Beautiful Victorian Spitalfields shopfront gets painted over 'Butter Believe It' tossers

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Feb 19, 2019.

1. editor

editor Forked with electrons

It was in the now removed tweets.

cybershot likes this.
  2. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

a few tweeter threads have been removed - i guess a bun fight must have broken out

:p

about all that's visible is them saying they are going to work with the spitalfields trust to resolve things.

3. spitfire

spitfire Toast

I walked past tonight and although I do hear the whole "London/everywhere is always changing" argument when you put this in context with the tea room next door.....they could have made an effort.

The Pho place 2 doors up kept it muted and the other place at the end looks in context of the row.

Can't remember who the bright white one is but they've been there a while with no angry reactions I am aware of. Probably already modernised.

upload_2019-2-27_0-0-30.png

upload_2019-2-27_0-3-11.png

Attached Files:

4. dessiato

dessiato Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono

To my mind they could have saved themselves all this trouble by putting signs over the original front both top and bottom. This way the original front would have been preserved but a more modern look would have been possible.

Painting the frontage such a garish colour made it obvious that they'd changed things, and done so in what appears to be blatant disregard of the overall esthetic of the shop and its history.

They could have saved themselves a lot of grief by being more empathetic.

Ponyutd likes this.