Best way to book train tickets

Discussion in 'transport' started by rikwakefield, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here Banned

Um, that's wrong. They'll just be more expensive.

2. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam. Enforced Holiday Banned

Cheers.

I've been looking on the Trainline and Virgin Trains' web sites and I can get an advance on the way back only. Off-peak on the Monday morning is only a few quid more. A return for 2 adults and 2 kids is £248, which is much better than I thought it would be tbh!

Saturday costs about 3 times more though!

Normally, there is a daily direct train to Euston from Bangor...but on the day I'm going there is a change at Milton Keynes Central, which is the only annoyance.

3. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

*Scratches head*
    Easy peasy 50 years ago - you just went to the ticket office where a nice friendly man handed over the ticket and said something that wasn't "Have a nice day" :)

tedsplitter and two sheds like this.
  4. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam. Enforced Holiday Banned

Aah, the days when you didn't need a small bank loan to pay for rail travel, and weren't crammed in like sardines for the pleaseure.

tedsplitter, Artaxerxes and yardbird like this.
  5. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Going to a ticket office is probably the most stress-free way to do this btw.

6. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Is it just me or has topcashback stopped linking through to RSH? No double points for me any more :(

7. Bungle73

Not for me it isn't. I prefer researching fares in my own time and in the comfort of my own home. And it means I can investigate different permutations at my leisure.
    That appears to be the case, yes. :(

The best deal ever, was a whole 6% from Southern, but that offer ceased some time ago.

8. Bungle73

RSH said on their FB page that they are planning to re-launch on Quidco "soon"

9. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

My wife wants to travel from Darlington to Portsmouth Harbour (ie to the worst place in Britain from the second worst) in October by train. Where the fuck do I start when it comes to booking this? Not particularly bothered about the cost but I don't want loads of mental conditions attached where she gets tasered for looking out of the window because that wasn't included in her fare.

iamwithnail and MrSki like this.
  10. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

not megabus :hmm:

11. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

It'll take about 5 hours, and involves getting from Kings Cross to Waterloo on the tube. Departures every hour from Darlington.
    Alternatively it can take 6 hours with just one change in Basingstoke, with the same cost, but a less pleasant train for the bulk of the journey (a Cross-Country diesel, rather than an electric East Coast train). There's only a couple of trains a day.

Use nationalrail.co.uk to find the times

If she can commit to travelling on an exact train at an exact time, it costs £45 one way, for either route (but buy that ticket now or the cheap tickets will sell out). For a flexible off-peak ticket, it's £137. For travel at any time, it's an eye-watering £151.

12. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

It'd also be worth checking the prices for splitting the tickets (i.e. Darlington - London and London - Portsmouth). It might be possible to combine a cheap advance to London with a flexible one to Portsmouth.

if a cheap advance is booked don't try to get on at Northallerton or York though, or there will be trouble :eek:

marty21 likes this.
  13. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

Very helpful, thank you. Just booked it all - about 190 quid for 1st class.

14. story

story Changing the facts

So I want to travel from London Victoria to Brighton tomorrow. I want to buy an open return ticket.

Brief googling (thetrainline.com) suggest that there is no financial benefit in booking in advance. The price for this evening, tomorrow or a month hence all comes in at £26.

So I can just go to the ticket office and buy a ticket tomorrow and not be penalised for choosing not to book in advance… right…?

15. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

Bungle73 will know :)

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  16. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

story fwiw I think the answer is yes, I did similar recently. Just get the ticket at the station ;)

story likes this.
  17. Bungle73

Yes, Southern do Advances. It looks like it's too late to book them for tomorrow now though: http://www.southernrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/ticket-types/advance/

Edit: Yes, need to book them by 6pm.

Southern Advances are slightly different from the norm, in that you don't get a reservation for a seat, only a train. Also Southern's "Rainy Day Guarantee"...or what ever they're calling it now applies, in that if you decide not to travel you can get a refund, which is highly unusual with Advance tickets: http://www.southernrailway.com/offers/money-back-guarantee/

mango5 and story like this.
  18. story

story Changing the facts

Bollox for the needlessly lost money though....

19. story

story Changing the facts

Thanks.

Bungle73 likes this.
  20. Bungle73

I'm ditching RSH now, as they're introducing a £1 fee.

marty21 and mango5 like this.
  21. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

An investigation by the Telegraph published today reveals the fucking expensive shambles buying a train ticket in the UK continues to be:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ssengers-routinely-denied-cheapest-fares.html

Is there any other country in the world where this bullshit is allowed to happen?

22. SikhWarrioR

SikhWarrioR And the Worms ate into his brain

What was it again that the privateers promised us again? Oh yes a cheaper better easier to use more efficient Railway with a simpler ticket system

23. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Anyone used TrainGenius? Looks like a better % on topcashback than thetrainline which I still haven't got round to using.

24. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

I need someone to post me train tickets, and not charge a premium on the ticket price. I used to use Eastcoast who sent them out for £1 but now they've been virginised and for some reason won't let me buy anything for travel after 2nd August :confused:

25. Bungle73

Because at time of your posting Advance tickets had probably only been made available until then. According to the website they are now available until the 9th. They are usually released weekly, and aprox. (but not always) 12 week in advance.

26. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

I don't remember the old Eastcoast website only issuing tickets that far ahead. It's not an advance ticket I require.

27. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Actually it probably did and I'm misremebering it. I notice the National Rail system is saying the same.

28. Bungle73

Why do you need to but them this far in advance then?

29. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

To claim expenses in advance before the money runs out :D

Bungle73 likes this.
  30. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Since the re-privatisation of East Coast it's definitely harder to get hold of the cheapest advance singles, I used to have no problem getting the £13 Leeds-London tickets if I did it quite a few weeks in advance. Even the next price up (£22) are scarce for Sunday nights. The thieving cunts haven't put prices up (so no-one can accuse them of this), they've just made less of the cheap tickets available, which amounts to the same thing. Fuck the tory scum that did this. Fuck them with something big, hot and spiky.