Bitcoin discussion and news

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by camouflage, Dec 25, 2010.

1. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Well thats embarassing. I've never clicked a link to an express story tho!

Think it was "bitcoin crash" I searched. Anyway its not very interesting.

2. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

Actually I think there is something to be said for the role of search engine algorithms in shaping the information received by various actors in the cryptocurrency phenomenon. FWIW here's my results for "bitcoin crash":

[​IMG]

3. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

I search "1 BTC to GBP" for my own amusement and I get loads of Express stories, one Sun, one Telegraph. I try not to visit any of em.

4. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

So basically my search engine has quite a low opinion of me.

5. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

That's not McAfee the antivirus software, that's McAfee the madman.

6. gosub

gosub ~#

7. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

keybored likes this.
  8. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

9. ricbake

ricbake working out how

People who are interested in / buy / sell bitcoin and other crypto "currencies" are all online and getting all their news instantly and trying to find the newest and most important story as early as possible. I wonder how easy it is to manipulate people like that?

I wonder if the Express and Sun have any particular interest in these values

10. gosub

gosub ~#

Express, Sun and values all in one sentence.

keybored likes this.
  11. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Might be something to this - as in people who've bought btc may be more suggestible so a good demographic for advertisers.

12. The Fornicator

The Fornicator Well-Known Member

I'm buzzing. Already booked a space flight and a couple of shifts with Stormy Daniels.

13. ricbake

ricbake working out how

I do not subscribe to any idea that the Sun and Express have value!

14. gosub

gosub ~#

If I running the space program, dealing with the likes of you I'd have demanded the money in Escrow and strict cancellation penalties

NoXion likes this.
  15. The Fornicator

Hey look everyone, see how gosub is part of the gang. Hey gosup, your mum has droopy boobies.neer.

16. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Bitcoin price: $18,000
    Bitcoin price: $16,000
    Bitcoin price: $13,300
    Bitcoin price: $8,500
    Bitcoin price: $5,000

???

maomao, sealion, cupid_stunt and 3 others like this.
  17. The Fornicator

It's all good - perfectly normal volatility for a non-fruadulent ponzi scheme, just ask market expert Mr 'tulip bubble' Madoff.

18. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Just out of curiosity The Fornicator can you imagine a value of bitcoin reached sometime this year at which point you'd think maybe this wasn't a brilliant investment after all?

NoXion likes this.
  19. The Fornicator

As previously mentioned, BTC is not the whole game any longer. If Lightening works well it may recover ground, or it may not - is it Amazon or is it mySpace. The game is blockchain and crypto currency, this thread is 'BTC talk'.

20. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I’ll take that as a ‘no’ then.

NoXion likes this.
  21. kabbes

I can’t even tell if this is self-deprecating irony or not.

joustmaster likes this.
  22. The Fornicator

Of course you can't, not with your head up your arse.

23. kabbes

Marvellous.

I take it January didn’t let you top-slice any profit in the end. Let’s see if February brings you closer to that 100k mark.

24. The Fornicator

You can almost smell that middle class entitlement.

25. kabbes

Is this the bit where you tell me about the school for my non-existent children again?

26. The Fornicator

What chance me falling for daft deflection comments.

27. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Going to be interesting to see what happens, is all I can say - one narrative says bitcoin is a planet-destroying Ponzi scheme that is going to result in a lot of Silicon Valley tech-bro types hilariously losing all their money, along with a lot of suckers who put their meager savings into buying a tenth of a bitcoin or whatever.

Another says that blockchain is a transformative technology and people with the courage to hang on to their cryptocurrencies for long enough are going to end up as wealthy as early investors in Apple.

My prediction is for something in the middle: Something related to blockchain probably will replace traditional currencies in the richer countries in our lifetime, but today's cryptocoins won't be worth any more than the seashells or whatever people used as currency a thousand years ago. Most of the Winklevii, etc. will probably land on their feet, those lower down the food chain won't be so lucky.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    The Fornicator, ricbake and gosub like this.
  28. gosub

gosub ~#

Well she is 74

Worked in private jets for over 20years, seen a lot of you easy come easy go money types... Still get paid at the end of it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    maomao and bimble like this.
  29. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Blockchain being a transformative technology that may change how all sorts of things get done has nothing to do with the future value of bitcoins though does it?

paolo, BigTom, NoXion and 1 other person like this.
  30. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

What is this if it is not deflection?

Being middle-class is not a prerequisite for being sceptical. I do not fall into this category by a long stretch but I'm not seeing anything that inspires me with the confidence to buy into cryptocurrency.

sealion and gosub like this.