1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Mirror - Charlie Brooker

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by ebay sex moomin, Nov 16, 2011.

1. girasol

girasol visual spaceship pilot

Last night's 'The Waldo Moment' surely inspired by Beppe Grillo from Italy, I realised that listening to the news this morning: he has been around for years and has taken a 1/4 of the vote!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21576869

magneze likes this.
  2. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

STOP KONNI

3. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I'd forgotten about that one. I wouldn't say top quality quite but it was definitely a lot better and more consistent than Black Mirror. Maybe a proper focus on a single idea is what he needs to aim at then.

4. TruXta

TruXta tired

I'm a zombie film fan, so my standards might have been lowered (cue cries of IMPOSSIBUL).

5. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

It was bad. Probably the worst of the whole two series. Can't think of a positive.

6. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Did you see how it was based on a canned idea for Nathan Barley?

7. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

Yep, I saw that. Can of shit.

Virtual Blue and girasol like this.
  8. poului

poului a bit overrated

Must have been watching a different show. That was easily the best one of the whole lot.

9. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I just watched the white bear one.
    It was shit.
    Shit on toast.

10. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I was hoping it would be a warning about Boris Johnson

11. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

The waldo one was shit too.

Am disappoint.

12. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Saw the Waldo one last night. I perfectly reasonable premise, that didn't seem to be too well carried out at first, but hardly as bad as everyone was saying. And then it just got fucking silly. Having a TV screen in a sixth form college debate is just about plausible, but on the frigging stage for the count? Don't be silly. The crap actor would have made a humungous fuss had he announced he was withdrawing his candidacy, so the whole schtick of the producer just wouldn't work. And then there was the ending. Jesus Christ....

13. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Couldn't disagree with this more.

The single idea IS to have a different subject each week, all based on exploring how technology is unintentionally affecting our lives negatively.

By keeping the episodes stand-alone he's made it possible to have proper duff episodes like this one without ruining the entire show. There's also no pressure to keep a plot consistent or phasing out characters who've become stale.

He's made it an ideas programme, which is exactly what was intended. Let's hope he's got some more good ones left for the next series!

Rutita1 likes this.
  14. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I appreciate that's the idea, I just don't think he's done it very well myself. In any of the episodes, not just the most recent. The exploration of the initial idea hasn't been done well enough to really make them work.

15. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

The last one was a bit meh, but I might have a jaundiced view because of the BT whore who was starring in it

16. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

First one was mediocre, second one was alright, last one was a bit shit, although I didn't see the end. Could do better Brooker. Mohammed the Musical beckons.

17. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I've been watching weekly wipe and thats not as good as it used to be either

18. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

I saw it.
    Fucking load of shit.
    Amateurish, like an A-Level project on a shit budget.

Season 2 was like Season 1.
    Starts off okay then gradually drowns in it's own shit.
    Shit.

19. Utopia

Utopia "Jackanackanory"

Its been alright.....loved the 'review' of that Brian Cox's world of wonder cockfest.

20. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

:D That was excellent.

21. spacemonkey

spacemonkey I Love Noodles

22. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

Brooker reads out stuff people posted on the internet from all over the place and rather suspiciously has commented on things that are very familiar to some of the things posted to urban. However he's never televised any of the things where people call him a massive fucking prick.

(Yeah I do think he has nicked the content of people's posts off here and used it as his own material. The Guardian have a habit of doing that).

23. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

BUMPTASTIC! :)

Seeing as though this passed me by not having a tv or owt I watched seasion 2 over last nght and this morning after someone recommended to me following a meaningful convo regarding technology and it's impact on our lives and relationships with self/others.:hmm:

I think they are fairly well done and I have been entertained. All 3 episodes i've watched have been good enough to make their point about how we compartmentalise and distort our relationship with technology, using it in ways that ultimately distances us from some of the fundamentally important (IMO) parts of what it is to be human, our connection to the world around us and others.

Ben Elton's Dead Famous made similar points back in 2001. Heavy allusion/play on real life news stories etc, however cheap has purpose for this kind of production. There are many documentaries on the same subject too, exploratory, thought provoking etc. We live in Public and All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace are the first two that spring to mind.

However much fun this is, however much I am in awe and enjoy technology, living this way full time is truly the stuff of nightmares for me also:

2122926955.jpg

I say this and I know things have changed/are changing constantly and with that I/we need to embrace, examine and understand our relationship/use of technology...what I do admit to though is a deep desire to hold on to an initimacy that doesn't involve a machine as the Black Mirror, filter, barrier....Ironically, here I am on the internet, writing this on a forum... These contradictions exist. I enjoy thinking about them. :cool:

PS: I just picked up my guitar for the first time in ages and played two songs I wrote myself a few years back. Sometimes you forget you can and like doing other things; simple, personal, fulfilling, creative. Those things that i admit to above, having a deep desire to hold on to an initimacy that doesn't involve a machine as the Black Mirror, filter, barrier.' This reaction in me today, to this series, is priceless IMO. I'll take it. Not new or life changing relevations no, useful reminders/reflections though.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    OneStrike and Fez909 like this.
  24. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

25. Maggot

Maggot MES missing message

Starts tonight at 9.

Rutita1 likes this.
  26. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

Apparently the director makes a cameo appearance. Can you spot him? Delusions of Hitchcock or what.

27. belboid

it's not that weird or egotistical, lots of directors do it - have done since well before Hitchcock

Maggot likes this.
  28. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

Just kidding. Did you spot him yet? On the Hamm's computer screen.

29. belboid

Not watching it yet - mrs b is out, so I'm having to save it

30. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

Pretty enjoyable all in all. Nice ending. A Merry Christmas to you all indeed. :)

madamv and Maggot like this.