Best free museum

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by bi0boy, Mar 13, 2016.

?

What's the best of the big free museums?

1. Science museum

11.8%
  2. Natural history museum

41.2%
  3. British museum

32.4%
  4. Imperial War museum

14.7%
  5. Museum of London

11.8%
  6. Some art gallery, design museum or other such place

35.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

The Science Museum has some good stuff if you can get past the gaudy plastic displays lecturing you on CO2 emissions. ISTR the best stuff is mostly rocks, which the Natural History museum has more of. The Natural History is obviously in the best building and it has the best chocolate muffins. The British Museum is full of tourists and in any case should be rename the British Colonial Lootings Museum. The London Museum and thought it was good but I can't remember a single thing about it so maybe it was just average. The War Museum I don't I've never managed to get to.

2. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

None of the above. I would like to say Museum of London but the the collection suffers from being in two sites imo.
    If you're talking large scale museums, probably the Victoria and Albert. It's an impressive grand building too.

3. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

Soanes. Small, perfectly formed and better than all the rest unless you have to take small children in which case the stuffed animals at the Horniman.

4. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

The V&A would be my choice if it was on the list.

mather, tim and RubyToogood like this.
  5. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Not sure how a museum of decorative arts can be better than museums of natural history, colonial history or science but whatevs.

6. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

Rather fond of the museum of London myself

7. boohoo

boohoo No.

Have you been?

They have costume, jewellery, ceramic, glass, plaster case pieces of famous sculptures and bits of buildings, instruments, altarpieces, textiles - there is bound to be something of interest to you.

mather, mango5 and TikkiB like this.
  8. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Is it The Museum of London that has a ropey yet fantastic diorama of the fire of London? In a little dark room with benches and tiny flashy lights?

tim likes this.
  9. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

I love The British Museum best. I always see something I've not seen before, and can look at the same stuff endlessly. Sometimes you can walk into a room and it's empty, sometimes madly crowded. Love the roof too :thumbs:

ringo and bimble like this.
  10. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

Yes. I recall this vividly from my childhood, which was some time ago now, and it's still there, unmolested by the digital era.

trashpony, mango5 and 5t3IIa like this.
  11. TikkiB

TikkiB Well-Known Member

Well, quite.

It's not just about pretty stuff. Think of it as a museum about design rather than decorative objects.

They have architecture, photography, paintings, textiles, political cartoons, rare books, massive Asian collection with information about our colonial past, and the relationship between imperial trade and domestic manufacturing. There is plenty to critique but lots of amazing things as well.

It's worth having a look on the website to get an idea of the scope of the collection, and the exhibitions

Closed Exhibition – Disobedient Objects - Victoria and Albert Museum was an exhibition about objects used in political activism.

The Collections - Victoria and Albert Museum

Thimble Queen, mather and trashpony like this.
  12. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Perfect, thank you :thumbs:

13. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Has to be the British Museum IMO. It's one of the great museums in the world.

The undeniable fact that a lot of the stuff in there was basically acquired by shooting the rightful owners and nicking it, and should really be given back, doesn't mean it's not amazing stuff.

14. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Those marbles really bring the room together :cool:

marty21 and RubyToogood like this.
  15. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

The RAF Museum has to be one of the best aviation museums. More beautiful aeroplanes than you can shake a windsock at and it always seems gloriously un-busy.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    ffsear likes this.
  16. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Not sure why you asked on here if you really only wanted people to pick from your limited options. There's a fair argument to be made about the relevance to social history of the V&A collections. It hosts a major public reference library of "fine and decorative arts of many countries and periods"... all sorts of stuff including trade catalogues and photography. The café is also very good, if pricey. Beautiful interior.
    But whatevs :rolleyes:

17. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

We've had this thread before.
    V&A was left off that poll too.

(((((V&A)))))

Guineveretoo and pogofish like this.
  18. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

I've added an option for arty places :p

19. Gromit

British Dental Association Dental Museum, Marylebone

Guineveretoo and dessiato like this.
  20. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Inanimate things are good but things that people like and make are arguably better.

21. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

By the way, the Imperial War Museum hasn't been free for many years.

Adult tickets are close to 20 quid. :(

22. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Spitfires are also one thing, and knowing what a 30,000 year old frozen bloke wore and had for dinner or a 400 year old woman did for shoes is the real frisson stuff.

TikkiB likes this.
  23. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

Give me Spitfires any day.

24. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

You better tell them so they can update their website then:

"Free admission"

hash tag and Spymaster like this.
  25. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

I think Oxford might still be in the South East.

The Pitt Rivers Museum is a glorious, quirky place, full of anthropological oddments.....:cool:

26. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

I like rocks

27. 2hats

2hats

You beat me to it. Though the natural history museum you have to walk through to get to it is a little marvel in itself...

e2a: the BBC still has the audio tours for those two museums and others in that series up on their website.

2e2a: The natural history museum there is full of gems such as the Sunday Stone (previously mentioned) and this little list. For rock nuts every single stone pillar is carved from a different geological specimen from around the British Isles (and labelled).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    trashpony, crossthebreeze and Sirena like this.
  28. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Like what your noggin is full of?

mango5 likes this.
  29. Gromit

The Vault is located in the basement of the Hard Rock Cafe shop in London. It has some incredible pieces of rock memorabilia and is free to visit. It Rocks!

30. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Well yes. I went to the natural history museum yesterday and saw this rock that looked like a dead bird:
    bird.jpg

And this rock that looked like a moss-covered log:
    moss.jpg

crossthebreeze and 5t3IIa like this.