Best time to hit the 'Reduced To Clear' section?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by killer b, May 22, 2013.

1. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

too early, everything is only marked down by 10p, too late and there's only a wrinkled bunch of spring onions left. timing is everything - so, when?

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

when they dump it in a bin

next

3. killer b

i dunno where the bins are. :(

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

try round the back

BigMoaner and stuff_it like this.
  5. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

btw 5.30 and 6pm in Waitrose. The chicken rotisserie/deli counter staff knock off about then and there are fine bargains to be had - I got a whole roast chicken for 99p last week.

6. Smyz

Smyz FNG

If not bleached or crushed when binned. Hourly patrol is the only way to be sure.

paul russell999, UrbaneFox and Greebo like this.
  7. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

I hit a bonanza in M&S last night around 5:30. Posh sandwiches for 80p, Moroccan lamb pastry things 50p plus other goodies.

muscovyduck likes this.
  8. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

My local Tescos doesn't start properly marking down until at least 8.30-9pm. Before then they may do a bit, but it's frankly derisory reductions like a pork pie from £1.30 to £1.20.

9. seeformiles

It's got to be a decent reduction - at least a 3rd off before it can even be considered! ;)

muscovyduck, scalyboy and Greebo like this.
  10. killer b

normally the case here too, but i got a posh quiche there for 15p at 6.30 last night. everything else was at a much higher price still though. :confused:

11. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

3-3.30 at waitrose on a sunday. Waitrose can be awesome because they deals (i.e. 2 for 5quid) mixed with reduction often actualy generate money at the till.

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  12. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

Where are the supermarkets that do the best tramps buffet? I rarely see any decent bargains. Apart from the odd soggy egg sandwich that was cheap to start with :rolleyes:

13. killer b

not every day, but i often do ok at tesco. waitrose can be good apparently, but i dont go often enough to give a full assessment.

14. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

its about five to half past in our local one. It can be terrifying if you are accidentally walking past, suddenly a hoard a people descend on the two square metres around the relevant shelf, and, if you're not careful, you can be stuck there for hours amid a sea of arms and people going 'what the hell are these?'

muscovyduck, scalyboy and Barking_Mad like this.
  15. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

I find that Tescos are usually shit, apart from the time I got a load of pizzas for 25p each.

Asda can be good.

But it's the posh shops that IME do the best reductions.

readergirl, muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  16. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

I sometimes go into a supermarket around closing time to see if there's anything that's been reduced loads, if there is then I'll go back half an hour after closing and get it out of the bin.

17. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

CoOp tends to mark down fresh fruit & veg quite often, Waitrose mark down lots of bread, Asda seems to be pretty random, Sainsburys & Tesco tend to mark down more precooked and ready to eat food - basically just keep your eyes open for a couple of weeks, as the buyer for one branch doesn't always have the same priorities as the one for a branch as little as 3 miles away.

muscovyduck and Smyz like this.
  18. Bakunin

Bakunin I am Noodle's bitch.

Find out when they start putting out the tramp's buffet and then get there about 10-15 minutes early for the pick of the slops is my usual MO. Our local store tends to put stuff out at round about 8:30-9pm, although occasional bargains can be had earlier if you're there at the right time.

Smyz and Greebo like this.
  19. mrsfran

mrsfran Slightly less bulbous

09.30am Thursday morning at my local Waitrose. New stock going in for the weekend, old stock marked down. :cool:

Smyz and Greebo like this.
  20. seeformiles

IME Waitrose have a higher bar for freshness so their stuff gets shoved into the "reduced" section quicker. I love Aldi but they'll happily sell you a stale loaf.

readergirl, muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  21. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

I remember Morrisons camberwell being particularly good

22. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

In the city on a bank holiday monday/sunday.
    No one is there.

Smyz likes this.
  23. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

Late afternoon on a Saturday Bank Holiday weekend. Fucking Jurassic Park, mate.

BOOOOM PARMA HAM 50p

scalyboy, gaijingirl, idumea and 2 others like this.
  24. Firky

This is a man who knows :cool:

25. RedDragon

RedDragon "I am not one of your fans!"

It's a good marketing ploy, few people look at the original price.

Barbican Waitrose used to have amazing bargains during the weekend when few people were about.

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  26. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

everyone looks at the original pricing round our way. If its not a bargain, fuck it, Even if I want it.

27. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I would list them in this order. .
    Waitrose - Good stuff marked down a HECK of a lot fairly fast
    Co op - Luck of the draw but some good stuff at about half price from 3.30pm
    Sainsburys - Rarely decent
    Tescos - possible good value after 9.30 but mostly shit stuff that you don't want. I only have a metro though.

Greebo likes this.
  28. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

Depends when you go and where. We had Tesco finest gammon steaks for dinner last night. £1.13 for two. Mark down times here in the 'Nam are 4pm and 7pm.

29. Firky

M&S is shit. They'll sell stuff at the full price when it's past its best the next day. Fuck Mark and fuck Spencer. Pair of twats.

readergirl likes this.
  30. killer b

you say that, but i hit gold at sunderland M&S once the summer before last. bags & bags of that days bakery goods (biscuits, cakes, allsorts of shit) at 10p a bag. :cool: