Best Left-Wing Twitter Accounts

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Idris2002, Feb 20, 2017.

1. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

"Very harsh and misleading caricature of his posts" , but you then go on to defend him on all counts :D

as for "there are those debates within the working class." , of course there are, as there are in all sectors of society. But the British working classes also have some of the most racially mixed, culturally diverse traditions of the 20/21st C, and some of the most accepting attitudes to gay / trans culture ( from Victorian times onwards.)

Embery' + co's narrow little idea of what represents working class social attitudes is patronising and parochial - he's a Red Tory.

as for 'tweeting' him, have done, it's irrelevant / he's not interested, he's there to grandstand, not debate.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Mordi likes this.
  2. Humirax

Humirax Guest

Hbomberguy (also on youtube) H. Bomberguy (@Hbomberguy) on Twitter

Dick Coughlan (also on youtube) Dick Cunty-Bollocks Coughlan (@DickCoughlan) | Twitter

Kevin Logan (also on youtube) Kevin Logan (@kflogan) on Twitter

Bad Mouse(also on youtube) BadMouse (@BadMouse101) | Twitter

Tracey Jenson Tracey Jensen (@Drtraceyjensen) on Twitter

Shaun (also on youtube) Shaun (@shaun_jen) on Twitter

Anarchist:

Lisa McKenzie Lisa Mckenzie (@redrumlisa) on Twitter

Martin Lux (also on youtube) Martin Lux (@red_black_tv) on Twitter

Ian Bone Ian Bone (@radowitzky57) on Twitter

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2018
  3. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

I havent defended him on all counts I have simply said theres nothing wrong in him questioning some of the 'lefts' orthodoxy on identity type issues or him being pro family or immigration sceptic.
    who are you on Twitter?

mather likes this.
  4. cantsin

@whocares?

The39thStep likes this.
  5. cantsin

that Keir Hardie / gender fluidity tweet isn't 'questioning' , it's sneery, borderline transphobic crap - I'm not losing sleep over any of it, but when's he held up on here as someone to follow re: 'left- twitter', it's going to be challenged.

Vintage Paw likes this.
  6. HoratioCuthbert

HoratioCuthbert I had estates!

His North Coast 500 pics were grand :cool:

7. HoratioCuthbert

HoratioCuthbert I had estates!

@Hamptonthink often has interesting stuff

8. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Also:

@PeterSalmon7
    @realspycop (Peter Francis - ex-SDS)
    @ARspycatcher (Paul Gravett - formerly of London Greenpeace)
    @islingtonvspies
    @Undercoverinfo1
    @SpiedUpon
    @dirkspig (Mike Hughes, author of Blacklisted)
    @MonitoringGroup
    @val_aston
    @tombfowler
    @emilyapple
    @sackandycoles
    @theyspiedhere

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Fozzie Bear likes this.
  9. The39thStep

What do you think about the appointment of Munroe Berdorf as Labours LGBT adviser?

10. cantsin

didn't read any full text, but deffo had no problem with the angle that whitey has been the most destructive, brutal race on earth ( if she even said that - frothing twitter posse seem to think so) - demonstrably true, the numbers speak for themselves, but of course misses half the story, ie : that ruling class whitey was the destroyer / brutaliser / and primary benefactor

11. The39thStep

And as she said , the Suffragettes were white supremacists ? Where do you feel this leaves Labour with connecting with the working class?

12. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

Who is this amorphous 'working class'?

13. cantsin

in same place the czech spy farce left it - no one really cares

14. The39thStep

The ones that Labour is trying to chase without offending its middle class base

15. The39thStep

Ok must just be me then who feels that statement from Labour Party advisers that all white people are racist or the Suffagettes being an example of white supremacy should be challenged.

mather likes this.
  16. cantsin

its not that, I just can't be arsed chasing around the usual Daily Mail / Sun / Telegraph / Whatever scare stories re: Spies / crazed IDPol lefties / etc etc just to try and work out what grain of truth there might be in the story as they reeport it - we've been seeing this rubbish since the 80's , did you get all worked up by the Baa Baa Black sheep 'ban' outrage, only to discover it never happened ?

17. seventh bullet

seventh bullet red mullet

I thought he was taking on fascists in the 1980s...

18. cantsin

this can't turn into an Embery / Blue Labour nonsense tweet, but he actually RT'd this today :

19. J Ed

J Ed Follow Back Pro Expropriation

The author of the article is pretty vile, but do you really think there is no substance to what she is saying about smartphones? I know that when I was at school technology was a huge distraction for me, and my ability to use the internet was markedly more limited than it is for almost all children in Britain today. Social media platforms are deliberately designed to monopolise as much time as possible, and they do so very successfully with the time of adults, do you really think that that effect is not magnified with younger people who have never known anything else?

The point that she is making about Gates and Jobs restricting their children in their use of technology is a very good one. It is part of a wider trend of silicon valley types, those who understand technology and social platforms the best, recognising the dangers for their children.

20. The39thStep

No , I didn't I knew that it never happened but funnily enough I did have an argument around that time with some ex public school rasta at work when he objected to me asking for a white coffee . The trouble is Cantsin is that Munroe Berdoff isnt an urban myth she actually said those things and was still appointed as an adviser to Labour. Can you imagine the outcry if she had said those things an had been appointed as an adviser to the Lib Dems or the Tories?

mather and MadeInBedlam like this.
  21. cantsin

Go and ask underpaid, overworked, undervalued teachers in critically underfunded schools, trying to teach kids from struggling households ( with all the distractions / obstacles to learning that involves ) whether the “ BIGGEST obstacle to kids achieving at school “ is phones.

22. The39thStep

75% of teachers say smartphones should be banned from the classroom
    Teachers are losing 11 DAYS of teaching time a year because of smartphones

Mab, mojo pixy, mather and 1 other person like this.
  23. J Ed

I agree that it isn't the biggest problem, but it is a very significant one and that problem is getting bigger.

There is also empirical evidence to back up the claims made in the article.

http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/dp1350.pdf

You may not like the author of the article, or standpoint, or the headline and I don't either but the article makes a lot of pertinent points which are not being made nearly enough in the public sphere. Actually, the fact that you are angrily going on about the fact that you disagree with the headline of the article which you came across via a tweet is a very good example of the sort of process which is described in Birbalsingh's article...

Birbalsingh is far from the first person to recognise this sort of phenomenon though she is the first I've seen on the right to recognise it and express concern, in fact reading the article reminded me a lot of the same concerns which Mark Fisher expressed through his writing which acknowledged this exact same process of the disembedding of meaning, context, historicity of media through technology and the knock on effect that has on cognition.

mather, MadeInBedlam and DotCommunist like this.
  24. cantsin

Seems sensible -

Doesn't mean notorious Tory shill Birbalsingh isn't trying to deflect from decades of underfunding for schools, and the ever widening inequality gap / the effects that's having on the poorest household ( poverty being the single biggest determinant of likely academic achievement - not use of bloody phones) .

But no surprise to see Embery buying into this feeble narrative, for him its all about trad families making the right choices,disciplining kids etc

Libertad likes this.
  25. J Ed

By the way, it's interesting to look at some of the replies to the article. On the one hand, lots of educational consultants, many of whom depend financially on pushing edtech, accusing her of luddism in the same way that neoliberals attack concerns about things like automation. On the other side, many teachers including those critical of Michaela Free School, saying that they agree with her.

mather likes this.
  26. cantsin

Ta, will have a look - no argument from me at all re:the problems of constant use of smart phones, it's an incessant war of attrition with my sprogs (no saint myself) .

J Ed likes this.
  27. J Ed

Nor me, not sure if self-awareness of the problem makes it any better tbh

cantsin likes this.
  28. cantsin

resigned : feel a bit sorry for her tbh

29. The39thStep

tweet her

30. cantsin