Beautiful Victorian Spitalfields shopfront gets painted over 'Butter Believe It' tossers

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

I suspected as much :D

tim likes this.
  2. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

If you want to find interesting little shops, you have to go a long way away from all the money. Hastings and St Leonards still has lots of quirky shops. The shop rents there are in the region of 100 quid a week or less. Anywhere in London, not worth the stress, and a lot of small shop owners have given up over the last few years, hence the blandification of everything.

3. 8ball

8ball Chipperer than average

Money. Money comes and turns everything to beigeness.

Work is progressing on fixing this issue.

littlebabyjesus likes this.
  4. tonysingh

tonysingh Random Clever and Witty Strapline

This thread has made me really want an oatmeal and raisin cookie. Anyone fancy lending me 12 quid? :D

Edie likes this.
  5. 8ball

Imagine how many cookies we'll be able to afford once we've killed all the landlords. :cool:

6. editor

editor Forked with electrons

One thing is for sure: hipsters don't mind paying top dollar for Instagram-ready burgers and their essential craft beer.

Pickman's model likes this.
  7. tim

tim Well-Known Member

I've tried to be caustic on their Facebook page

Considering the practice I've had here on the "returning mother" thread, I was surprisingly mild.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  8. tim

tim Well-Known Member

A Canaryish shade of beige!

8ball likes this.
  9. editor

Barf.

littleseb, Pickman's model and tim like this.
  10. tim

tim Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Pickman's model likes this.
  11. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

Housmans

12. dessiato

dessiato Life is a lemon, and I want my money back

Even I've posted a negative comment. I "like" the standard cut and paste answers. Seems they don't properly read the comments.

13. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat hmm

While I think it looks pretty crappy, it's worth pointing out that they have apparently covered the old sign in a way that it's preserved (but no longer visible) rather than just painting over it. the 'spitalfields life' tweeter feed has a certain amount of discussion, and the people have responded with this

14. editor

Eh?!

spitfire likes this.
  15. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat hmm

I am inclined to agree...

16. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat hmm

Maybe 'I can't believe it's not bullshit' would have been more appropriate for them?

:p

spitfire and editor like this.
  17. 8ball

Yellow has anti-gravity properties. Fact.

18. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

At least the old sign has been preserved and will probably surface once again someday, it was painted over for many years - in 1996, the old sign was found under a vegetable store's sign when the shopfront was extremely skillfully restored for an episode of Maigret - apparently the shopfront was designed for the episode and only the sign is original.

42b.png olympus.png

Jim Howett’s Spitalfields Shopfronts | Spitalfields Life

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    blairsh, Wookey and spanglechick like this.
  19. TikkiB

TikkiB Well-Known Member

No, that was Verde, which was a couple of doors down and closed a couple of years ago. A C Gold sold traditional british food. Lots of sweets as I recall.

20. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat hmm

today

:)

editor, tonysingh and fishfinger like this.
  21. editor

Total result! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

dessiato and gentlegreen like this.
  22. dessiato

dessiato Life is a lemon, and I want my money back

Although I think that it's great that they'll have to restore the shopfront, I also wonder how much damage will be done to the profitability of the business. It would be a shame if it closed the business, but the owners/operators ought to have done their background checks properly before doing what they did.

23. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

....and they are fucking biscuits. Cookies my arse!

harpo and editor like this.
  24. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Tweet unavailable and I couldn't see anything on their social, what's happened?

25. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

They've made them restore the original shop front. I would imagine that's the business fucked. Hard enough to sell cakes for 45 quid, harder still when it says you sell hats on the front of your cake shop.

spitfire, gentlegreen and kabbes like this.
  26. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Thanks. Good result. Shame for them but they should have been more thoughtful.

27. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I'm sure they could keep the lovely old shop front which would look nice and hipster for them, but have something in the window and a horrible fold out sign for the street.
    I can't see the deleted tweet, but if they painted over that shop front without permission then they are dummies. . . and £12 for four biscuits?

28. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I find it bizarre that people are trying to prevent shop fronts from changing in London. The whole city undergoes a kind of continual multi dimensional death and rebirth. Go down any shopping street in the entire city and each shop will have had their front changed dozens of times. It seems arbitrary to randomly protect the odd one that's dodged the same fate.

29. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

It's literally two shops. The ones on the left of them have been allowed to paint over the original shop name but two have been singled out for no particular reason. The other one is a café that will always feel temporary. And the whole area's a fucking eyesore.

30. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Can't find reference to this anywhere? Where did you find it out?