Belgium vs England - (3rd/4th) - 15:00 - 14/7/18

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018' started by planetgeli, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Rebelda

Rebelda Nearly as bad as Badgers

Oh god don't do that :D

FabricLiveBaby! and JimW like this.
  2. Voley

Voley Sign On You Crazy Diamond

SpookyFrank likes this.
  3. xenon

xenon A move in any direction

Better second half. Nice to see some changes, Loftus-Cheek had a good game. Belgium just had that much more quality, esp Hazard and De Bruyne. Ah well, it was fun whilst it lasted...

4. Rebelda

Fuck off Gary.

sealion likes this.
  5. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Terf on turf 4 the win!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    JimW and Rebelda like this.
  6. FabricLiveBaby!

FabricLiveBaby! Live Baby Fabric!

7. Rebelda

So, Wembley in 2 years :thumbs:

8. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

My team drew 6-6 in a pre-season friendly against a NL South side. Possibly two sides trying "none at the back"?

9. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree Back to the mug-shot

Every time I hear 'Hazard' pronounced with the stress on the 'ard' (hazárd) I'm reminded of Trevor and Simon the barbers in 'Going Live', when a rat in the hair cupboard was called a 'health hazard' repeatedly, with the stress on the 'ard'.

I expect it's only me.

Rosemary Jest likes this.
  10. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

You realise he is taking the piss Rebelda ? And also commenting on the absolute meaningless nature of this game?

editor likes this.
  11. Rebelda

I have a duty to my avatar ;)

Even the joke has run its course :(

12. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

When france scored early, sat back and then attacked on the break (as they have done all through a tournamnet they may well win) Courtois and Hazard moaned like fuck (Courtois even called it 'anti-football' before Griezmann hit back by asking did he think he played Barcelona type football for Conte's Chelsea?).

Wonder what they will call it today?

So England beat two poor teams, two decent ones... and lost every time they played a team with genuine quality (England Reserves also lost to Belgium reserves)

On the bright side...

Looking for some decent sport to watch (I flipped between a pretty one-sided Al-Ireland Hurling quarter final between Clare and Wexford and this dross) I chanced upon a brilliant finish to the (Red-hot favourites) Kerry V (unfancied, even though they beat Dublin well last week) Kildare u-20 Football semi-final on TG4 (the Irish language broadcaster). Kildare hung on for victory by a point and will face Mayo in the Final.

13. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Self-cleaning oven, the whole bit.

A genuinely great team will still get goals past an opposition that's parked the bus. If you're going to piss and moan every time a team plays defensively then perhaps football is not the game for you.

sealion and S☼I like this.
  14. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Is that directed at me or Hazard & Courtois SpookyFrank ?

Cos I am fully cognisant of the 'beauty' of this french team's style and they were the ones crying about it.

Until they adopted it themselves today of course. Mind you, they were not playing against real quality opposition and were never put under any real pressure today.

15. SpookyFrank

Directed at the Belgians.

16. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

England are shit. Practiced at set pieces, can't score (or defend) in open play. Look firward to these hyped ''heroes' going out early in 2020/22

fakeplasticgirl and 1927 like this.
  17. editor

editor hiraethified

They got lucky with the group draw and proved - twice - that they simply haven't got enough skill to defeat a decent team. That said, they made the most of their luck and finishing 'fourth' in the World Cup is not something to be sniffed at. And I still like Southgate.

18. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

What a disater for Belgian football! Courtois and Hazard announce their immediate retirements after realising (Courtesy of SpookyFrank) that 'football is not the game' for them.

Shame Southgate never gave you a call before today's arse slapping.

19. SpookyFrank

Ok mate calm the fuck down.

20. pocketscience

pocketscience Well-Known Member

Or seen another way: beat everyone they came up against but lost to 2 of the top 3 teams in the world.

21. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop...Hammertime

Innit, was there even a right answer there? :D

SpookyFrank likes this.
  22. Wilf

Wilf Dances like a Christian

Mean spirited post: assuming he gets it, Kane's golden boot will be the softest ever. 3 (?) very well taken pens, 1 deflection. Bit gripey I know, but he's probably been England's least effective player over his last 3 games. Suppose Lineker had a few pens when he got it... must check... maybe others did too... So, what the fuck am I on about.

23. pocketscience

Bloody hell, you're still about. You've had quiet tournement by your standards.
    It started so promisingt with the obligatory patronising lecture about the English national anthem in the opening game, then telling us how we'd "never learn" after the Tunesia equaliser, gloating prediction of a 1-1 draw with Panama.
    Then you just seemed to fade away for a while.
    But right on queue you reappeared, giving it the large after columbia scored their last minute equaliser. That didn't work out either did it :p
    I was looking forward to you comments in the ABE thread too. Your absence (while ddraig took all the flak) was duely noted. ;)

sealion likes this.
  24. pocketscience

Don't you think Colombia are a decent team? Sweden?

25. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Surely thats the case every time, when did losing semi finalists not have reasonable hopes of reaching the final?

26. 1927

Golden boots which score penalties and deflected goals rather than well created goals. Not so much gold as weathered copper.

kazza007 likes this.
  27. 1927

To be fair Belgium have been a very good team over the last 5 years. Any team who could manage 2 wins against them in that time would have to be pretty special.

28. 1927

Belgium are 3rd, Croatia are 20th!

29. editor

editor hiraethified

I don't either team were particularly good. Did you?

sealion likes this.
  30. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

I think it's the manager being limited tactically thats hindered them. The players can perform in the prem and champions league. Southgate had no answer when Croatia took hold of the game, apart from a bit of hoof. Team spirit and being nice will only get you so far.