Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

bestest one-hit wonder ever in the history of the world.

spanglechick

High Empress of Dressing Up
hot on the heels of swarfella's novelty record thread, and further to a heated debate i was having with savage henry in the pub on saturday...

which are your favourite one-hit wonders?

i like Macarthur park - Richard Harris sings flat and repeatedly gets the title of the song wrong, for 7mins 20secs, surreal, mounrful lyrics about leaving a cake in the rain, backed by a full symphony orchestra.
not to be confused with the donna summer cover.

also Since Yesterday by strawberry switchblade. Pure goth-pop scottish-accented sweetness and edge. Plus a whole style, all their own, of polkadot ra ra skirts and cascades od polka dot and lace ribbons.

For the purposes of this, we'll broadly describe a hit as reaching top 20.

girasol

Ubuntu
I heard it the other day on the radio, so it's the song that first came into my head:

House of Pain, Jump Around

Although it turns out they released 3 albums, so maybe it doesn't count...

keybored

Well done. You remember cat good.
Iemanja said:
I heard it the other day on the radio, so it's the song that first came into my head:

House of Pain, Jump Around

Although it turns out they released 3 albums, so maybe it doesn't count...
and Everlast went on to release 3 solo LPs too (besides 1 pre-House of Pain flop).

Johnny Canuck3

Vanilla Fudge - You Keep Me Hanging On

Desmond Dekker - Israelites

Phil Phillips - Sea of Love

Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky

keybored

Well done. You remember cat good.
jugularvein said:
whigfield saturday night ----- dark days

that nutstormer who did 'your woman'
Jyoti Mishra (AKA White Town). That Whigfield one did my box right in... this has set it off again. ARGH!:eek: :mad:

marty21

One on one? You're crazy.
2 from pop's ice age

5 7 0 5 - cityboy
driver seat - sniff n the tears (although i'm not sure that was actually a hit)

Dubversion

Gorn
Enforced Holiday
the whole one hit wonder thing is a bit suss, though. there are bands that might have 25 year careers and rarely release singles, or they may never chart. doesn't mean they're one hit wonders, really

Dubversion said:
the whole one hit wonder thing is a bit suss, though. there are bands that might have 25 year careers and rarely release singles, or they may never chart. doesn't mean they're one hit wonders, really
Agreed. Soup Dragons don't count as they had at least one studio album.

An artist has to have literally one song that is a huge smash, and nothing else whatsoever, smash or not smash.

Dubversion

Gorn
Enforced Holiday
RenegadeDog said:
An artist has to have literally one song that is a huge smash, and nothing else whatsoever, smash or not smash.
that doesn't work either. Almost every band that has a smash hit will try and have another (i have the Althea & Donna follow-up single and album, for example)

Reno

The In Kraut
spanglechick said:
also Since Yesterday by strawberry switchblade. Pure goth-pop scottish-accented sweetness and edge. Plus a whole style, all their own, of polkadot ra ra skirts and cascades od polka dot and lace ribbons.
Three minutes of pure pop bliss, always guaranteed to cheer me up. :)

I rather like Shame, Shame, Shame by Shirley & Company and I appreciate I Love to Love by Tina Charles for its blatantly gay subtext.

christonabike

Elm Park Bencher
Timbuk3 - The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades

or

Srawberry Switchblade, as mentioned above

or

Althea and Donna, as mentioned above

:)

hipipol

Peckham Wry
heres a couple...

Thunderclap Newman - Something in the Air
Charles and Eddie - Would I lie to you
Simon Duprees Big Sound - Kites
Eddie and the Hotrods - Do anyhting you wanna do
Whatshername - Ring my bell
Errol Dunkley - OK Fred - well for the gen UK top 20
Same for........Sugga Bugga Wogga Minott with Good Thing Going

Almost any artist produced by Joe Meek

hipipol

Peckham Wry
Ref Althea and Donna

Basically a pair of middle class Jamaican girls Errol T heard taking the piss out( at a bus stop apperently, tho that sounds......)of the Marcia Griffiths I'm Still in Love rythyms DJ version huge in Jamaica at the time, Three Peice Suit - Trinitys first biggy. Strictly speaking the artists were Joe Gibbs and Errol Thompson with some daft girls having a laff on the rythym......

Picky or what?

dynamicbaddog

spanglechick said:
which are your favourite one-hit wonders?

i like Macarthur park - Richard Harris sings flat and repeatedly gets the title of the song wrong, for 7mins 20secs, surreal, mounrful lyrics about leaving a cake in the rain, backed by a full symphony orchestra.

I like that too! my mum had it and I used to play it lots when I lived at home, the lyrics were :cool: 'all the sweet green icing flowing down.....':D

only other one hit wonder that I can think off that has'nt been mentioned already is Stan Ridgeway - Camouflage:)