Bike stolen from garage

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by Jeff Robinson, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

My friend owns a flat in a block of flats with secure parking underneath. She had a bike secured down there. A few weeks ago the garage door broke and had to be removed. For weeks there has been no door on the garage. Recently the frame of her bike was stolen (the front wheel remains D locked to a secure frame). Is she entitled to any compensation for the loss of the bike from building management?

2. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Sorry for your friend’s loss. I had a friend who once learned the hard way not to rely on the front wheel being D Locked to a frame. They’re relatively easy to remove.

3. Jeff Robinson

It may have been the back wheel, I am not sure.

4. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Unlikely she'll be able to make a claim against them, there's probably a clause stating they aren't responsible for any losses or damages of items/vehicles stored in the garage.

5. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Doubt it. Always lock a bike through the frame and the rear wheel with a cable through the front wheel to avoid just this thing happening. It's a shitter for her but she should have taken the bike into the flat when the garage door got broken. Or locked it better.

Ax^ likes this.
  6. Jeff Robinson

She did, they cut through cable.

7. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

If only she knew a solicitor :hmm:

Pickman's model likes this.
  8. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

I've seen videos of people getting past even the best locks in less than a minute. I've accepted that there is a high chance my bike will get stolen no matter what I do an insured it. I then just have to accept that it's likely to happen at some point.

In terms of compensation it's definitely worth putting in a complaint and creating a fuss I think.

9. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

Alas I also doubt that she is entitled to anything - whatever papers she signed that related to use of public/garage areas almost certainly said "at your own risk" - because unless an area has security guards 24/7, theft is always a likelihood. They will likely just say to claim on insurance.

Now if part of any service charge payment for the flat relates to security of the area where the bike was stolen, then go for it, there is a possible claim there.

10. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

The answer to the insurance question is almost certainly no. Buildings insurance for a block of flats covers the fabric of the communal parts of the building (and the ceilings of individual flats bizarrely).

A stolen bike left in a communal area would come under the flat owner's own contents insurance policy (if she has one) and she'd need to specify it as an add on to the policy as it doesn't come as standard.

11. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

I'm not a lawyer. I think there is some potential for a claim based on the property owner having failed to maintain the building in line with the condition expected at the formation of the contract, and consequential loss from that.

However there are lots of reasons why this might fail - e.g. they might be able to demonstrate that they're waiting on a replacement for the door - which would be reasonable - and overall it's unlikely to be a clear path to success. Unless it's a super expensive bike it's very unlikely to be worth the trouble and risk.

Jeff Robinson likes this.