1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Mirror - Charlie Brooker

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by ebay sex moomin, Nov 16, 2011.

1. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

Me three.

2. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

3. stdP

stdP I never learn.

Resisting the temptation to read about the episodes, but very much looking forward to these. Hopefully they'll retain the quality of the C4 productions.

4. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

I worked on one of the episodes, however they are treating the futuristic menace I animated like its a state secret in the press release, so I'll better not blab about it.

Badgers, Fozzie Bear and Fez909 like this.
  5. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Killer robot bees powered by Twitter.

Mrs Miggins and Maggot like this.
  6. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Did you read that somewhere or was it a very, very lucky guess ? :eek:

7. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

An educated guess.

8. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

I bet you get to watch the GoT episodes before everyone else as well. Obama.

quimcunx and Orang Utan like this.
  9. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

[​IMG]

ebonics likes this.
  10. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

First 6 episodes of 12 will be streaming on Netflix on 21st October.

Season trailer:

11. zoooo

zoooo zero tolerance for walkers

Will it ever end up on normal telly?

12. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

Afraid not. It's a netflix production. You can sign up for a month's free trial then unsub before the trial ends if you wanna see it for free :)

13. Jon-of-arc

Jon-of-arc Trigger warning - BANG!

It's that trailer format again. Really doesn't match the tone of the series, imo.

"This is EPIC" trailers

14. zoooo

zoooo zero tolerance for walkers

Dammit!
    Might have to. :)

15. keybored

keybored

There are torrents aplenty already.

Has anyone watched any S3 episodes yet? Thoughts?

I have a friend who has never heard of Black Mirror, if S3 is decent I'll start her on those so we can watch some new episodes together. If it's disappointing I'll re-watch a couple of old ones with her and lend her the rest if she likes it.

16. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Watched the first one just now. Probably the worst one yet, despite having a good concept and some very on the nose satire.

Disappointed.

17. stdP

stdP I never learn.

Gone through all six now; there's a definite upwards progression in quality IMHO. Nosedive is a bit too obvious and a bit too simplistically one-note. Fun, arch, but not especially biting.

Hated in the Nation is easily the best in the current crop and a real return to form in the style of David Cameron John Actor fucking a pig. Horrific satire, solid (and pretty tense) non-bumbling detective procedural gubbins and a worrisome understanding of exactly how one might go about assassination via technology.

(And Kelly MacDonald needs more roles; she's great in this. Ably assisted by That Northern Lass Wot I've Seen In Stuff as that rarest of portrayals as a realistic [female] forensic techie)

18. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

MacDonald is quite a busy actor though. She's been in loads of decent stuff.

19. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I thought it was unoriginal cheesy rubbish.

20. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Has it been dumbed down for American telly or something?

21. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

I don't think so and as Neflix isn't American telly, it is a subscription service and it isn't under the commercial pressures of US Network TV. Subscription services like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon now make some of the most cutting edge TV out there.

I always felt Black Mirror is stronger on ideas than on drama. It often doesn't manage to translate it's great concepts into compelling drama and the resolution to episodes still sometimes feels rushed, though I realise I'm in a minority of people who were never that blown away with it. There were a few episodes I though were fantastic though.

Jon-of-arc and teuchter like this.
  22. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Episode 3, Now Dance for Me, is the first stand-out. So, so dark.

xenon, Chemical needs and Fez909 like this.
  23. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Was it EP2 you were involved in?

24. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

I animated RoboBees for Hated in the Nation, which is the last one.

oneunder, Chemical needs and Fez909 like this.
  25. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Ah, cool. I'll keep an eye out for it :)

Reno likes this.
  26. stdP

stdP I never learn.

Hopefully you're not a rapper admonishing the dancing skills of one of your fans...

27. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Started watching last night, if episode 1 is anything to go by I'm in for a treat for the next week or so.

28. Jon-of-arc

Jon-of-arc Trigger warning - BANG!

Apart from the first one, which I thought felt a bit weak, with endless repetitions of numbers between 1 and 5, and a bit of a non- ending, I mostly enjoyed it. Most of the endings felt a bit flat, with San Juniwhatsit (loved the 80s club scene!) and Hated by the nation being the exceptions and real standouts. Play test didn't seem to want to decide which ending to go with (could have been any of four). Still, as is often the cases, it's the getting there that counts, not the arriving. Bit depressing in points to bingewatch, although bingewatch I did.

agricola likes this.
  29. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

I liked the first one better than the second one, the facebook/instagram satire was so spot on.

I'm not a fan of horror at all, and felt very uneasy at the end of episode 2 :(

Reno likes this.
  30. mystic pyjamas

mystic pyjamas Don't call us,we'll call you.

"Shut up and dance" was one of the grimmest things I've seen on TV.

xenon and spanglechick like this.