Beauty products that actually work

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Ms T, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I've found a few recently, so I've started a thread where we can share our favourites...

St Ives Timeless Skin Collagen Elastin Moisturiser - £10 for a massive pot that will last for months. Contains one of the few anti-ageing ingredients that is proven to actually work.

Boots No 7 Youthful Eye Serum - this stuff is awesome and does actually reduce the fine lines around your eyes

Clinique CC cream - also brilliant and contains SPF 30

Dermalogica Overnight Clearing Gel - a bit pricey but amazing. If you get a break-out you put it on before you go to bed and by the morning the spots have pretty much gone. My skin is reasonably good but I was having a few problems in a specific area and this sorted that out.

L'Oreal False Lash Flutter mascara - I love this

Having spent years not bothering with any of this shit, I think I've become a bit obsessed. :oops:

2. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

Bio-oil. It's good for scars, dry skin, you name it. I love it. Only drawback is that it takes ages to soak in.
    Body shop hemp handcream - incredibly moisturising.
    Astral night cream - works well and it's cheap.
    Simple hydrating light moisturiser - I've only been using this for a few months so difficult to say if it works long term but I think my skin is getting better.

Also for shampoos and conditioners I've gone over to natural ones, no sulphate, parabens etc and I really really rate this kind.

3. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Bio-oil is brilliant stuff.

I forgot: M&S Pure Super-Active Overnight Facial Oil - really good and only £6. The hot-cloth cleanser from M&S is also great and cheaper than the more famous Liz Earle one. I also like the facial brush from Boots. A lot of products, but I'm knocking on a bit and find I just have to try harder these days. :(:oops:

4. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

I use Sudocrem for that job. Yes, it makes a dog's dinner of your pillow case but it absolutely is the knees of the bees. It is good for open pores, too, which I suffer from a lot.

Argan oil is my hair's new best friend. Fantastic stuff for calming down the frizz.

Well. Don't I sound attractive. :D

catinthehat and Chick Webb like this.
  5. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

What does sudacrem do for open pores?

6. Yu_Gi_Oh

Yu_Gi_Oh 天天好心情

It's not a beauty product, but korean miso, doenjang, as a face mask makes your skin lovely. :oops:

[​IMG]

:cool:

7. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

What's that ingredient called then? I remember reading something in the Daily Mail about such a thing. Began with M I think.

8. Where from?

9. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Amazon, just bought one.

10. Cribynkle

Cribynkle squawk

SLS and paraben free shampoos made a massive difference to my hair
    Purple Emu Ltd - Redness and blemish control cream is the only thing that cleared up my rosacea, amazing stuff - but it's made of squashed up emus so not everyone's cup of tea

11. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

It seems to suck out the gunk that's in them and sort of shrink the pores down so as they're less of an eyesore.
    "Open pores seem visibly reduced" to use telly cosmetospeak.

Greebo, kittyP and quimcunx like this.
  12. Chick Webb

Chick Webb Countryfile and a can

I don't think there are many. The only miracle product I've found in the last decade has been Bare Minerals powder foundation. It works amazingly well for evenning skin tone and if you apply it right, it looks like you're not wearing makeup.

I will certainly check out some of the suggestions on this thread though. I've only noticed we have this forum just now.

13. zoooo

zoooo zero tolerance for walkers

Ooh, I could totally do with that.

14. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue Well-Known Member

no 7 perfect light pressed powder - goes on like loose powder without the hassle

15. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Interesting. So you would use it as a night cream?
    I have really open pores on cheeks and nose and am really self conscious about them. And even good coverage foundation just seems to fill them in and make them more noticeable :oops:

16. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Great thread by the way Ms T

I never know what I am buying.

Apart from Body Shop Vitamin E facial moisturiser.
    Not cheap but very moisturising while remaining light, non greasy and easily absorbed.
    Really helps spots anything else heal quickly and great under makeup.
    I scar really easily and take ages to heal. I had a cut on my forehead a while ago that I was really worried that was going to scar and with the help of this, is totally gone :)

17. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

Does Bio-oil get rid of those marks left from cuts and grazes (ie. not scars, but where your skin is a different colour)

18. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

I think it can help that yes.
    Also you can buy pure vitamin E oil for that which is brilliant.

Greebo likes this.
  19. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

More make up really but for fans of boing concealer by benefit, the Barbara Daly version from tesco is really good and a fraction of the price.

I tried my friends and it worked wonders on my dark circles.

20. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

works on my (very pale) skin.

Greebo likes this.
  21. trashpony

trashpony Ovaries and tings

My caesarian scar is almost invisible now, thanks to assiduous application of bio oil.

Probably not a massive issue for most people but I have really deepset eyes and always end up with mascara smudged underneath (even if it's waterproof). Benefit They're Real (bleugh) mascara is bomb-proof

Greebo likes this.
  22. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Cool. I have terrible dark circles from lack of iron and meds.
    Will have a look.

23. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Body moisturiser if you have slightly scaly calves and elbows- dermalogica extra rich. There appears to be no dry skin it can't deal with, doesn't smell or give you spots, absorbs quickly and no sticky stuff that attaches your skirt to your legs. And I don't have stretch marks (er, famous last words?).... I've been slathering it on, but as with so much pregnancy stuff it may be luck/genetics.

ShiftyBagLady and Greebo like this.
  24. Minnie_the_Minx

I've still got dark marks left after I fell over on last year and landed on my knee.

25. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Def worth trying- tho vit e oil also good

Greebo likes this.
  26. Minnie_the_Minx

Will have to give it a try. I've got a bottle somewhere that I bought years ago.

27. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Its a total rip-off con, based on testament marketing - because that is largely exempt from the regs on false advertising. Plain olive oil or Vitamin-e oil are at least (ie if at all) effective.

You can get the same stuff from pet shops for a tiny fraction of the price, if you want to test its effectiveness. Or rub yourself with a duck! - The only "bio"/natural source of Purecellin, the stuff in this oil is anything but.

ShiftyBagLady likes this.
  28. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Greebo likes this.
  29. Minnie_the_Minx

I shall try rubbing some oil on my knees then.

:D

pogofish likes this.
  30. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

At £50 for 100ml?! You're having a laugh aren't you? :D

St Ives Apricot Scrb for blemish prone skin is great. Smells nice, leaves your face feeling really clean and really works.