Best(?) office chair for less than £200

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by MadeInBedlam, Sep 17, 2015.

1. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam Arm the mentally ill

Not sure where to place this thread so my apologies if in the wrong place.

After a very long period of being intellectually unproductive, I am now (almost) back in a position where it is worthwhile setting up a little work space in my flat.

Part of this of course is having a comfortable, supportive ('ergonomic') chair that I can sit on for long periods of time (or indeed any time at all) without causing myself pain/damage. When I was at University (some time ago) I had a chair that did/had lots of things - lumbar support, tilting that could be weight adjusted or locked etc. When googling I see a lot of models that have mesh instead of cushion (for sweat?).

I've picked up a fairly comfortable, but limited, swivelly chair from British Heart Foundation for a tenner. I'm using it for meals as well as the hard wooden chairs my dear mother gave me give me agony.

Have a birthday coming up and have asked family to club together and get me a decent chair. Been doing some research but don't really understand the territory. Any advice?

2. MadeInBedlam

Any ideas at all? Even where to look, or who to ask?

3. BandWagon

BandWagon Life's a bitch and then you die...

You could try Amazon.

4. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I think ringo is 'into' chairs. Not sure about office chairs, though. And I think he's got expensive taste :)

ringo likes this.
  5. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

neonwilderness and Fez909 like this.
  6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

take one from work

next

7. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

I'd try to find a showroom and try some out.

8. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Damit. Now thanks to this thread I am looking a new chairs. :mad:

9. aron

aron New Member

ringo likes this.
  10. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

Pickman's model, Badgers and ringo like this.
  11. Pingu

Pingu Credo

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I bought a used Aeron chair off eBay for something like £200. It's bloody ace.

danski likes this.
  13. FunkyUK

FunkyUK u=5337

Ebay - you can get them for less than £200 there. Loads are priced higher / buy it now on ebay, but there are always loads secondhand there

14. MadeInBedlam

cheers guys - am really keen not to get something that simply looks like it's ergonomic. really appreciate the advice :)

15. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

Got mine from that place in New Cross as I was working round the corner. Seven years later it's good as new (to me).

16. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Need to get a new office chair as mine has given up :(

Any insider knowledge?

Pickman's model likes this.
  17. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

I have back problems and can recommend the Haworth Comforto 29 mesh chair. Has decreased my back pain quite significantly.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  18. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

I got mine from that knock-off place associated with TK Maxx and, to my amazement, it's absolutely great. Apart from the bits that fall off sometimes, it's probably the most comfortable office chair I've owned.

19. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

Another vote for a proper Aeron. Mine was second hand in about 2002 and it's still working well and very comfortable. Spares and how-to vids are all out there, I've replaced the seat pan without problem.

They show up in s/h office furniture shops, one on Wandsworth Road had plenty of them a couple of months ago.

not-bono-ever likes this.
  20. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

Another three years later, all is still well :thumbs:

salem and equationgirl like this.
  21. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

Get a good s/h vitra from an used office supplies outlet. Avoid the eames licences ones as they are less supportive and more about design. Vitra are also maintainable and parts can be had easily

equationgirl likes this.
  22. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Have seen a lot of the eames vitra stuff dye to office refurb work I have been doing, I thought they looked awful to be honest, and as you said more style over substance.