Best Festival Ever (Non-Music Related)

Discussion in 'festivals' started by El Jefe, Jul 18, 2008.

1. El Jefe

El Jefe .. the Rural Juror

[​IMG]

total mayhem, a collision between the London orbital rave scene and what was left of the crusty / convoy brew crew. Lots and lots of acid, a Mad Max vibe, a sense of absolute anarchy (probably in the perjorative sense :D ) I hadn't felt since Stonehenge, crazy bands (including a very misplaced Carter), stories about sheep dying in the water supply, absolute craziness

Your go. V, Reading, Phoenix and probably even Glastonbury don't count :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. El Jefe

Appalled by the 25 quid (?) ticket fee, we paid some geezers a tenner to guide us in through the woods, and arrived mid-mayhem - motorbikes blitzing around, acid everywhere. We pitched a tent, went out, got fucked up and then collapsed in our sleeping bags.

When we woke up, it was really dark - we expected a storm. When we got out, turns out we were INSIDE a marquee. We'd pitched on the Krishna plot, and being dead polite, they'd put their marquee up OVER us and were waiting for us to wake up so they could kick us out :D :D

Kaka Tim likes this.
  3. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

Elephant Fayre for me.

Went twice. Can't remember fuck all about either of them apart from they felt like the end of the world. And The Fall were on. And possibly Killing Joke. I was 14 at my first one. Treworgey was the same. Didn't go to Castle Morton (is that what it was called?) but that looked to be in a similar vein.

Thank God for the Criminal Justice Bill, eh? We'd still be having things like this all Summer if it wasn't for that.

*sighs*

4. El Jefe

I had to work for Castlemorton but my flatmates went. Cos it was the days before mobiles, I was part of some elaborate 'phone tree' where I'd get a call about where they were, then call lots of others and pass it on :)

5. Voley

Elephant Fayre was 15 quid for the weekend or a fiver a day. Although payment was rather 'optional'.

I don't remember Misty In Roots being on at Treworgey. But that's not surprising.

6. El Jefe

yeh, i saw them, on Wango's stage I think. Also the Poison Girls.

Remember the Trojans on Sunday? Gaz Mayall getting lost in the crowd with a radio mic and the band running out of ways of jamming on the same bassline :D

7. Bakunin

Bakunin I am Noodle's bitch.

Big fan of the Big Green Gathering myself.

It does have music, but it's not technically a music festival as it's really a Green lifestyle festy.

DJWrongspeed likes this.
  8. Voley

It was easy finding our tent at Treworgey.

We were next to a big cardboard sign that said 'FUCKING BEER' !

We never worked out if they were actually selling any or were just, you know, making a statement. :D

9. Voley

Nope! :D

10. El Jefe

I applaud what they're about but only ever hear horror stories about BGG, even from people who really are into it. :(

11. El Jefe

Figures.. :D

Rumour was, it was a farmer that was selling up and hated his neighbours and wanted to fuck them off so had a big festy. AND knew that when he sold the farm, there'd be travellers still there, and they'd have sitting tenant status :)

I hope that's true :D

12. Voley

I heard that rumour, too.

He'd probably seen the biblical devastation wrought on pretty St Germans by the Elephant Fayre.

I'm trying to work out how old I was then. About 19 or so, I reckon.

13. El Jefe

21 or so here i guess

was awesome though :)

Last time I saw the 'social bus' too

14. El Jefe

[​IMG]

The social bus :)

15. Voley

Ahhh, a pair of old duffers reminiscing over former festival glories. Fucking funny when you think about it. :D

In the future there'll be old codgers in nursing homes boring everyone to death with their tales of the fabled 'Glastonbury'.

' ... you didn't need to supply a DNA sample for a ticket and they didn't even retina-scan you at the gate! And, once upon a time, so they say, you could even take your own beer into the arena! '

16. Voley

Don't recall the social bus but I do remember a converted ambulance with the 'Ambulance' bit changed to 'SUBVERT'.

God, we were dangerous in them days. :D

17. El Jefe

We are old cunts aren't we? We're the people we avoided at parties :(

Suicide pact? It's the only dignified way out :D

18. Voley

Agreed. You go first.

19. El Jefe

Ok, done it. Mere seconds left, you'll have to take my word for it.

Your go....

... I'm fading......

20. Voley

Goodbye cruel world. :(

21. isitme

isitme Banned Banned

I agree about Big Green Gathering

it was great fun the two times I went, attending a lecture with a hangover by some guy who claimed that he was tuned into a universal state of conciousness and did not exist on this planet made me the man i am today

22. El Jefe

I heard about a guy pounding a stick into the ground there, claiming he was giving the Earth much needed acupuncture. The ARROGANCE of that, from a 'green' made me livid

23. isitme

isitme Banned Banned

lol

a formative moment?

24. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

I'll be back latter to laugh at NVP and El Jeffe's hippy confessional, but now I have to go to bed.

25. Larje

Larje Well-Known Member

Castlemorton was the one that stood out for me. As a 16 year old in Cheltenham just discovering how bloody exciting taking drugs and dancing all night could be, it was manna from heaven.

My only previous festival experience was Reading in 91 (to see Carter and pretty much ignore everyone else on the bill), Glasto was to follow later in 92 but Castlemorton opened my eyes to just how exciting a chaotic music festival could be.

We arrived on the Saturday morning (in on the big secret due to Midlands Today's handy disapproving coverage in their 10.30pm bulletin the night before) and even at that civilised hour it felt like there were thousands upon thousands of people coming to the common for the first time. I guess all the convoy/traveller folk had arrived on the Friday and all the ravers joined up once the news got out.

36 hours (school on Monday morning obv) of very dirty techno, clean drugs, swimming in a chalk pit at about 10am Sunday (my mum was not happy that I missed Mass for this)and wishing I could grow dreads overnight later and it was time to head back to genteel 'Nam band gabble incessantly to my disintersted classmates who life-changinly amazing my weekend was. 16 years later my life wasn't really changed by that weekend (unless sarcasm and cynicism was being preached by Spiral Tribe, DIY et al) but I do still love seeing a good live-in vehicle.

A couple of weeks, looking for a rave after joining a convoy somewhere outside Stroud, we ended up at a little travellers do in the Forest of Dean. Possibly called the Forest Fayre? (I've looked on t'internet for evidence to back this up and failed) All I remember is how tame it was compared to Castlemorton (this was proper travelling people with families, yoghurt weaving and everything) and sitting at a makeshift cafe outside an ambulance, listening to Bob Marley and complaining that it was Legend FFS, what kind of hippy only listened to the greatest hits. What a tosser I was.

26. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

Mr moose went to Castle Morton in his work's truck, without his employer's knowledge. It was on telly with people dancing on it :D

My favourite festival was Deepy Vale in 1978. Funded by Manc dealers putting an extra quid on their deals and an audience whip-round, it was an absolute shambles, but in a very good way. The Ruts, Hillage, Spizz Energi, Antony H Wilson, and even Mick fucking Hucknall appeared at some point, but I only remember the Fall and Durutti Column, and hundreds of hippies and punks stumbling about.

27. looneytune

looneytune Do Fuck Off

According to my own party standards, this sounds like the Best Party Ever, but in a way, I am so glad I wasn't there. The first party where I (an ex crusty punk scenester) danced all night on E was an anonymous hackney warehouse in 1998. Because parties like that weren't considered as cutting edge by then, it wasn't something that got remembered and reminisced about (like Castlemorton) for years and years afterwards. It lives on in my imagination (and maybe the imaginations of a couple of thousand other people) which is probably the best place it could be. N'est pas?

28. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

I officially sulk at anyone who made it to Treworgey ... :( :hmm: .... legendarily drugcrazed and insane, from EVERY account I've heard.

TOP of my lists of festivals I would get to that I never made, if I could rewind. Over and above the Glastonburies I missed in that period even, and that's saying a lot ...

ANYWAY, classics of my time ...

Stonehenge 1984 which was my first introduction to Traveller/full-on alternative festie scene culture, and Glastonbury 1984 the week later -- very small compared to now and relatively genteel by comparison to Stonehenge, but still excellent in a totally different way. Various Deptford Urban Free Festivals and the Hackney Homeless Peoples' Festival (early nineties). Glastonburies 1994 and 1995 were THE best for me for weather and fun, trying not to think of all the other scorching ones I'd missed in the 1985 (OK 1986!) to 1993 period :mad: at self. Shedloads of Strawberry Fairs from late eighties onwards. Exodus 2000 was a REAL standout too. Travellers Field at Glastonbury 2000 ......

A lot of them merge into one another .... if I had back all the money I'd spend on beer, cider and weed over the last 24 years I'd .....buy myself a bus! :D

No regrets really, apart from the ones I missed ....

29. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

NVP : lineup or vibe? ;) :D

30. bluestreak

bluestreak HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica

If you were born in 1978 you weren't old enough to have been at castlemorton, or to have been at reading for nirvana.

instead my generation got britpop and then nu-metal.

whoop de fucking doo.