Here

It's where the Ravensbourne is to the left of the hospital, Hilly Fields top left.

7. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Not sure how to do that.....
    I am incompetant with technology you see....

This ought to give a general idea....

Here

Scroll North for Hilly fields

8. pootle

pootle little moran

Hilly Fields is loverly!

I used to like going for a stomp around Dulwich Woods when I was that way too.

Need to find something similar in North London. I've Finsbury Park and Clissold Park on my doorstep but nothing beats a hill and some woods for a bit of escapism from the city.

Are there woods Hampstead Heath way? :confused:

9. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Is that where you were off to to watch the sun rise on Sat/Sun?

10. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Up Stoud Green road look for the railway bridge crossing the road, up the steps at the side, or equally I think theres a footbridge from Finsbury Park, take the nature trail - ie the old railway line to ally pally, it will get you up to highgate Queens wood. Should you feel like going further it will take you to Ally Pally istelf
    Used it a lot when I lived in Crouch end, back in ye olden days like

11. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

No, that was One Tree Hill, above Brenchley Gardens,
    Its more wooded, but pretty close to here, ace views over london
    There is also a gap in the fence, made by the local kids, so you can get into the highest, unused part of Camberwell New Cemetry.

There is a spot, looking almost directly east where the grass cuts into the wood behind. You can see out, unless people are right in forn of you, they cant see you. Great plave to watch the great red ball rising

12. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Cheers.

I haven't seen that OS map site before. Is it a new thing? Handy to be able to get largish scale OS maps for free.

13. pootle

pootle little moran

Ooh! Nice one! Thanks hipipol! :cool:

14. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

I'll be dogsitting in Ladywell in a fortnight's time - can't wait to have a good walk around the Field :cool:

15. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Careful mate, its very seductive, soon even the posh parts of Peckham will get on yer tits!!!!!

Its done fer me like, a man with SE15 forever seared on his heart!!!!:D

16. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Space/time supply indicators near to zero

I loved the place - not enough local shops and resturants TBH, but thats what happens in a conversation area ( or doesnt )

the Crystal Palace tavern , down the road / top of the hill to Deptford- was one of the only decent local places that opened til 2AM pre the liberalisation if opening hours, had good beer, live bands and a sprinkling of nutters to make it interesting. Fuck knows what its like now

There was a decent video shop and Deli down the road & Sids plumbers for those DIY moments.

MY ex-flat sold most recently for £300+ K - barking price for a 2 bed flat - though the full house next to it went for £1M or thereabouts earlier in the year - I would never have beleived that this dark corner of SE London would become so much in demand

17. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

That's why we live here! The photo is like the view from our house, which is next to Blythe Hill Fields.

I don't think it's that expensive here. You can get a house for around £200k or a flat for £150k. That's not me being a trust fund kid:D, that's me being used to SW London prices.

This is the best bit of London I've ever lived in - only Vauxhall comes close.

18. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Its still a hidden gem, so keep it to yourselves.....
    I ride thru it regularly, but normally avoid the weekends, assuming it will be packed
    No, its still superb, the few I talked too still amazed that such a hidden gem is so empty
    Which is why I report its joy here, in a small segment of a bigger board
    Please do not connect or forward this less you infect the place with FaceCunters

oryx and Rutita1 like this.