Best free museum

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by bi0boy, Mar 13, 2016.

?

What's the best of the big free museums?

1. Science museum

11.8%
  2. Natural history museum

41.2%
  3. British museum

32.4%
  4. Imperial War museum

14.7%
  5. Museum of London

11.8%
  6. Some art gallery, design museum or other such place

35.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

National Army Museum in Chelsea was good when we went there with Workshy a few years back, currently closed for refurbishment.

Spymaster likes this.
  2. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Art galleries leave me cold but medical, design and architecture museums are often more interesting than 'pure' natural history or science for me. Much as I love the dusty geometric models in the Science Museum, the applied sciences are more fun.

3. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

The Hunterian and the Wellcome are both good and the Wellcome has an interesting exhibition "States of Mind" on at the mo.
    My Fave museum has to be Kirkaldy Testing Museum
    It's open rarely and full of machines that test for stretching, compressing, twisting, banging Etc. lots of different things like glass, metals, wood and the like.

Greebo, peterkro, blossie33 and 2 others like this.
  4. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

plus 1

5. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Great isn't it. I went to a gig there once. The machines are so big and heavy they'll mostly probably just remain there for years so it just kinda has to be a museum !

6. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

7. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

Of that list the British Museum but I rather like the Wellcome Collection.

Also as a big fan of art galleries the Tate, Tate Modern and Wallace Collection are all great!

8. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

I went to the V&A last week and saw loads of interesting stuff - early medieval iconography, 15th C tapestries and some William Morris ones, quilts and patchwork, jewellery from celtic to modern and made from everything from diamonds to plastic, renaissance furniture, Kimonos, minature portraits, Indian illustrated story books, early photography, and Tipu's Tiger

The Natural History museum has the best building though.

trashpony likes this.
  9. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I was there on Thursday last week - it's definitely free to get in. You only have to pay for the special exhibitions (currently Lee Miller's photography).

Greebo, marty21 and Spymaster like this.
  10. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

And I can tell you something else, the carrot cake is the best I have ever eaten.
    I love the place.:thumbs:

Sirena likes this.
  11. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here Banned

That's one of the advantages of being a member and attending a members' evening (haven't been to one for ages though tbh): the galleries that are open are usually deserted, even popular spaces like the Egyptian Sculpture Gallery.

marty21 likes this.
  12. trashpony

trashpony Ovaries and tings

The Wallace Collection is very under-rated.

I'm also very fond of the National Portrait Gallery - usually pretty quiet and they've got some fabulous stuff in their permanent collection

I prefer the V&A over the BM (I know, I know) - just because it has such weird and wonderful stuff in it.

Down here, we have the Powell-Cotton Museum which is basically loads of stuffed animals arranged in tableaux which I love (I grew up near another similar museum in Belgium so had no idea quite how weird it was until I took some friends). The foal calls it the dead animal museum. They have the suit Major Powell-Cotton was wearing when he was attacked by a lion. He was saved by the folded copy of Punch in his top pocket :cool:

Reno, Spymaster, TikkiB and 2 others like this.
  13. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

The British Museum is my favourite place in the world.

agricola, Ponyutd and Bungle73 like this.
  14. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

The Wallace have some great pics, few sticks of furniture and superb collection of armour. For a price, they do an OK cuppa. Very handy for Oxford St.

agricola and krtek a houby like this.
  15. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

Worth going to just for The Laughing Cavalier.

[​IMG]

The detail from up close is quite incredible.

tim and trashpony like this.
  16. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Going to the Natural History Museum in the school holidays recently with two small children was both :cool: and :eek: I enjoyed the stuff on pre-homo sapiens, would like to go back there when it is less hectic.

The British Museum was always a favourite way to spend a Saturday, especially if I didn't have the money to trawl around comic shops and book stores, mainly wandering around the 'classics' rooms, looking at 'Roman' helmets and suchlike.

I don't think I've been to the Science Museum since I was a nipper.

I have fond memories of the Rotunda, but its collection got transferred to Firepower!, and it seems that will be closing down this year :(

How about the Horniman? Free, a bit of culture, bit of nature, bit of science...

crossthebreeze likes this.
  17. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Was it Waldemar that looked at it up close and personal recently and yes, the details on many masters up close can be breathtaking.

18. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

crossthebreeze likes this.
  19. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

If visiting the BM, don't forget the prints in room 90. It's usually very quiet up there and they have some great free exhibitions up there. We saw a load of prints on witches, warlords Etc. recently and saw this yesterday which was enchanting Light, time, legacy
    They also had a few tremendous rock prints by David Oxtoby :thumbs:

agricola and TikkiB like this.
  20. mather

mather Well-Known Member

The V&A.

21. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I've been once and thought it was hideously boring...... individually the items are relatively interested, but they're all just bundled together with no rhyme or reason.

22. sim667

This would my choice, alongside the british museum or the the science museum.

23. Bungle73

You're looking at it through 21st century eyes. Everything has been kept exactly as Soane had it in the 19th century. That's part of its charm.

24. sim667

Musty and dusty......

Soane can keep his "charm"

25. Bungle73

I think you went in there with the wrong attitude tbh. It's not like a normal modern museum where you're there purely to look at the exhibits. With the Soane Museum the experience is the whole thing: exploring the labyrinthine building, and being transported back in time.

On another note, it seems they don't have the audio tours for download on their website any more, for some reason.

26. sim667

Im not really sure its up to anyone how I should enjoy a museum, I either enjoy it or I don't. I didn't enjoy the Soane museum, it was just a collection of stuff, and I didn't leave understanding his life or work in any meaningful way. Just not my cup of tea.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  27. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

The British Museum especially at night... museums are completely different places at night..

28. bimble

bimble noisy but small

went to the Grant Museum of Zoology this eve (my first time in there), near warren street. Recommended, especially the Jar Of Moles.

crossthebreeze and hash tag like this.
  29. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I gather there is a rare opening of the kirkaldy testing works this weekend. A superb museum full of odd things that test strength by squashing, squeezing, compressing, stretching etc. Kirkaldy Testing Museum

bimble likes this.
  30. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

Jar of Moles sounds like an attraction at Fun Land on Father Ted