1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best time to hit the 'Reduced To Clear' section?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by killer b, May 22, 2013.

1. Schmetterling

Schmetterling I saw something nasty in the woodshed!

I wonder what the legality would have been if you had nicked it?

2. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Pretty straightforward really; he'd have been guilty of theft.

Schmetterling and BigTom like this.
  3. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

As spy says, guilty of theft. Even once it's gone in the bins it is still theirs and people skip diving are technically stealing though I'm not aware of anyone being charged/convicted

Schmetterling likes this.
  4. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

They could have sought a prosecution for theft, but as they were committing an offence by placing on the market food unfit for human consumption, they would probably prefer not to make a fuss.

5. og ogilby

og ogilby Well-Known Member

Pretty obvious it would be theft, but I've often wondered if the store/cops would have a different attitude if you walked out of the shop with a bag full of heavily discounted items with no full price goods.

Would it be said in court you had stolen fifty quids worth of food or five pounds worth?

Libertad likes this.
  6. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Five pounds, but perhaps it would be even more dimly viewed that nicking full priced stuff, given that you'd be depriving other people of cheap food.

passenger likes this.
  7. Schmetterling

I agree with Spymaster and BigTom that if one takes goods from a shop or a shop's bins without paying for them then, within the law as it is written, this would be theft; however, (I am playing with a legal philosophical, possibly, paradox here) the food was on display (still on offer) and priced. The poster offered to pay that price. The cashier noticed that the item was now completely out of date and thus refused the sale.
    We know that a person can only be punished within the confines of a law (nulla poene sine lege); it would be the defence's onus to proof that the above act cannot be punished.
    So, does a law exist which specifically forbids the poster from taking the food without paying for it after what I described above?

8. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Of course. The item is still the property of the store, regardless of the fact that they can't sell it.

BigTom likes this.
  9. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

I'd have to look up the laws but shops are allowed to refuse sale for any non-discriminatory reason, the item in question is still owned by them until they sell it to someone else and in this case there has been no transaction/sale so it is still legally their possession and therefore theft. Even once they throw it away, they still own it by law, until the refuse collection happens at which point the refuse collectors take ownership.

A380 likes this.
  10. Schmetterling

Hm; interesting. Ok, I can see how the same law could/would still apply then.
    ... just hoping to find a way out ... ;)

11. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

NO-ONE ESCAPES
    except by using the scab tills and putting the steak through as potatoes :hmm:

I cannot imagine anyone being charged for stealing in those circumstances, but it's definitely theft in a technical/legal sense.

12. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

it's all about plausible deniability

13. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

Our boxing day brisket was reduced from £18 to £4. Score!

passenger likes this.
  14. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I got bone-in, pork loin joint for £4 yesterday, down from £11.

passenger likes this.
  15. iona

iona toxic clown

Loads of steak and paprika sweet potato fries ready-to-cook meals in Waitrose tonight reduced down to £1.49 from a fiver.

16. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

600g box of white and dark chocolates from M & S for £2.99 (down from £13). Best before date is tomorrow but I doubt I'll die of chocolate food poisoning.

But I remembered after buying them I'm not that big a fan of chocolate. :hmm:

17. farmerbarleymow

Got through half the box and not enjoying the chore of eating chocolate. :(

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  18. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

This saddens me .....:(

emanymton and farmerbarleymow like this.
  19. farmerbarleymow

Chocolate is just a nasty claggy substance. :(

I'll probably bin the remaining half of the box.

20. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

Noooooooooooo....

Post it on to me...lol

sojourner and farmerbarleymow like this.
  21. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

DP. but no idea how.

Or maybe not. My phone just went veey very odd.

22. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  23. farmerbarleymow

I'll stamp on the disgusting stuff before chucking it. :p

DaveCinzano and emanymton like this.
  24. Oriole

Oriole Well-Known Member

25. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

Nobbing and sobbing forum thataway ----->>

Spymaster likes this.
  26. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

27. May Kasahara

May Kasahara channelling Lynda Day

Not massive reductions, but I got 2x organic sirloin steaks, 4x wild salmon fillets and 3x outdoor bred pork loin steaks in the Sainsbury's RP section today.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  28. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

Booths tramps buffet tonight was like a beautiful dream. I arrived just as they were unloading the good stuff - game, lamb, artisan pies, smoothies, fruit compote, all the vegetables, mangoes, grapes... all down to 20%. Glorious. We shall eat like kings this week. :)

iona, May Kasahara and fishfinger like this.
  29. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

a real brucie bonus today- not a huge one to some minds but to a man who likes his cheddars it was ace. Cathedral cheese for 50p, only its not a whole block. Its five individually wraped cheddar variants. The one I just et made my eyes water. And they say cheddar is bland!

30. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

I havent had a decent haul in ages. Sainsburys are the worst at reductions i find, a paltry 30% if your lucky- they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. I dont mind when Lidl only offer 30% as its cheap as fuck to begin with, but sainsburys, nah mate, outright thieves!