Beers available in Brixton - craft, ale, keg, cask, bottled, canned and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by CH1, Jun 6, 2016.

1. discobastard

discobastard ____*\(oo)/*____

Greene King - Wikipedia

2. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

discobastard likes this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I drink all sorts of stuff, most of which these days I luckily get given for free as part of my band/DJ rider. So I'm not fussed, but I do enjoy craft beer and also shit lager sometimes. So now you know. Whoopeedo.

But just to make sure you don't look like the kind of sad twat that has to resort to shit ad hominem arguments when they find themselves losing ground, please explain why my personal choice of beverage has any relevance whatsoever to a discussion about whether a corporate backed brewery can be classed as a true independent. Thanks.

Any why are you even posting this up?

alcopop likes this.
  4. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

They're in Bury St Edmunds!

Twattor and editor like this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

How many more stupid questions are you going to ask here, FFS?

7. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

They have many, many pubs in London!

8. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I think he thought my comment about green king was serious.

Alex

9. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I was hoping for some enlightenment from the article below, but minimum wage not mentioned.

It does however helpfully state that Mr Rooney Anand, Greene King's CEO originally worked managing building sites for Tarmac at the age of 19.

When Anand came to Greene King, his predecessor was descended from the Kings on bis mothers side, and the nephew of Graham Greene was on the board
    Incidentally Graham Greene (as well as being a weirdly depressing novelist) was the brother of Sir Hugh Greene - Director General of the BBC 1960-1989. Under Sir Hugh we had such innovations as Z Cars and Dr Who. He did not go down too well with Mrs Mary Whitehouse and her National Viewwers and Listeners Association. Whitehouse once commented: "Greene fully understood the destructive power of the satire. Why, knowing its power, did he also use it here against family life, Christianity etc? This is the heart of our complaint against Greene."

So there you have it - Greene King is simultaneously at the heart of the establishment, and also connected with undermining decent family values.
    Greene King's Rooney Anand: 'As a CEO, you feel like your performance review is held in public every 12 weeks'

editor likes this.
  10. discobastard

Not really. Well maybe you got one over on me :D I quite liked the 'small batch' comment though.

They also do Old Speckled Hen. And since then Old Crafty Hen and Old Hoppy Hen. Which is obviously an attempt to get on the bandwagon. They're not awful, but they're not great.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  11. discobastard

It’s not an ad hominem and I’m not attacking you. The idea that BB or Beavertown are now ‘bad’ because they have taken investment from a multinational has been quiet fierce, which makes one assume that you are opposed to them. And so it is a reasonable question to ask whether you are still prepared to drink beer backed by multinationals or not. And there are always situations when one has no choice (big gigs tend to mean Heineken or Carling or some other tasteless shit or bust).

Personally I think I’m neither losing ground nor a ‘sad twat’ (thanks - is that a personal attack or not?), and if you think that asking people whether they spend money with these maligned businesses is an ‘attack’ then you’ve missed the point. I was asked recently whether I spent my money in Acre Lane Tesco (re the LLW argument). My response was not ‘how dare you ask me that’, it was to explain where I try and spend it as frequently as I can.

I’ve also said I try and drink independent small brew beer when I can. I am interested in where you stand on that bearing in mind you are quite vehemently anti-corporate.

Can’t say simpler than that really. If you don’t want to express a position that’s fine.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    alcopop and teuchter like this.
  12. discobastard

On a lighter note, I've just had a couple of glasses of Bullfinch Cascade at the Sympathetic Ear on Tulse Hill. Genuinely one of the nicest beers I've tasted for a very long time. 6%, really hazy but not with that heavy syrupy feel you often get with the cloudy beers.

Aaaaaand, it was only £3.40 for 2/3 of a pint makes it about a fiver a pint, which for a small batch brew with bar markup at that ABV makes it quite good value for money. Sadly not in cans...

IPA
    (it's the one right at the bottom of the page)

Twattor likes this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Who has called them "bad"? Where?

And despite your best efforts to sidetrack the discussion and keep bringing my personal choices into it (which I've already answered), the argument was always whether a brewery that is almost half owned by one of the biggest brewing corporate on the planet could justifiably call itself "independent."

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Interesting piece here:

Here's the original article:

Watch the Hands, Not the Cards — The Magic of Megabrew

alex_ likes this.
  15. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

I never thought I'd read the sentence " legacy premium brands (Bud and Bud Light)"!

16. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They're awful, but they are immensely popular and, as that article explains, rightly described as "premium." I didn't know that they were made from "30% rice in addition to hops and barley malt," mind.

But here's something I don't understand. Brixton Brewery say that they are still a member of the Society of Independent Brewers yet a Guardian article from last year stated:

More: Indie brewers fight back in bitter row over beer brands' craft credentials

And: Camden Town Brewery founder insists big can also be beautiful

18. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

And yesterday it was announced that Fourpure (Bermondsey) have been bought entirely by Lion (Castlemaine XXXX, Little Creatures) who are themselves owned by Kirin. Another one bites the dust.

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's really depressing. What chance have real independents got against these faux independents who now have the muscle and financial backing of cash-laden mega-corporates?