Birkenstocks

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by aqua, Jun 26, 2010.

1. aqua

aqua made of cheese and gin

OK, I give in, I love birkenstocks

I have serious issues with flat feet (aka pingu feet, thanks felixthecat :mad: )and possibly plantar fasici-whatsit

so I struggle with very flat sandals (shoes aren't so bad as I have some arches she gave me)

birkies are great :) and there are some ace birkies i want but I also have big feet (size 9). The website I found that stocks them is in germany and although I think I know what size I need I could do with trying them on

anyone have an idea where in the UK I could order from or where is a good stockist for me to try them? Schuh deny there are any birkies above a size 41 :(

2. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

I have very high arches and ordered a pair online many years ago as I thought they might end 'my footwear hell'. I sent a drawing round me foot as asked for. They arrived. They were totally the wrong size (as in at least two sizes too big). I sent them back as advised. They denied having got them and said I should have sent them back registered post. It was money I couldn't afford to lose (I have never owned more than 4 pairs of footwear at once, ever). As a result I spit whenever I hear the name Birkenstock. Bastards.

3. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' J Pengele PhD. The Angel of Sesh

they are supposed to be a size or two bigger than your actual feet though.

4. aqua

the birkies I have are exactly the right size (42) rather than needing a different size to my normal shoes - but I understand this varies depending on which range of birkies

I just want to try some on but most places deny there is anything bigger than a 41 :(

5. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

I noticed that there were quite a lot of Birkenstocks in the Manchester branch this week. I don't know what sizes though, I didn't look closely.

Their website looks like they only go up to a 7 1/2 though. But the stocks in the stores might be difference.

http://www.tkmaxx.com/bin/venda?ex=...ch=keyword&termtextkeywordsearch=birkenstocks

I'm not sure how helpful they are if you phone up and ask your local stores, other than that potter down there as the tiny and bigger shoes don't sell as quickly as the more middling sizes:

http://www.tkmaxx.com/page/storelocator

Or if I pass by and remember to check in the next few days I'll let you know.

6. Shevek

Shevek bldg cstles in the sky

what are birkenstocks

7. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

8. Shevek

Shevek bldg cstles in the sky

sandals!

I am going through an anti-consumerist thing at the moment

9. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

Don't buy any then.

10. Mrs Magpie

I couldn't walk in them, they were flapping about and falling off!

11. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Birkenstocks - Vile and horrible things. Yeuugh! :mad:

12. The Groke

The Groke hot hail/Paging Dr. Beat

I have two pairs. Was unconvinced to begin with but am now a convert. Comfortable and tough. All good.

13. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

I prefer the ones that have a strap around the back, for this reason!

14. Mrs Magpie

These did have a strap at the back! They wouldn't have looked out of place on a clown! Basically I was ripped off for money I could ill-afford and they are a shit company.

15. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

I got a couple of pairs cheap but I can't remember where from. I love them. :)

16. Mrs Magpie

I did have a pair of Birkenstock plastic NHS style clogs in a job I had (provided by job) and they were sweaty and vile.

17. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy Banned

the only major problem i have with this thread is that Birkenstocks are things you should be after when you are 60 - and Aqua is like 32 whole thing is so easy to get when your feet are young no one gives a shit, old people are experts at helping you boy this stuff. my concern is not growing old before your time. my message to aqua is:

UNDIES.

18. secretsquirrel

secretsquirrel Respectable married lady

Try Jones Bootmakers - if you've got a branch near you, you might even find that *gasp* they've got some size 9s in stock! :D

(Also good if you are trying to find the elusive size 9 fitflops - yes, they exist too but it's bloody hard work trying to find them!)

19. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel it's a very pretty colour this ambulance, isn't it

20. polly

polly Well-Known Member

I got mine here. I think they're cheaper and they have tons of big sizes. As they say themselves: '100% service, a great offer and a fast delivery via UPS will delight you!' :)

21. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

So I am thinking about getting a pair. What's so good about them and what should I bear in mind?

22. susie12

susie12 Left wing scum

Why don't you try Fitflops instead? They really do everything their blurb says they do, I have worn mine all the time since I got them and am considering getting some boots for winter. My daughter has plantar fasciitis and they have helped a lot with that, I have osteoarthritis in my knees and they have helped with that. They're the best shoes I've ever had, I have the trainer style ones. Also I think they look nicer than Birkenstocks.

23. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

I don't agree with you on that one I'm afraid, I really don't like the look of FitFlops.

The desire for Birkenstocks is based purely on aesthetics. Are they supposed to do good things to your feet?

24. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Both are ugly.

fitflops gave me arch trouble and pain ( I have flattish feet) which still hasn't completely resolved itself a year after last wearing them.

25. susie12

susie12 Left wing scum

[QUOTEI don't agree with you on that one I'm afraid, I really don't like the look of FitFlops.][/QUOTE] Fair enough.

I thought the shaped sole of Birkenstocks was supposed to have some good effect?

26. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Those problems aren't going to be helped at all by birkenstocks. Your feet muscles are weak and your stride and foot posture are going to be bad. Birkenstocks will exacerbate this rather than help it. I have the same thing and tried the whole orthotics route and supportive shoes. It's rubbish and doesn't work. A physio told me he'd never met anyone who'd been cured with orthotics.

I have found what does help is wearing very minimal shoes and doing a lot more barefoot type exercising. Get the feet, ankle and calf muscles much stronger.

I do have some birkenstocks for summer camping and such like - but I get heel pain from them after a few hours that only goes away when I walk about barefoot for a while.

As for 'fitflops'. Absolute rubbish that's likely to knacker your feet, legs and knees. The human foot has evolved over millions of years into a complex device designed to work in a particular way. Fucking it up with wacky shoes is not going to end well.

27. pogofish

Absolute bullshit I'm afraid - The only study to find any benefit from them was the one conducted by the guys who make them.

Every other investigtion into them has discredited the claims totally. Most recently was Dundee Uni a couple of months back.

As for Birkinstocks - All I need to know about them was the new looking pair abandoned on a tussock by a midgie-infested hill loch. The owner must have really suffered! :eek:

28. pogofish

29. becki1701

becki1701 Withsproglet

I got mine at Soletraders, I live in them....I should give them a scrub really, they're probably ready to drop off my feet...blargh!

30. aqua

Yep I think I'm going to have to ditch them which is so sad :( They make my feet feel like my heel is lower than the ball, which surely isn't right :D

A chiropodist suggested I get foot wear with a slight heel until my heel pain calms down but actually as you say, I've been doing more bare foot walking and it's LOADS better. I don't wear shoes/anything at home and as I'm here more now I have pickle it seems to be paying off :)

So I think this is the last summer of my birkies *cries a bit*