1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Billericay - Owner Glenn Tamplin becomes Manager

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by YTC, Mar 2, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Why is he so preoccupied with beating our attendances? And I hope Leatherhead stuff them again.

2. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Because he’s ambitious and we have the highest average gate?

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I would have thought that concentrating on his own club's performance on the pitch would prove a more productive priority.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  4. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

It was a fan's forum. A fan asked him about stadium capacity and attendances. Dulwich may have been mentioned in relation to that. He owns the club, so will talk as owner sometimes.

They’re not exactly doing badly on the pitch now are they?

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Indeed. They're doing incredibly well and their attendances have sky rocketed, hence my comment that I find it strange that he's so bothered about beating our crowds when the club is in such a strong position.

6. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Depending how the current situation pans out he could quite easily have bigger crowds than us there....

And, as they march to the title their crowds will grow, like it or not.

7. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

It's obvious isn't it? He might care because it takes them towards financial sustainability (though I doubt it makes much of a dent), but it's principally about trying to establish an element of moral legitimacy? If they have the biggest crowds it can be spun that "the best-supported club won the League because" rather than "the best-bankrolled club won the league".

Funny how the Leatherhead comment, being straight from the Maureen playbook, undermines that a little.

And I think we can be less touchy about his name-check of us. Saying "I want our crowds to be bigger than Dulwich" is just shorthand for "I want our crowds to be the highest in the League". It saves a whole syllable!

Cyclodunc and editor like this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh, I'm sure they will, and they'll evaporate at an even faster rate when the bubble invariably bursts.

9. Dulwich Mishi

I wouldn't even want to discuss what would happen to our crowds...under a number of possible scenarios....

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Jolly good.

11. Dulwich Mishi

Oh, shame I've not got any spare time this afternoon, or I'd start up a detailed new thread on the subject... ;)

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Ol' Tampers won't be pleased with the crowd of 894 today. That's considerably under his 3,000 target.

13. Son of Roy

Son of Roy This time next year we'll be millionaires

Christmas shopping at Lakeside. Sports Direct and Ann Summers reporting record sales.

editor likes this.
  14. Dulwich Mishi

Never shopped in Ann Summers in my life, but happy to shop in Sports Direct. Never been to Lakeside.
    Your point is... or do all accept cliches and admit we're all hipsters?

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's a Tamplinastrophe as a crowd of just 545* watch the Billion Dollar 'Ricays scramble a 2-2 draw against lowly Merstham.

*By any normal measure, a midweek crowd of that size would be a noteworthy turn out to be applauded, but in the ever-boastful Tamplin World, it amounts to something of a whoopsie.

16. Al Cunningham

Al Cunningham Brockley Hamlet

I presume the club will be running coaches to Billericay on Sat 30th Dec. No train service in that day from London....looks like a bus replacement from Newbury Park. Would have thought we could fill 3 coaches like Braintree earlier this year

Lucy Fur likes this.
  17. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

It's not the club that runs coaches... it's Shaun and usually at a lose due to most people preferring to travel under their own steam

Would have thought a rail replacement is more than doable considering it isn't that far & the size of the game

Dulwich Mishi and editor like this.