1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Mirror - Charlie Brooker

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by ebay sex moomin, Nov 16, 2011.

1. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' J Pengele PhD. The Angel of Sesh

the second one was amazing :cool:

Enviro likes this.
  2. mystic pyjamas

mystic pyjamas Don't call us,we'll call you.

Correction, I've just watched "TWD" S7 EP 1.:eek:

3. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

mrsfran likes this.
  4. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

Watched the first three - each being better than the last. "Shut up and dance" was truly excellent T.V. Brilliant performance from the guy playing the main kid too.

5. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

bah I left the last 2 in the season for halloween, but it turned out they were my 2 least favourite. 2-4 are all great, 1 is pretty good, 5 was lame, 6 was just ok... they should have made it an hour long, it was a bit tortuous.

6. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Would still rather have this programme made than 99% of stuff though.

7. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

They were all good. He really benefits from a bigger budget. The previous series weren't quite there, but this one hits the mark almost every time. For me anyway, I know others didn't like some episodes.

Reno likes this.
  8. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Finished season 3 last night and thought it was mostly great, far more consistent than the previous run where I thought about half of the episodes were poor. Maybe it's the increase in budget, but these worked better as dramas than just as ideas for me. The one about 80s nostalgia, San Junipero was brilliant. Next to Be Right Back from season 2 by far the best thing Black Mirror has done (they do love stories rather well!). I also really liked Nosedive with it's pastel nightmare of a social media dystopia. Bryce Dallas Howard's psychotically perky performance is what really made the episode. The last one was good too, I'd only seen the sequences I'd worked on, but it may have been better at regular episode length rather than at feature film length.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    Jeff Robinson likes this.
  9. Spod

Spod Well-Known Member

Only just seen the first one. Was dissapointed initially as seemed like same-old commentary on social media on a bigger budget set in US. But the end hook was amazing. Genuinely felt like they had tapped into human needs that we are losing with social media.

10. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

11. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

12. stdP

stdP I never learn.

13. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

14. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

I thought the third one was the absolute stand out one.

15. keybored

keybored

Hated by The Nation: Look at her screen at 06:03...

Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 01.28.28.png

mrsfran and DaveCinzano like this.
  16. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

17. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Finally got around to watching the third series.
    It was better than I expected. Loved San Junipero - such a sweet love story.
    They can be a bit trite, but they are generally well directed and very well directed.
    I thought that the American back packer in the deadly horror video game one was great and he reminded me of a young Kurt Russell - looked him up and Wyatt Russell is indeed his son!

18. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

19. keybored

keybored

Here we go again. S4 up on the 29th.

Nice to spot Meth Damon :cool:
    Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 16.59.05.png

Badgers and Hellsbells like this.
  20. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

why does the thread title need to have 'charlie Brooker' tagged on? we dont have doctor who 'steven moffat' or game of thrones 'g r r r r martin' thread titles

21. keybored

keybored

USS Callister was the business :cool: I loved the castings, Plemons is as expected (brilliant, but I expected him from the trailer) Michaela Cole returns (she was the perfectly irritating airline service desk attendant in Nosedive) and we also get another Fargo refugee, Cristin Milioti.

I found myself thinking "I fucking love all these actors who played characters in my favourite shows all coming together here, but why doesn't
    No, fuck you. You'll just have to watch it :)
    from
    :p
    ever get cast in anything else? Did he die?"

Then near the end this stereotypical obnoxious gamer comes on over the intercom and I lost it.

Cloo, Fez909, Artaxerxes and 3 others like this.
  22. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

well finally got round to watching this show. finished the first episode of season 4. this was my first intro into the world of black mirror and i'm left thinking, is that it? :confused:

this is the shit people are raving about? :confused: this all supposed to tie in about modern technology shit?

23. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

Just watched s4 e1.... what a great start to the series!

genuine suspense throughout too - given how evil so many episodes of BM have been you genuinely didn’t know if they were gonna make it out

T & P likes this.
  24. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

25. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

Watched ep1 of season 4 yesterday , really enjoyed it , wasn't what I was expecting , now to watch episode 2

Badgers likes this.
  26. Ranu

Ranu Poster of the Weak

My favourite of this season has been Hang the DJ.

The pay-off at the end is wonderfully done

DaveCinzano and ruffneck23 like this.
  27. Dragnet

Dragnet Well-Known Member

Liked series 4, but for me it lacked a highlight like "Shut Up and Dance" from S3.

Crocodile was looking good until that ending. Wasn't it already established that the subject had to be 'induced' into 'seeing' the memory?

Badgers, Chz and Jeff Robinson like this.
  28. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Yeah, I'm fine with believing whatever they come up with, but it has to be consistent. And given that they already talked about the personal bias that all memories have, is a GP's memory even admissible in court?

Badgers likes this.
  29. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

It was okay. The weakest series imo but still stuck with all four.

30. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

2 down 4 to go
    Callister was weak as hell. Plot so full of holes it destroyed the tension. "Why don't they/he/she just XYZ?" every 5 minutes. "But that's physically impossible" every 10 (probably because the "how" of the technology played an important part in the story)
    Arkangel was superb. Really well acted, and the story got its fingers in you from multiple directions. (The "how" is completely unexplained, but its effect is crystal clear, which is all the story needs. It could be a magic spell and work just as well.)

Badgers likes this.