bestest one-hit wonder ever in the history of the world.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by spanglechick, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

troggs had 5 top ten hits. And wild thing -which got to no 2 - wasn't even their biggest - it was with a girl like you - which got to number 1. And love is all around (a top 5 hit) is probably even better known than wild thing thanks to wet wet wet. Aslo Anyway that you want me (no 10) was covered by Spiritualised and is one of their best known songs.
    So - definitely NOT a one hit wonder band.

Steppenwolf did loads of stuff other than "born to be wild" as well. Ditto Procol Harum

"one hit wonder" - should really only apply to an artist for whom their hit was their only significant recording

Celyn and campanula like this.
  2. killer b

killer b Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy

And the beat goes on was their biggest hit (and was massive - Brittney spears did a version...)

campanula likes this.
  3. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

Was the Spears version a cover of a cover then?

4. campanula

campanula plant a seed

creeping sheepishly away from musicthreads

5. Can I have Freiheit - Keeping the Dream Alive?

6. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

7. krtek a houby

Dirty Laundry - Don Henley was a big hit, iirc

Here's the Information Society with a completely unrelated ditty

8. Spandex

Spandex A crazy bulbous punchbag of sound

That only got to 91 in the UK charts, which is hardly a hit. In her native Germany she was massive - had 11 top 20 hits and outsold Madonna.

She had more success in the UK as part of Enigma.

9. krtek a houby

Ah, I didn't think it was UK-specific, given the title of the thread. I wasn't living in the UK at the time, so I heard it a lot on the radio and the Music Box/MTV :)

Spandex likes this.
  10. Spandex

tbf, I don't think anyone did say it was UK specific, but if you open it up globally confusion will reign. There's loads of bands that have successful careers on their home turf, but only one hit somewhere else. There may be a country somewhere in the world where The Beatles only had one top 20 hit...

11. krtek a houby

Thread title needs changing, in that case!

12. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

Hank Mizell - Jungle Rock.

Recorded in 1958 without doing any business this became a club hit during the early 70s rockabilly revival and then a chart hit. Singles which become hits on the back of 'revivals' are often rather random choices but this one pretty much embodies the scene that rediscovered it, both musically and by being a virtually unknown rarity.

ska invita and Spandex like this.
  13. Poot

Poot Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

Some excellent tunes here (and I also liked being reminded of It's Immaterial). But for my money I think spanglechick is right, there isn't a better one than Strawberry Switchblade. Though I will admit that I was at a very impressionable age when it came out. (Hair! Polka dots! Heavy makeup!)

14. killer b

The all seeing eye wasnt a cover, it just heavily sampled Buddy Rich. The spears version she actually re-did the vox with the same backing as the all seeing eye version (I think they got a production credit on the LP too).

15. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I thought “one hit wonders” released one song and then we’re never heard from again. Strawberry Switchblade released an album.

16. Poot

Poot Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

Maybe, but they're not really known for any other single. So they did literally have one hit single.

17. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

I feel deeply saddened that we are 4 pages in and no one has released the true greatest one hit wonder

18. killer b

I saw rose macdowall from strawberry switchblade a couple of years ago - shes had a very odd post one hit wonder career singing for loads of industrial & neo-folk acts (including all the nazi ones)

19. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

Seems to be on going confusion about what makes a one hit wonder.

Surely the clue is that it's called a one hit wonder, not a one release wonder

spanglechick likes this.
  20. londonkid

londonkid Active Member

Craig David was huge in UK then disappeared of the radar

21. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Have we had this yet?

jjuice and krtek a houby like this.
  22. killer b

his first three albums went top ten, as did his last two. He had a single in the top ten in 2017.

Spandex likes this.
  23. Spandex

Craig David has had 19 top 20 singles :eek:

24. Orang Utan

It's a Sonny and Cher song

25. killer b

I wasn't aware of that! The sample used by the all seeing eye is from the Buddy Rich version though (which is a banger)

26. Orang Utan

Aye, it's a very clever and well constructed song, but it's deffo a cover of Sonny & Cher, just very different and with added sample from other source. So I think it would be accurate to describe Spears' version as a cover of the All Seeing I version rather than a cover of the Sonny & Cher original

27. killer b

I wouldn't call the all seeing eye song a cover though, any more than Ride On Time is a cover of Love Hangover, or Blueboy's Remember Me (which should probably be on this thread anyway) is a cover of Woman of the Ghetto...

Orang Utan likes this.
  28. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

Kind of an archetypal one hit wonder. William DeVaughn - Be Thankful for What You Got.

Written by DeVaughn, who paid towards the recording costs. Luckily for him the musicians on the session were the cream of the Philly Soul crew and the result was an absolute classic. Big hit in the US in 1974, only top 40 here in the UK. Ubiquitous on early soul pirate radio, the lyrics have often been quoted and there have been several covers. DeVaughn was seemingly undecided between showbiz and the church and ended up going back to the day job, with only the occasional toe dip into recording again.

29. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

Love Sensation :p;)

killer b likes this.
  30. killer b

Yeah that.

Ted Striker likes this.