Bluetooth speakers

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Jun 17, 2015.

1. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Of course, but as I've said, I'm trying to get the sound you would expect from a boombox from a portable bluetooth device. We know how big speakers have to be to get this kind of sound, I want the technology to catch up.

2. Enviro

Enviro Make your assessment

Not sure you could ever replace the reliability, speed, cost and technical specs delivered by a plain old wire. What do you think, bees?

3. ringo

I'd be willing to bet quite a bit that this will happen in the near future. Once you go digital it's just a means of transporting that data and if money is spent on the R & D, and it surely is at the moment, both in the IT and music industries, then it will come. My kids will be telling their kids they remember when everything had wires coming out of it.

4. Don Troooomp

Don Troooomp Well-Known Member

ringo likes this.
  5. twentythreedom

twentythreedom BREAD FUCKING SAUCE

Minirigs :cool: Expensive but excellent sound, can daisy chain them, really well made. I love mine :thumbs:

kalidarkone likes this.
  6. Enviro

I do love my minirig but those little JBL things do seem to have nicer bass :mad:

7. ringo

Anything you have to put in a bucket to hear the bass is right out :D

Not keen on this daisy chaining business either. They're expensive, so if one isn't good enough to do the job they're not having my money.

ouchmonkey and BristolEcho like this.
  8. ringo

9. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

For home use, yeah, wireless will (has?) take over.

From a Pro audio standpoint though, the main issue with wireless is latency.

It's already an issue with digital desks and digital wireless in ear systems - for good singers the 4 or 5 millisecond delay between the sound from a microphone via their IEM's to the sound they hear conducted through their skull can be anything form merely annoying to performance stopping.

And lets say you have an active (i.e. amps built in) line array flown in the air, with a wireless link for signal and system control. You'd still need to run all the power cables up to it, at which point you may as well add signal cable as well and take away a point of failure.

There's plenty life in copper yet...

10. Enviro

Yeah I was more thinking of live audio and latency than home use.

11. ringo

We're not there yet, but it's coming. Latency is just a technology issue, and technology issues get resolved. Even if it's more expensive, old technologies get dropped. Manufacturers want to stay ahead of the game, lead progression, and sell expensive, attractive products.

I think wired data will disappear despite the need for cabled power.

12. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

From a pro point of view though, wireless isn't solving any problem. All it does is introduce potential points of failure. So why bother?

Chemical needs likes this.
  13. ringo

That's not how technology works, historically, and business supply and demand pressures accelerate it.

My kids could use an abacus in maths, but they don't.

14. ringo

Also, the expense of buying and connecting / disconnecting cables, transporting them between venues, the mess of cables...

15. Chemical needs

Chemical needs stirring

... all better than a failure of wireless tech in a critical application such as pro/ live sound.

pesh likes this.
  16. ringo

Again, that's a shortfall in technological innovation which will be overcome.

The process and effects of technological innovation are one of my major interests. Spent years on it in archaeology and in parallel through literature from the likes of William Gibson over the last 30 years.

Anyway, good Bluetooth speakers?

17. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I got one of these quite recently. Fairly loud for a portable speaker and decent battery life. Pairs very quickly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Playtime-Enhanced-Radiators-Subwoofers-Black/dp/B06Y2DHRVW

ringo likes this.
  18. ringo

19. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  20. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Do you have a leisure battery? I'd have thought running a proper car stereo would destroy even an expensive Bluetooth speaker?

I'm using my speaker in car at the moment as there is a problem somewhere with the electrics and the factory fit unit is still miles ahead of it.

21. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I do, but the stereo runs off the engine battery, not the leisure.

22. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

not if you get the bass tube
    [​IMG]

minirigs (with bass tube) seem to be the best but the bluetooth connectivity technology is a bit clunky i think...may be improved in newer models ive no idea

23. Enviro

Only ever had minor issues with minirig bluetooth connectivity. When I've had an issue I've followed the hard reset procedure in the manual and that's sorted it. Not sure I fancy forking out for the bass tube though... Would love to have one but they're not cheap, especially considering the price of the minirig on it's own!

24. twentythreedom

One is plenty, but the ability to link them can only be a good thing

25. twentythreedom

What is the hard reset procedure? Lost my manual.

26. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Their heads on sticks. That'll teach 'em.

It's all on their website under support.

twentythreedom likes this.