Beautiful Days 2018, Friday 17th to Sunday 19th August.

Discussion in 'festivals' started by Badgers, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

i was expressing mystification at their success/popularity with festival promoters. If you cant slag off bands on the music forum, then i don't know what this place is coming to.

kalidarkone and Badgers like this.
  2. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Surely you just need to sit in any English field long enough and they will come to you?

3. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

At least it isn't Sheeran

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

kt's their most loyal fan, going to every festival they play at.

William of Walworth and Badgers like this.
  5. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

So is anyone else ACTUALLY going?

Pickman's model likes this.
  6. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Not me.

I've been to around 10 or 11 of them down the years, including 9 of the first 10. It got to a stage where we were just doing the same things trying to relive festivals past.

Good festival though and its not hard to see why it sells out every year.

7. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Shame :(

Teaboy and Pickman's model like this.
  8. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

Nor me. I've been unlucky enough to have been at least half a dozen, but have sworn never to put myself through it again :D I know that a lot of people love Beautiful Days, but it really isn't my cup of tea :thumbs:

Badgers likes this.
  9. mr steev

mr steev magic thought wizard

I first saw them in a field (Glastonbury) back in '94 I think (when no one had heard of them) and have seen then many times since. Tbh, I think they were better back then but I still enjoy seeing them. This gig is on my doorstep and at an independent venue that really needs some support, so it would be rude not to (gotta be better than sitting at home!) :D

10. mr steev

mr steev magic thought wizard

I went to one years ago, maybe the second one possibly, and it was great, great weather, great crowd etc. Dragged some mates to the year after and it was not so good (nothing to do with the festival) but a heavy police presence outside and on the gates, a mate got nicked and it pissed it down. The few years after all seemed to be wet ones too and it was difficult to persuade mates to give it another go (it's a fair treck from where we are)
    Happily I now have Bearded Theory close by now, which is very similar to Beautiful Days, but with more punky ska :thumbs:

Badgers likes this.
  11. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

No tickets for us yet, but I'm glad the last headliner** isn't announced until Saturday 30th June, which is payday.We'll be booking then :)

**We've been speculating, but we've had no reliable guesses yet :hmm:

12. William of Walworth

The second BD was the first I went to also, but I've been to all of them since. Thankfully, the heavy Police presence has been toned down considerably, in more recent years.

The poor weather record is definitely a thing, though. There hasn't been a BD when it hasn't rained at all, for bloody ages :mad: :(

Last year there was very little though :)

We're Bearded Theory lovers as well -- mr steev -- we'll have to arrange to meet up next time :)

13. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

They've still got tickets for the one day thingy at The Eden Project. Only one of the Eden Sessions not sold out. Seemingly people aren't enthused by a lineup that includes The Levellers, New Model Army and Dreadzone. Truly baffling.

Badgers likes this.
  14. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

Richard Thompson Electric Tio - should be good.

William of Walworth and Badgers like this.
  15. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Final announcement

16. William of Walworth

I'm very underimpressed by that Hives announcement TBH :hmm: :(

We + van will still going to the fest though :)

We'll see you somewhere on site Badgers when you don't feel like seeing a band ... :p

17. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I will be wearing a red rose in my buttonhole

18. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

Saw the Hives in Finsbury Park on Saturday and they were pretty bloomin' good tbf.

Badgers likes this.
  19. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

:eek:

Badgers likes this.
  20. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Been having a listen and like the cut of their jib

21. William of Walworth

To be fair, I intend to give them an advance Spotify listen to remind myself what they're like.

Will almost certainly give them a go live at BD also :)

Bahnhof Strasse and Badgers like this.
  22. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I bet the first fucking heavy rain of the summer will be here :mad:

23. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Bringing YOU round.....

Of course it will! It's rained on my bday weekend for at least the last 15 years!
    In fact the last time I went to bd - I got there on the Saturday cus I really couldn't be arsed- it was pissing down - I did lots of tequila and cava slammers, fell over in the mud in my white combats and nearly wet myself laughing !- it was quite good. I don't remember any bands. I left the next morning.

Badgers likes this.
  24. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

It wouldn't be BD without rain and cold overnight temperatures, after all it will be the middle of a normal British summer and we're in Devon.:facepalm:

Badgers likes this.
  25. William of Walworth

I remain optimistic.

All the technical forecasts over the next two weeks look fantastic -- and very settled. So they could easily survive beyond :)

Badgers likes this.
  26. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

It would make for a pleasant change.

Badgers likes this.
  27. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Got my ticket :cool:

Given my financial status I almost regret it :facepalm: but never hurts to do a festival on a budget :hmm:

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  28. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

One of the better ones for bringing your own booze. No real limit to take in and then no arena to have to deal with. Food is another matter but its expensive at most festivals. At Beatherder one stall wanted £6 for a portion of sweet potato fries. :eek:

Bahnhof Strasse and Badgers like this.
  29. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I have a basic camping stove and will be bringing a bag of Pot Noodles, Peperami, tinned crap, biscuits and such. Will probably still end up with a bacon roll and something else hot each day :hmm:

Also a couple of cases of cider, box of wine and a bottle of vodka/gin saves a LOT of money versus some other corporate festivals

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  30. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Also BDs allows BBQ cooking so might take down a disposal (or this) and fill myself up the first couple of days :D