Best free museum

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by bi0boy, Mar 13, 2016.

?

What's the best of the big free museums?

1. Science museum

11.8%
  2. Natural history museum

41.2%
  3. British museum

32.4%
  4. Imperial War museum

14.7%
  5. Museum of London

11.8%
  6. Some art gallery, design museum or other such place

35.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. porp

porp Well-Known Member

Lovely thread.

Looking back, I have fond memories of the Museum of Mankind, in a fancy building somewhere near Piccadilly. Not the biggest place, but if you were in the area, the carefully curated anthropological stuff was worth a pop in. Now absorbed into the (much less attractive) British Museum.

Other dead museums: the Commonwealth Institute. I loved that place. By the time I was able to visit in the early 90s, I think it was past its heyday, but the variety an detail kept you absorbed. Also a fabulous building, now hosting a not so good Design Museum (tube map a classic? - you don't say!) But big advantage of the Design Museum is at least one very restful sitting area that few people use.

Sorry OP, to choose from your list, I'd say upper floors of the science museum.

blossie33 likes this.
  2. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

Not a museum but one of my absolute favourite cultural places is the Barbican, they do have galleries there.

I love the Tate Modern but it's looking pretty "lived in".

Smick likes this.
  3. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I loved the Museum of Mankind as well, think it was a branch of the V&A. The building is now part of the RA.
    I like the British Museum and the V&A but they're not so good when you're wanting a quiet look around somewhere, there are always crowds of people.
    I love the Wellcome and most of the Saatchi Gallery exhibitions are free.

tim likes this.
  4. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Finally got around to the museum and gallery at bethlem royal earlier today
    Bethlem Museum of the Mind
    It's down west wickham, beckenham way
    I found it brilliant, disturbing and moving. Well worth a visit.
    Kurelick,s way of illustrating his life before his mental health issue was the maze, fantastic piece

th.jpg

5. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

I really like the Museum of London - stuff from prehistoric to modern day, and they have a lot of stuff about social history in the capital - I've spent a lot of time there over the years for a variety of reasons, and I think it does a splendid job.

6. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Funnily enough, one of the guides we chatted to yesterday worked at museum of London for 18 months. She was lovely, very enthuastic and knowledgeable.

7. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

Natural History Museum for me.

The IWM should be near the top of my list but it's just not very good. It's always a bit disappointing, which is inexcusable given we've fought with virtually every country around the world.

agricola likes this.
  8. UrbaneFox

UrbaneFox working on it

Thanks, I'll go there. :)

blossie33 likes this.
  9. dessiato

dessiato Mele Kalikimaka hau Ľoli hou makahiki

I like RAF Hendon.

Pickman's model and agricola like this.
  10. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

11. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I must make an effort to go there, I've been to the Petrie but not the Grant yet - thanks for the reminder!

12. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

blossie33 likes this.
  13. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I love that place and visit quite often, they have great free exhibitions and good talks too :)

14. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

We have a knack of coming away from their shop with two or three books each time we visit :facepalm:

15. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

:D yes I know what you mean, the Blackwells bookshop is great, v interesting selection of books you might not otherwise see.

16. Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    blossie33 likes this.