1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bermondsey

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Relahni, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Relahni

Relahni New Member

What do people know, think about Bermondsey?

Just curious like.

2. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Moved there in May after spending most my life in Surrey then North London.

I really like the place a lot.....

Plenty of great walks to do and close enough to the river
    Walking distance to London Bridge (& Borough Market)
    Good mix of pubs to suit your mood
    24 hour off licences :)
    Good mix of cultures and food from all over the world close to hand
    Couple of supermarkets just down the road

Bit of a yuppie flat OR council estate thing going on but never really bothers me.

If you wanted more info on the history then have a Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermondsey

3. Tank Girl

Tank Girl ........

lol relahni - why do you want to know what everyone else thinks of bermo, when you know what it's like? :D

you're not in deepest darkest bermo where you are badgers, it's weird in deepest darkest bermo ;)

4. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllwaaallllllllll!

That's all I know about Bermondsey.

Let 'em come, let 'em come, let 'em come...

5. waverunner

waverunner Be nice or I'll bite

The only bit I know is the bit at the end of Jamaica Road near Surrey Quays. It's alright, sort of place I could live happily but then that's not for everyone. Some of the areas aren't the safest but it's mostly got what you need and as long as you're aware that you're not in the safest part of London you'll be alright. Plus you got Surrey Quays shopping centre nearby, which is lovely just for a walk and to sit by the river and look at the ducks :) And its got alright transport links.

6. Tank Girl

Tank Girl ........

they throw cats out of windows and film it on camera phones in bermondsey :mad:

7. zenie

zenie >^^<

Yes!!

I really like Bermondsey nice and central and a bit of an old skool London feel about the place.

I'd live there! :)

8. Tank Girl

Tank Girl ........

I wouldn't rule out living there - it feels like it's normal to me, dunno what I really mean by that though :rolleyes: :D

southwark park is lovely and has a wicked bandstand, I've enjoyed many an afternoon in that park :cool:

I like the proximity to the river, but without it being too poncy - the pub that we went to for Rollem's birthday was a lovely place to spend an evening.

9. pk

pk drink flounce rinse repeat

I quite like Bermondsey, but I prefer Rotherhithe.

Far less chavs and racist pubs.

:)

10. twister

twister may be some time

innit, stepped into a pub in south bermondsey the other night, had a *ahem* interesting selection of posters/cut out pictures on the wall..

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

11. tommers

tommers Yourdisco needs you

I work in bermondsey. it's alright, rough and ready... we've had a lot of broken windows, couple of break ins... on one site our shed was broken into maybe once a week.

in fact we had to build more fences, install CCTV etc etc on that site cos a couple of tenants have been attacked... a couple of flats broken into... one tenant stabbed by people trying to break into his flat...

actually... take "rough and ready" and substitute "well dodgy."

12. golightly

golightly I've been gentrified. - :(

It's gone down hill in the last six months. :(

13. Relahni

Relahni New Member

why?

14. Cowley

Cowley Well-Known Member

I thought parts of Bermondsey were quite posh these days? no? :eek:

15. zenie

zenie >^^<

True - I wouldn't wanna live in Bermondsey if I wasnt white - it does have a slight atmoshere about it sometimes and only sometimes.

Not all bad though. :)

16. Xanadu

Xanadu Masterful but awkward

I'm pretty near there but I'm not sure that where I live counts as Bermondsey.

Our flat got broken into last week, and an expensive camera got nicked before they ran off. I'm not a fan of the area around South Bermondsey. Feels very very dodgy. Can hear Millwall football ground on Tuesday nights, and the subsequent police sirens too. Lots of teenagers being loud and irritating, and we get kids smoking weed on doorstep all the time (though they are quite nice kids).

On the other hand, it's quite peaceful most of the time, there's a couple of nice pubs around and it's pretty close to central. I quite like the park around there, including this spot: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&h...1116,-0.040399&spn=0.001559,0.005407&t=k&om=1
    which has a pretty nice view of the area.

17. pk

pk drink flounce rinse repeat

That's Stave Hill... and it's in Rotherhithe!!! Not Bermondsey!!!!

*contemplates donning knuckleduster*

18. Relahni

Relahni New Member

I've seen more racism in Brixton - towards white people - than I have in Bermondsey towards black people.

But I take your point.

19. guinnessdrinker

guinnessdrinker political refugee R.I.P.

you weren't there during the battle of bermondsey in 1990. you should have seen the wild white skinhead faces pressing their snout against the windows of that pub near south bermondsey station (the red lion). the police could hardly hold them inside. people were shouting their hatred from their own balconies. but I believe things are changing...slowly.

20. guinnessdrinker

I know southwark park well. it is a nice park but a bit sad looking sometimes. it takes time toget used to. lovely lake, too.

21. marmite342

marmite342 New Member

22. guinnessdrinker

central southwark? that's good enough for me.

23. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

You moved out about 6 months ago and I moved in :mad:

24. Xanadu

Xanadu Masterful but awkward

central london! :rolleyes:

had my SPAG been a bit better, I would've capitalised the "central":

On the other hand, it's quite peaceful most of the time, there's a couple of nice pubs around and it's pretty close to Central. I quite like the park around there, including this spot: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&h...1116,-0.040399&spn=0.001559,0.005407&t=k&om=1
    which has a pretty nice view of the area.

Anyways, I live in Rotherhithe, so I'll fuck off now... :oops:

25. Monkeynuts

Monkeynuts Hello sailor

Today's lesson

"Central" is an adjective. Try coupling it with a noun, or simply say "the centre".

26. golightly

golightly I've been gentrified. - :(

Oh, I'm sure it's purely coincidental.

27. flickerx

flickerx Well-Known Member

Can't believe this thread is ten years old now... how time changes a place. Even South Bermondsey is pretty peaceful these days. Relatively speaking. The Blue has seen better days though. Co Op is now a pound shop, banks disappeared, more boarded up shops along Southwark Park Road. The Boatman up on Jamaica Road is closing down. The old biscuit factory is going to be turned into housing.

28. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

That's the way the cookie crumbles

29. flickerx

flickerx Well-Known Member

Being turned into Grosvenor market rental only housing... I'm not happy with that.