Blacks and the Olympics: Part 2

Discussion in 'Olympics 2008' started by Johnny Canuck3, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

Sort of a different tack on this thread. Here we commemorate the fortieth anniversary of something that happened at the 1968 Mexico City Olympics.

[​IMG]

This might not seem like much today, but it was an act of courage, that had serious personal consequences for the athletes involved, but that resulted in a galvanizing moment of the civil rights movement.

The personal consequences were described in this article:

I didn't know before about Peter Norman, an Australian and the third man on the podium. He wore an Olympic Project for Human Rights button on his shirt on the podium, in support of Smith and Carlos. He deserves recognition for that.

John Carlos and Tommie Smith: heroes of the Civil Rights Movement.

2. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

I found a pic the other day of gus from eastenders wearing a mexico 68 tshirt and doing the BP salute :D

3. isitme

isitme Banned Banned

it's good to see all the black power athletes giving a fuck about oppressed chinese people

4. Detroit City

Detroit City This post is my opinion..

I would agree that it took some very large cajones (testicles) to do that in front of a world audience. But in general desperate people have to do desperate things. :)

5. Johnny Canuck3

Which is what makes them heroes.

6. King Biscuit Time

King Biscuit Time Well-Known Member

Peter Norman was a fucking dude. He's dead now. Carlos and Smith were pallbearers at his funeral.

Wiki here.

7. Johnny Canuck3

Respect.

8. Johnny Canuck3

from wikipedia.

9. Johnny Canuck3

I'm glad I learned about Peter Norman, even if it is 40 years late.

I started this thread because I went for a shawarma, and CBC was on his tv, with a story about this. I watched a bit, and said to the guy: "I remember that!" He just looked at me.

I'd forgotten how powerful it was. Viewing it now, 40 years later, it was powerful again, and imbued with the knowledge of what's gone on in the 40 years since; the good and the bad.

And it made me read about them, and learn of the sacrifice forced on them because of what they did.

10. aylee

aylee In exile in Haringay

Total respect to all of them for holding true to their principles, and shame on the IOC for its reactionism. :mad:

11. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Cock off back to the other thread, there's a love!:)

12. STFC

STFC Well-Known Member

Jesse Owens made that Austrian bloke look a bit silly at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Owens

13. Johnny Canuck3

Jessie Owen's message was: "Yes, I'm a human being, and your equal".

The message of Smith and Carlos was "Treat us like equals in our own country."

14. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

There was a great prog on about this last week on BBC 4.

Wasn't the head of the IOC, who got them banned, the head guy at the university where they trained, a white supremacist type?

15. N_igma

N_igma Epistemic nuisance

Something like that, but what also surprised me was that according to that programme Owens was forced by him to come out and condemn the protests. Even though Owens had to run with horses and shit after he won his gold? What was that all about?

16. Johnny Canuck3

The head of the IOC at the time was Avery Brundage.

17. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Yeah well worth watching on iplayer those who didn't see it.

18. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

Aye that's him.

Worse than I thought. Wiki link

19. becki1701

becki1701 Withsproglet

Respect to all of them, it takes courage to do something like this in the face of such oppression

20. exosculate

exosculate a stagger with a beat

No problem commemorating this, probably the most impressive political act made by sports stars in modern history.

So absolutely powerful - even now.

21. bigbry

bigbry Well-Known Member R.I.P.

Remember it well.

And I can honestly say that at the time I was 100 % with them even if it was through my TV set - remember a lot of shit in the papers (even UK papers) at the time.

22. Johnny Canuck3

I never realized what a complete twat he was:

23. Melinda

Melinda Kama roa, efshar livloa?

[​IMG]
    :hmm::hmm:
    United States' Misty May-Treanor, right, and teammate Kerri Walsh raise their hands during the medal ceremony for women's beach volleyball

24. Fictionist

Fictionist Serving Eargasms....

Girl Power!!!

:D

25. poggy

poggy New Member

Maybe its the MDMA from last week .. but that's made me smile and i have the smallest tear running down my cheek

*gives the thread black power salute*

26. E.J.

E.J. Away from U75

There's a documentary film called Salute directed by Matt Norman the nephew of Peter Norman (200m Olympic Silver medalist - Mexico 68). Up until this week and just like some of the posters on this thread. I didn't know that it was Norman who suggested the idea to Tommie Smith & John Carlos to wear the black gloves in the medal ceremony. It speaks a lot of volumes about the character, respect and above all tolerance of the Australian athlete, lets face it he was shabbily treatd by the Aussie press & sporting fraternity. Maximum kudos & total respect to all three of the former athletes for making a true stand of their beliefs against wide spread criticism for their actions.

Salute movie website

27. King Biscuit Time

King Biscuit Time Well-Known Member

28. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member