Bluetooth speakers

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Jun 17, 2015.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

good range 50 Hz - 20 kHz - thats low
    and fifty quid
    and i like the design a lot - ive got a thing for hexagons
    good shout!

power wise its 5w vs mini rigs 30w but still, this is great for the price

2. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

when did a minirig jump from £80 to £140?

i've always loved the DIY nature of the company behind them, whilst ultimately hating the sound they produce… still need to sit down and have a listen to the full setup, but yeah, i always thought you were looking at closer to £300 than £400 for a pair of tops and a sub.

3. ska invita

maybe since they introduced bluetooth?

4. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

think thats a case of the manufacturer getting creative with their test results, a mate upgraded from the Hive to the mini Bose one and the Bose was definitely going a lot lower...

Enviro and ska invita like this.
  5. ska invita

ahh...thats a shame...will try and check for myself

6. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

ahh, yeah, that would explain it… how are you meant to connect 2 tops and a sub via bluetooth? bluetooth to 1 then cables to the rest? didn't think you could pair to multiple devices with bluetooth...

ska invita likes this.
  7. ska invita

I did wonder that myself.... no idea....string the units up but send a bluetooth signal most likely as you say

8. ska invita

btw ive been using this to test! :D

kalidarkone and pesh like this.
  9. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

thing with a lot of these speakers is the sound you get depends massively on where you place them, so on a display stand in Dixons they tend to suck, where as on a wooden surface in the corner of a room they often give you a far far bigger sound...

Favelado, two sheds and ska invita like this.
  10. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

:D

11. pno

pno Almost Gone

All about the minrig :)

12. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Just got a UE Boom 2 for xmas :cool:

13. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

Just bought myself a JBL Charge2+, reduced to £75 in Curry's.
    Supposed to be 2 x 7.5W output, 75 Hz - 20 kHz frequency response.
    So far, i'm finding a very reasonable amount of bass for the size/price, and a decent sound overall. Its not as loud as the minirig, but it fits my purposes fine i think.

14. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

We've had a pair of the Booms for a couple of years. Rugged, still going strong, used nearly every day and the batteries are still good.

Downside? Lacking bass.

15. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

Currently got the JBL Xtreme, sounds huge up to about half volume and then runs a bit out of steam and gets shoutier and shoutier the harder you drive it from there.

16. monsterbunny

monsterbunny Well-Known Member

Great thread. I've been wanting a Bluetooth speaker for ages and after reading all your contributions I've just treated myself to the Bose Soundlink Mini II. I'm delighted. It's just what I need.

17. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Our Denon Envaya Mini failed and is now off for repair, quite common apparently, so if anyone is still after one maybe a bit of a cause for thought.

18. beesonthewhatnow

Nothing on the scale of these things is ever really going to have a great deal of bass, you can't change the laws of physics.

I'm very happy with my Boom 2, it's plenty loud enough for listening to tunes round the house and sounds perfectly decent. Is it a hifi? No, of course not, but that's not really the point of it...

crossthebreeze likes this.
  19. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

Kilburn Steel ed.

I got this Marshall Bluetooth speaker today. I think it looks great, sounds fantastic, and it's nice to have a real bass and treble control! The reviews I read says it competes with the Bose models out there, so hopefully it's not just a style thing.

Can't take it in the shower like the Boom things, but on balance I went for this. It's playing the not very rock 'n' roll Radio 4 now, but I gave it a bit of a test run with New Order before and it sounded really pretty beefy.

It's the first time in a few years I've had enough money to treat myself to anything over 150 euros so I'm quite made up!

marshalaltavoz.jpg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    Voley, chilango, alsoknownas and 4 others like this.
  20. jusali

jusali Happy daze.....

Just bought one of these BANGIN'!

[​IMG]

21. chilango

chilango Cold, frankly incensed and...meh

I've been coveting one of these. Can't justify it or afford it right now though :( so bought a TDK thing from HMV reduced to £30.

22. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Three years on the Bose is running out of steam. It's OK to put in a suitcase and take abroad but its not doing it for a BBQ or camping trip. The lack of bass is an issue, but really it's the technology that's moved on too. It gets annoying disconnecting Bluetooth so that another person can connect and play something, most new devices now allow two concurrent Bluetooth connections.
    The Bluetooth range and connection technology had improved too - newer devices just connect more easily, don't decide to refuse connections so that you have to go and find a cable, don't drop the connection when you open a web browser/go and make a drink.

Time to upgrade, so having been looking at whether the R&D they've been putting into portable bluetooth speakers has resulted in something which can finally deliver both up to date technoogy and proper sound. By which I mean proper bass.

I've just bought my littlun an Ultimate Ears Wonderboom, looks like the best of the cheaper end at £59. Looking forward to hearing it, supposed to give pretty big sound. The reviews all suggest that their Megaboom etc now give proper volume and bass. Doesn't sound that likely, they've still got small woofers on them.

Ultimate Ears WONDERBOOM Portable Mini Bluetooth Speaker

I've been comparing UE with JBL as the Megaboom seems to have been pipped by the JBL Charge 3. That in turn has the larger Xtreme mentioned above as the next step. They've just released the Xtreme 2.
    Does the Xtreme actually have proper bass? Xtreme has dropped in price and the Xtreme 2 has taken it's £280 price tag. That would be a of of cash for a speaker that doesn't deliver really good sound/bass.

I like the look of the boombox, but at £400 you could get a decent sound system for that. You'd want something that really delivered. Anyone found a portable bluetooth speaker that really delivers proper sound yet?

JBL Boombox | Portable Bluetooth Speaker

23. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

ringo likes this.
  24. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

I've got a UE boom 2 (I think) and really like it. It's definitely good enough for moving around the house and when we are out and about. It obviously wouldn't replace my main speakers for when I want a proper session.

I love the feel of it too. It's pretty solid and sits in the hand nicely. Think it cost us £80 which is looking a bit of a bargain at the moment.

Considering we upgraded from a £15 Panasonic wired speaker it was always going to be good. That speaker was a good servent though and served us well to be fair.

25. ringo

I've looked at that, What HiFi gave it a good review. It manages 25W per channel when plugged in too. Not as robust as some, but it is portable. It fits with my need for a directional speaker to point at me and away from one very annoying neighbour instead of the 360 degree sound competitors.

I'm not too worried about it not being quite as robust as the JBL's (same parent company), I want something I can have as an occasional bedroom speaker, but you'd have to be a little more careful if you wanted to use it for BBQs and camping. My only other argument against it is that it's two years old so it's not the latest Bluetooth technology, and that's an issue I can't get past. £150 cheaper than the boombox for proper sound and bass though.

26. ringo

I think they're pretty good, but I'm looking for a portable Bluetooth speaker which can be described without adding "for it's size". I'm trying to find out if proper speakers have arrived yet in this category. I think we're nearly there, but you have to really pay for it.

BristolEcho likes this.
  27. beesonthewhatnow

They will always only be good "for their size". You can't really change the laws of physics.

Enviro likes this.
  28. ringo

Someone's aiming at this :D

Monster SuperStar Blaster Ravebox £391.96
    Monster SuperStar Blaster Ravebox.jpg

Enviro likes this.
  29. ringo

No they won't, no need to change the laws of physics. A decent boombox has a pair of woofers just big enough to give decent bass, decent sound. Portable bluetooth devices will, if they're there not already, be big and powerful enough to do that. It's just a matter of time. Eventually your work will probably be wireless. It's just technology. There will be full sound systems with no wires.

30. beesonthewhatnow

I'd say a boombox is only good enough "for its size" though. For anything portable there's going to be a trade off between driver size, amplifier power, weight and battery life.