Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

bestest one-hit wonder ever in the history of the world.

Orang Utan

knows how to use the three shells
finalstryke said:
meh - I'[m fairly sure that if I asked random people who we're sitting near internet access to name 3 soft cell hits, 8/10 would only remember one song.
I've just asked 5 people around me and guess what?

Final

efficiency=max effort=min
Orang Utan said:
I've just asked 5 people around me and guess what?
all of them remembered tainted Love, and then they all spent 5 minutes racking their brains before tentatively guessing at a second one which turned out to be by Wham or something?

Orang Utan

knows how to use the three shells
finalstryke said:
all of them remembered tainted Love, and then they all spent 5 minutes racking their brains before tentatively guessing at a second one which turned out to be by Wham or something?
No, my boss said Say Hello Wave Goodbye FIRST. Everyone else picked Tainted Love first, then it was SHWG, Torch and Bedsitter. One person said Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart but that's not Soft Cell

Chairman Meow

Perth, WA
Orang Utan said:
No, my boss said Say Hello Wave Goodbye FIRST. Everyone else picked Tainted Love first, then it was SHWG, Torch and Bedsitter. One person said Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart but that's not Soft Cell
It isn't? :confused:

Final

efficiency=max effort=min
ok - conceding defeat on the Tainted Love entry, I'm hard pressed to choose between two tracks:

Frijid Pink - House Of The Rising Sun
Jilted John - Jilted John

Spandex

A crazy bulbous punchbag of sound
Is it wrong to say luther vandross never too much? Maybe he had more hits but I never heard them.
He had seven top 20 hits in the UK. I don't know where people stand on the collaborations issue with 'one hit' wonders, but The Best Things in Life Are Free with Janet Jackson is what I remember him for best.

campanula

diminished responsibilty
mmmm, what constitutes a 'hit' is debatable. Procol Harum made zillions of records but really, only Whiter Shade of Pale counts...
Wild Thing (the Troggs) and Steppenwolf's Born to be Wild come to mind. Not exactly what you could call one hit wonders in the same way as The Archies woeful Sugar Sugar but still...could be me not getting this though.

Last edited:

campanula

diminished responsibilty
The All Seeing Eye - Walk like a Panther (yes, yes, Tony Christie)
It's Immaterial - Driving away from home (um, not really a hit but I like it)
Bran Van 3000 -Drinking in LA and Don Henley - Boys of Summer

Giving up after this (should know better than to venture forth into music threads).