Bermondsey's new Many Hands 'creative workspace hive & cultural hub' blows buzzwords a-plenty

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Feb 13, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Ready to complement the original Biscuit Factory aesthetic, this multi-faceted cultural space is ready to welcome an agenda-setting community. Whatever that means,

[​IMG]
    The Biscuit Factory, Block F,
    100 Clements Road, London, SE16 4DGv

2. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

3. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

It's were i grew up and went to school. The locals on the surrounding estates are concerned at whats going to happen to them .It has been creeping up on them for a while with the arty set and hipsters moving into the latest 'cool' area. There is lots of industrial space and train arches to be gentrified around there. Basically another area primed to be cleansed of working class people and social housing whilst the developers and nu businesses rub there hands.

ska invita likes this.
  4. Cold Harbour

Cold Harbour Well-Known Member

Yes. I love Bermondsey, my granny worked at Peek Freens aka 'The Biscuit Factory'. Nice trendy bullshit name for posh flats for rich folks.

tim likes this.
  5. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

really expensive though, the new flats etc. not to disagree but i think its different from young artist types round there - more straight business types wanting closeness to the city isnt it? Im thinking Bermondsey Spa kind of thing. My impression anyhow

6. sealion

My mum and sister did too! I think most Bermondsey born people have a relative/ friend that worked at Freans at some time or other.

Cold Harbour and moon like this.
  7. sealion

There are lots of arty types moving in around Bermo( but not in the new builds) just as they did in Brixton and peckham etc. It has an abundance of industrial space and arches that the artists rent at a reasonable rate. Then the innovators/ developers come along and eventually shift them out to the next up and coming area. Nearer the city there are more suits/ business types (see Bermondsey street) settling as it's in zone one. Clements road is zone 2 although Boris and his chums did try to move the boundries so to make the whole area zone 1, so they can sell properties/land at a higher rate to oversea's buyers. It's already been called new bermondsey ffs :mad:

Changing Bermondsey Station to Zone 1-2
    New Bermondsey: Millwall rebranded and set for change as Boris Johnson fast tracks new homes | Homes and Property

Cold Harbour, moon and ska invita like this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If what happened to Brixton is anything to go by, you don't see much arty goings-on from the incomers. It seems to be more about endless consumption of bland, on-trend foodie joints and bars.

9. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

I work just off Bermondsey st. It’s far far better than the current form of Brixton. It’s still an interesting combination of council estates and artists. The vomiting cityboys haven’t yet discovered it.

10. sealion

That is happening around Bermo too. Most of the arches around London bridge heading towards New cross are now novelty food and booze outlets. A walk around the area on a Satuday or Sunday morning will greet you with vomit and puddles off piss.

11. sealion

It's very pricey around there for food and drink now. There are all sorts of planning applications for conversions of studios/ factories into penthouses.

12. Libertad

Libertad Man of Steal

Many Hands. Wankers.

editor likes this.
  13. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

The pub opposite me is £3.60 a pint. But I get your point. Gentrification is inevitable but having lived in Brixton for years while it was going on and now working here the process is happening in a far better way.

sealion likes this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Enjoy it while you can. About 10 years ago Brixton was a bit like that - and then the tidal wave of free-spending, self-entitled twats tsunami'd in while the locals and long term small businesses starting disappearing.

sealion likes this.
  15. sealion

The woolpack or Yorkshire grey ? ( if they havn't had a name change)
    Far better way ? What's different from what happened in Brixton ? Around the corner in snowfields council tenants are being shifted out (market rents being introduced for pre war coucil housing) this will happen to Whites grounds estate too and brand name chains are moving to Bermondsay street. Nimbys moaning and trying to get a homeless peoples day centre closed down, Penthouses are flying up and blocking daylight from council flats that have stood there for a centuary. It all sounds too familiar to me.

editor likes this.
  16. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

This seems like an office block that doesn't even have the benefits to the local area that normal ones would. Generally at least people will go out and buy things in shops near where they work, go to local venues after work, that sort of thing, at least a bit, but this lot seem to want to keep all that in-house as much as possible as "a self-sufficient work and leisure environment". They can even get their bloody washing done there.

editor and sealion like this.
  17. sealion

They won't want to be near the chirpy working class cockney's that use the local shops, cafes and pubs. Too many estates for them to feel comfortable ( for the moment anyway).

18. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Go from your gated housing community to your gated work/leisure community and back again. Maybe they could lay on some special private buses, too, like Google do.

editor and sealion like this.
  19. sealion

It is in the plans for the 'new Bermondsy' and Surrey quays 'Quarter' ( vom) for a new overground station between Queens road and Surrey quays. Walkways from the gated community straight onto the platfrom. All the council housing and Millwall fc will be flattened anyway :mad:, so fuck knows what and who they will be trying to avoid.

20. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Space/time supply indicators near to zero

ceative workspace hive and cultural hub = piss artistry and collateral impact until 3 AM

/cynic

sealion likes this.
  21. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

Where are all the social housing tenants being relocated to in general?

London has been socially cleansed ever since the London riots of 2011?
    I think it was around this time that the government stated most of the rioters lived in council housing.
    Then they brought in redevelopment schemes for what they called 'Low Density' 1960s estates and Theresa May said the living in (central) London should be a privilege not a right..

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  22. sealion

All over the country and often to towns/cities were the council can't house people on there own waiting lists. I've read reports of Londoners been shifted to places like Stoke and Middlesboro.
    And before that but the riots gave the government and local councils a good excuse to accelerate this shit. A while back, Tory run Wandsworth council tried a stunt where they would only house you if you were employed. Southwark shifted most from the Heygate estate down to Sidcup and Dartford. These people still have to come to London to work and service the city which means a massive hike in travel costs each day and no doubt less time with their family. They (Tory and Labour) are both guilty of social cleansing and use the old 'government cuts' spiel .Yet they can afford to chuck millions doing up parliament and building new town halls, whilst selling land at mates rates to developers.

Cold Harbour and moon like this.
  23. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

The cultural and demographic churn has been going on as long as the city has been around. Islington, Notting hill, Clapham, Camden, Fulham,etc... Were all once poor areas.

moon likes this.
  24. moon

I've also read that London councils regularly send 'problem' (not my words) tenants to coastal towns i.e. Hastings and Margate.
    What is the deal here? Do they buy up housing in coastal areas or are there agreements between borough councils etc??

25. sealion

They do and then it's someone elses problem. It's noticable here in Brighton now with gang members formerly from London fighting a turf war over heroin and crack distribution.
    I'm not entirely sure but i suspect money changes hands between the councils involved.

26. moon

Ummm so why exactly is this social cleansing of London actually happening again?