Bluetooth speakers

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Jun 17, 2015.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

imagine how much happiness one of these speakers can bring
    [​IMG]

my mate who worked in pc world was telling me about this just now
    Orbitsound Spaced360
    [​IMG]

particularly good in the middle of a group of people, but even without that creates a spatial audio field thats meant to be pretty impressive
    200 ££

he also advises going into pc world to try them all out
    he also says sound quality is better by cable than bluetooth

2. ska invita

the Bose ® SoundLink ® Mini Bluetooth Speaker II
    is amazons (hawk spit) #1 bestseller in hi fi speakers....

3. ska invita

yo
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  4. ska invita

LeslieB and danski like this.
  5. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

6. ska invita

whats airplay dan?

7. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

8. two sheds

two sheds not as daft as i look

How does this all work then? Can I get away with just one speaker? The Fluance Fi30 looks tempting and has a couple of speakers built in so I presume I could just buy one. I'm a bit concerned about the power though - a couple of makes I saw were 3 W which isn't going to make the windows rattle.

If I got two speakers - minirigs and bose look tempting - I presume they detect left and right automatically. I only need it for the wireless (so can plug into mains) rather than completely remote so would I be better getting a pair of bluetooth receivers which I can plug into a couple of Technics speakers that I'm underusing and which *would* make the windows rattle?

9. ska invita

some of these are mono two sheds - i think mini rig are mono - some of the single units have two speakers within them so give a stereo effect

im most likely going to get the cambridge audio one - i really like the look of the red one!
    [​IMG]
    that has two speakers in teh front and bass thing coming out the back supposedly. 18 hours battery life + great sound + relatively good price makes it a winner i think

they also do a radio one, which really appeals to me, but - im not usually so looks based - it only comes in black or white (which is fine) but it has a digital display in the front which kind of ruins the look a little bit. I would use the FM a lot though - (pirate) radio streams are always shit quality via the net (128kbs usually) and an fm signal cant be beat
    [​IMG]

weighing up these two at the moment.

The white radio one looks better maybe...will probably get this i think....FM + bluetooth...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    ringo and two sheds like this.
  10. ska invita

None of these are window rattlers - the cones are just too small for that - but they can squeeze impressive amounts of bass out of some of these units for gentle home use...and not just bass, but just generally putting out a really detailed and impressive sound.

As I said upthread, PC World has loads of these lined up instore and you can test them out there....might be worth a trip...though PC Worlds are also big warehouses so the sound can float off a little compared to a small room at home

two sheds likes this.
  11. two sheds

Yes will do, ta. And the Cambridge one you showed does look nice.

12. jusali

jusali Happy daze.....

I'm surprise nobody has mentined this little beauty.
    The JBL Charge 2 12hrs battery life which you can use to top up your phone if you like, great bass and midrange I'm very happy with mine!
    100 odd quid
    [​IMG]

ska invita likes this.
  13. ska invita

that picked up a best in category review here:
    http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/15/best-bluetooth-speaker-2015/
    im sure they're all great really with not much in it...
    useful comparative size picture here
    [​IMG]

14. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Good article. Mrs R has just asked for one for her birthday as we're approaching holiday/camping/festival time. She heard the Bose II last week and loved it, but I've suggested she checks that article because the charging/battery life of the JBL might be more useful. She'll want the Bose though :)

15. ska invita

The Bose radio/cd player i heard is jaw droppingly good... still havent gotten to do proper comparison checks, though will do in a couple of months when i have the money together for this...will report back :)

For camping, people seem to really rate the UE Boom models...there are some new ones coming out at the moment I think...worth checking what they've got

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  16. ringo

She wanted the Bose Speaker II, so that's what she's got :)

Not her birthday until the end of the month but I might let her have it early as we're camping/on holiday a lot before then.

ska invita likes this.
  17. ska invita

Let us know what you make of it

18. ringo

Yes, looking forward to hearing it. I like my mates proper Bose set up but it's much better for modern electronic music than analogue reggae. I suspect this might be the same, which will be great for her music.

19. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

On offer at John Lewis atm but not the FM version

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    ska invita likes this.
  20. two sheds

Got the Cambridge Audio dab radio version. Lovely sound, ta :)

ska invita likes this.
  21. trashpony

trashpony Ovaries and tings

I have the Bose II. The sound quality is fantastic.

ska invita likes this.
  22. ska invita

Well the trains were playing up at London Bridge so i took the opportuntiy to go into the RIcher Sounds there and check out the Cambridge Audio radio in their little listening room....its was alright, but i was expecting a bit more compared to the reviews and compared to the Bose I heard - though the Bose I heard was a slightly bigger model...a friend just got a Bose so will compare.... maybe Im expecting too much from such a little speaker.

23. ska invita

ive now heard the bose mini soundlink - its a great sounding speaker for the size (small), but it really has no sub bass at all - nothing below 70hrtz or so - not worth it for me as most music i listen to has bass in that range

far and away the best thing ive heard is the Mini Rig, though its a bit of a cheat to compare as the mInirig is a bass bin plus two more speaker, and costs more than double of other set ups
    http://minirigs.co.uk/shop#3 £390 for all this (includes cases)
    [​IMG]

You get a proper proper bass sound out of the dedicated basstube, in another league to the others on the market

though i am now very curious to check the UE Boom and see if it comes anywhere close (ah, Boom supposedly only has a bass range starting at 90Hz - mini rig basstube goes 48Hz – 150Hz

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  24. ringo

Mrs R was over the moon with her Bose Speaker II. The bass is not super heavy but it does have very nice sounding and enough bass, but then it was for use in hotel rooms, camping etc where other people are close enough that she doesn't want to annoy them and I have plenty of other options already if we want massive bass. The sound is very good.

Saturday night we had a very late night so instead of keeping the kids/neighbours awake we switched to this on the little glass table between us. Close by it gave great sound and adaquate bass and outside of the room it couldn't be heard. Perfect for the function we need.

25. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

£390 for that minirig setup is ridiculous :eek:

26. ska invita

yeah but it sounds twice as good and powerful as anything else ive heard in comparison - its in a different league and the price reflects that. also its not built by a big hifi company with economy of scale -

27. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

I know they sound good, but, still...

ska invita likes this.
  28. ska invita

with the mini rig you can buy one small unit and the bassbin for about £280 and that seems enough sound - not sure its necessary to have two "tops" - though i guess you lose stereo

29. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I have a Kitsound Hive:
    http://www.kitsound.co.uk/product/KSHIVE
    It's surprisingly loud - the bass especially. Long battery life too. Spent a whole day in the garden listening to reggae on it recently.

ska invita likes this.
  30. Enviro

Enviro Make your assessment

It is a bit isn't it :( Wish it was cheaper because they really are awesome things.