Beginners guide to moral philosophy

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by Shirl, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

Hello, this is the first time I've posted in this particular forum.
    I want to learn about moral philosophy. I've been on Amazon looking for a beginners guide but there are more than one. Can anyone recommend which is best?

2. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

Is there any reason you’re interested? Or is it just a general overview you’re wanting?

Ethics, Killing and War by Richard Norman uses a particular angle (can war ever be justified?) to look at the contribution of moral philosophy to practical concerns in current affairs. It’s actually a wider introduction than its ostensible focus might seem, and whether or not you agree with his conclusions (and when I read it, I broadly did), it offers a useful introduction to the subject.

A more conventional introduction would be Gensler’s Ethics, a Contemporary Introduction.

3. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

Thanks Danny
    I'm finding that I can't even explain why I'm interested.
    I've been listening to The Ferryhill Philosophers dramas on Radio 4.
    I want to know and understand more about moral philosophy.
    If I have to read about killing and war I will but I'd rather not.

danny la rouge likes this.
  4. danny la rouge

Do you listen to podcasts? Try dipping into the Partially Examined Life. It can be a useful jumping off point. (It can also at times be superficial and irritating, but I can forgive them that for the number of useful discussions they do have).

Shirl likes this.
  5. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

Thanks, I've never listened to podcasts but I can start :) I still want a book though :)

6. danny la rouge

Try the Gensler, then, if the Norman isn’t calling to you. There’ll be a newer edition than the one I have.

Here’s the podcast I referred to. Dip in and out of what takes your fancy. The Partially Examined Life Philosophy Podcast

If you need advice on how to get the best out of podcasts technically speaking, I’m sure somebody better qualified than me can advise.

Shirl likes this.
  7. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Watch “The Good Place” :D

Schmetterling, CNT36 and 5t3IIa like this.
  8. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

What's that?

9. beesonthewhatnow

10. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

11. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

Unfortunately, I don't like fantasy or American shows ( Columbo excepted) :(

5t3IIa likes this.
  12. beesonthewhatnow

It’s not fantasy as in dragons and wizards etc. It’s based on the idea that someone has ended up in heaven (“the good place”) by mistake. It’s very funny, and explores various moral and philosophical ideas :)

krtek a houby and Shirl like this.
  13. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

That sounds good thanks. I have a habit of dismissing things based on my (often wrong) assumptions. I'll watch it.

5t3IIa and beesonthewhatnow like this.
  14. FabricLiveBaby!

FabricLiveBaby! /wɜːst tɜːf ɒn ɜːθ/

This series of lectures from Harvard University is very good:

Goes into lots of detail, is thought provoking, and provides an easy to swallow first dip into the philosophy of ethics.

Highly recommended. I learnt a lot from it.

The link to the entire playlist is here :

15. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

Rutita1 likes this.
  16. Duncan2

Duncan2 Well-Known Member

Inventing Right and Wrong by Mackie covers a lot of ground I think you might like it.

meurig and Shirl like this.
  17. FabricLiveBaby!

FabricLiveBaby! /wɜːst tɜːf ɒn ɜːθ/

Aww! You're totally welcome! Let me know what you think of it when you're done :)

Shirl likes this.
  18. meurig

meurig Agent Raconteur

Seconded. It was my introductory text at undergrad.

Shirl and Duncan2 like this.
  19. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

As this was only £6.75 I've just bought it.

The Genster will have to wait until Friday.
    It looks like I have plenty to read, listen to and watch for now
    Thanks for all the recommendations folks :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    meurig, danny la rouge and Rutita1 like this.
  20. danny la rouge

Don’t get the Gensler as well as the Mackie (not yet anyway). The Mackie is older, but it’s a classic, it covers plenty of ground, and you may want to supplement it with a few readings from primary sources rather than another introductory text.

21. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Kenan Malik's 'The Quest for a Moral Compass' is quite wide-ranging and worth a read IMO.

Shirl likes this.
  22. Idris2002

Idris2002 Well, there goes the frying pan theory.

Shirl likes this.
  23. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

Ok thanks. I ordered the J l Mackie around 7pm last and it arrived before lunch today :)

24. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

If you enjoy podcasts the ‘revealing applied ethics’ course is really useful. The first episode gives an overview of all the different ethical theories and then the subsequent episodes consider them in relation to applied ethical questions like abortion, capital punishment, the environment etc.

Other podcasts worth checking out are ethics bites, bioethics bites, practical ethics bites and philosophy 247.

25. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

I've still never listened to a podcast :oops: but I'm planning to and I'll add these to my growing list. Thank you :)

Jeff Robinson likes this.
  26. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

I listen to them when doing house work or walking to work - it makes mundane tasks fun or at least more tolerable!

Shirl likes this.
  27. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Taking your post from A rather different angle; Force Majure is a great film for raising questions and looking at things from different angles. It will certainly fuel your interest.
    Force Majeure | Issue 108 | Philosophy Now