Being a mature student in halls...

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by stuff_it, Mar 16, 2012.

1. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

Come to the realisation that the best way for me to have somewhere next year to keep my stuff and study is to go in halls, which are all on the main campus where I'm going.

Then I can carry on living in the truck weekends, and more important I don't need to save up a massive deposit on a flat. Considering that I'm currently living in a truck the accommodation all looked nothing short of luxurious (hot running water, internet, flush toilets...) but am I letting myself in for a hard year living with a load of young people?

2. maldwyn

maldwyn What?

I was in a flatlet type space (six ensuit rooms and a shared kitchen) slamming fire doors is what I remember most, other than that it was ok.

3. stuff_it

Oh that's ok, I'll just turn up the jungle and gabber and that and I'll never hear it. :D

:hmm:

Actually I may end up being their nightmare neighbour. I wonder if young kids have heard speedcore...:hmm:

zog, RaverDrew and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  4. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I don't think they will no quite what hit them :D

ice-is-forming likes this.
  5. I think the policy is for halls to house the old timers together afaik.

6. dessiato

dessiato Mele Kalikimaka hauʻoli hou makahiki

You might end up meeting the perfect partner. I met Mrs D when she was a young student and I was a mature student.

You might end up being the cool older person to whom they come for proper non-judgemental advice. A sort of cool older aunt figure.

You could have the time of your life. And you still have the truck to retire to when you need to escape.

7. stuff_it

I've already got one. :(

More like the aunt you don't want hanging round with your kids cause they are a bad influence.

Yeah, it's not like I'm planning to be there all the time.

8. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

We had a well hot 'mature' student in halls. All the boys loved her

9. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

single beds suck though. worst thing about halls imo :D

10. dessiato

dessiato Mele Kalikimaka hauʻoli hou makahiki

Ever thought of having a spare, just in case? ;)

11. maldwyn

maldwyn What?

I loved my little room (and the single bed) - it had a sea view and all the desk space you could wish for. I spent a happy year there.

Here's a pic from my 1st night before I moved my stuff in (((my old room))) :D

stuff_it likes this.
  12. stuff_it

Yes but some 20 year old wouldn't know what to do with it.

dessiato likes this.
  13. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Go for it - more advantages than you can shake a stick at........

14. Lo Siento.

Lo Siento. Second As Farce

have you thought about being a hall tutor?

15. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

halls proper are shit (the food is universally terrible and there's not much in the way of communal spaces where you can hang out and chat), but if there's the option of a self-catering shared flat type one i reckon you'd be ok.

16. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

It will be worth investigating to see if they have some places reserved for mature students.

17. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

Halls are bearable, providing you take on board the following:

Any cutlery / crockery / pans / pots etc should be cheap as shite stuff you don't care if it gets broken or lost. Charity shops are gold for this. I got a 16 piece crockery set for 1.99 before I moved into halls (4 bowls, 4 small plates, 4 large plates, white ceramic so very inoffensive).

Cleaning will be a nightmare. Just cave in, the potential disgust you face trying to wash in a filthy bathroom because nobody else can be arsed is not worth it.

Keep your food in your bedroom. Accept that anything you have in the communal area will get nabbed, even if not intentionally. We had a general rule that milk, orange juice and these yoghurty drink things that our halls used to sell were fair game, everything else was hands off. Everything else tended to get used anyway, so what you can store in your room, do so.

Buy yourself a massive thing of loo roll and then keep the loo roll in your room, and use your stash. This sounds utterly ridiculous, but some people are incredibly lazy about topping up these sorts of essentials. While I was willing to get over myself to clean, I was not willing to get over myself so other people could save money. And this is the sort of thing that if you do it once, they just let you keep on doing it and if you're not exactly rolling in it, these small things add up.

Hopefully, you won't end up living with massive cunts, like I did. Most other people seemed to end up with decent flat mates, I just got the short end of the stick unfortunately.

18. UnderAnOpenSky

I never did any of these things and had an amazing time. That said there were only six of us, had ace parties, concinded with when mushrooms where being sold everywher, often cooked food tother and ended up moving into 15 bedroom house otherwise known as "the mansion" for the next two years. I accept my experience may not have been typical. A couple of us where a few years older then the most, but not the sort of age stuff it is talking about. Oh to do it again.

(((my degree)))

wayward bob likes this.
  19. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Well-Known Member

a 15 bedroom house!

20. UnderAnOpenSky

It got messy :)

21. Miss Caphat

Miss Caphat I want it that way

the mansion sounds excellent!
    I had so many good times like that in my earlier college years, and afterwards, living in shared houses with friends.
    It greatly fucked up studies though, and is the main reason I'm just getting my degree now, at 35.
    Many of my friends managed to do well in school and have all kids of other things going on like internships, jobs, hobbies, relationships, etc.
    I still to this day have no idea how they managed. I still have to basically hermit myself in order to get anything done. :(

22. stuff_it

It's all self catering unless you are desperate to pay extra to not have to cook.

I've already done all that to epic proportions when I was younger, though not at uni as I've never been.

I've applied anyway, basically just said 'I'm poor, please give me the cheapest ones'.

23. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

If you do can we please have an urban party in your halls.

Halls of residence parties were :cool:

24. stuff_it

They've given me an offer for the cheap ones, just have to get £200 together in a week to accept it, on the dole.... :facepalm:

They don't make it sodding easy, the reason I want halls is because I'm homeless! :mad:

Going to be eating a lot of chick pea curry and dahl...good job it's single rooms! :D

25. Captain Hurrah

Captain Hurrah STALINIST Banned

Know any other oldies going to the same place as you?

26. stuff_it

No, but I wasn't the only mature student on the open day. *shrug*

27. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Well if you hold parties there, but charge everyone a few bob entry you'll have a decent income.

28. stuff_it

Really really don't tempt me. I don't think I'd get away with sneaking the rig in, and there wouldn't be much of a dancefloor....:hmm: get the rig in...

*adds get the rig in the student union bar to list of evil plans*

sim667 likes this.
  29. Captain Hurrah

Captain Hurrah STALINIST Banned

I'll be living at home when studying, which could mean moving with Mrs Hurrah somewhere else than where I am now.

It could be fun for you, or really really fucking annoying. I don't think halls would be best for me as an old fart.

30. stuff_it

We thought about getting a yard round here and me commuting but it's going to be lots cheaper for me to be in halls as the bills for living in the truck beyond rent are extremely low - there just isn't room for all my stuff and for me to study here.

The costs of halls are similar to the costs of a season ticket but there won't be the added bills of living in a house.